• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Gamecube component on a PAL DOL-001 (EUR)

meizumintyboi

i own a mod chipped viper gc extreme gamecube, with full size dvd case.
it plays all games pal, ntsc..
now this is a DOL-001 not DOL-101 gc so as far as i have understood its digital av out still works.
so will component, dvi? (s-vid was removed from pal version all together and i think so was dvi not so sure about that and as far as i understood from forums component still works)

and another thing all pal games apparently only run at 50Hz/60Hz interlaced, whereas ntsc are 480p (480x720)

so will my gc reproduce res of 480p using the component/dvi?

will the pal games work at 480p?

is there dvi for pal dol-001 ngc's?

is there much diff between the digital av out option and the analogue av out?

TFT's being used on is a 20.1" HD LG M208WA & 32" HD Samsung

much thanks

meizumintyboi

sorry to be a bother and raise the topic as it has been many times before, but it's all more and relevant & specific to my own set-up

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
so will my gc reproduce res of 480p using the component/dvi?

Most but not all NTSC Gamecube games support 480p over component.

will the pal games work at 480p?

Unlike NTSC Gamecube games PAL games will not run 480p.

is there dvi for pal dol-001 ngc's?

Unsure on this one.

is there much diff between the digital av out option and the analogue av out?

If you're using a component cable to enable progressive scan then that will plug into the Digital AV Out socket, the original AV cable that was supplied with the console will need to be connected to the other socket as usual to output the sound via the phono cables.

Hope that helps.

meizumintyboi

when i said is there much diff between analogue & digital i meant is there a lot of difference between the graphics/cotrasts & detail

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
when i said is there much diff between analogue & digital i meant is there a lot of difference between the graphics/cotrasts & detail

Well there really is only analogue output from the Gamecube(even component is analogue), as with the Wii also. There is a massive difference in picture quality between composite video & component video if that's what you mean? A much more colourful/vibrant & sharp image using component, especially in 480p.

meizumintyboi

ok thats the main thing, so why does the component come out of the digital av slot if its analogue?

bonzobanana

ok thats the main thing, so why does the component come out of the digital av slot if its analogue?

Thats actually a good point. As far as I know all the output signals from the digital port were analogue. I don't think there was a dvi option anywhere and even the weird jap only cable that uses the digital port is still analogue I think. I suspect there are a few digital signals on the port that were never utilised by anything. Probably future expansion that they never bothered with.

With a pal gamecube and a component cable you can get 576i and 480i out of uk games although not all support 480i 60hz mode. Using freeloader you can get 480i and 480p using usa/jap games although not all usa/jap games support 480p progressive scan. Generally gamecube games are 4:3 aspect so the resolution is 640x480 rather than 720x480 (which is widescreen). The wii natively supports widescreen in its games so is 720x480. You can also get a widescreen display of only 640x480 resolution but thats stretched horizontally by the gpu itself so your not actually getting the 720 pixel resolution. Hope that makes some sort of sense.

meizumintyboi

yes i do understand the different resolutions, but TBH i CBA to spend such an amount of money on such an old console just on a cable becuase it's so rare

BTW my NGC is mod chipped with the GC Viper Extreme USB with cobra 1.9a firmware, so it plays all games; copied, homebrew, NTSC, PAL

Thanks for the info though, didn't know that some PAL games could do the higher resolutions, I've got a 20.1" HD LG M208WA would it be worthit for me to spend £45 on a NGC cable for a screen this size? I am currently using the official composite cable & for some reason it displays my NGC games slightly to the left with borders on left & right

bonzobanana

I flogged my gamecube component cable on ebay for £26 because I couldn't tell the difference between component and RGB scart on my Panasonic plasma and the component socket was in use on the panasonic anyway so didn't need it. The gamecube RGB scart cable was from amazon marketplace for 99p plus postage. It was a combined xbox, ps2 and gamecube RGB scart cable. Works great although only if you only connect one of those consoles not all three or even two together at the same time. The standard composite cable is crap but a cheap RGB scart cable might be all you need for improved visuals.

meizumintyboi

i presume your plasma is HD? so many ppl say the component is way better, did the component come out of the digital AV out slot? thanks for the info

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
i presume your plasma is HD? so many ppl say the component is way better, did the component come out of the digital AV out slot? thanks for the info

I went from 3rd party RGB scart, to official Nintendo RGB scart, to official Nintendo component cable with my Gamecube console. Personally I found a considerable step up between each of those, obviously component being by far the best(even the GF could notice the improvement and she's not into consoles). A much sharper, brighter & more colourful image.

Only the official component cable connects through the digital AV socket, the scart connects through the same socket as the original composite video cable slots into.

meizumintyboi

ok i thought there should be a big difference, maybe he had a 3rd party component cable that came out of the analogue slot & therefore not HDTV (component)

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
ok i thought there should be a big difference, maybe he had a 3rd party component cable that came out of the analogue slot & therefore not HDTV (component)

Actually there weren't any third party component cables for the Gamecube, one of the reason the official ones are so sought after(along with the fact they were pretty much always in short supply).

Of course when it comes to cabling you're never going to get everyone in agreement, I've even heard people comment they can't see any difference between composite video & component cable with various consoles. Guess it's down to each individuals whether they can see the improvements, not to mention what screen you're viewing the image on. Personally I never regretted shelling out for the component cable & I wouldn't have gone back even though I could easily have made good profit selling the cable on(at one point they were selling for close to £50 on ebay:eek:).

I remember upgrading to one of the pearl white gamecubes at one point as I loved the look of it. Soon sold it on though when I realised it didn't have the Digital AV socket(some of the later ones didn't have it so there was no way to connect component).

meizumintyboi

well i personally think i would have no problem noticing the difference between composite, scart & component & with a decent screen LCD 20.1" LG 16:10 HD M208WA 3000:1 CR 1680x1050

I will buy later but I've just dished out a lump of £££ on upgrades for my gaming rig

bonzobanana

Yes my plasma is hd but of course the gamecube isn't. The thing is the panasonic plasma does its own de-interlacing and does it very well. Its not uncommon for people not to notice much difference between RGB-scart and standard definition interlace component signals on a good set. There isn't really much difference between them and to be honest from my experience an RGB signal tends to be if anything a bit better than component anyway. VGA which I suppose you could say was comparable to high definition modes on component and uses RGB like scart I tend to find a bit better than component. My third party 360 VGA cable gives a better picture than the component cable supplied with a premium 360. I originally bought a component cable for my gamecube because I used a Panasonic AE100 projector and that didn't have any RGB inputs apart from VGA which the gamecube couldn't use so got the component cable. However trying out the component cable against the RGB scart cable showed little difference. Both highlighted the quite low resolution of the gamecube with pinpoint accuracy.

The thing is the panasonic plasmas are fully configured and designed for europe and do RGB scart well. As is the case with most european manufacturers like Thomson and Philips (not that Panasonic is european). However a lot of plasma/lcd sets don't do RGB well and component is much better than RGB scart. I think the Panasonic plasmas for europe are made in europe in somewhere like czechoslovakia where as many plasmas sold in europe are fully made in china.

just21

Standard Member
I bought a second hand gamecube on ebay to play rogue squadron on a panasonic th42px80 plasma but I am only getting a black and white picture from the analog cable plugged into the component port. Do I need the digital cable or is it another issue? Would I better plugging into a scart socket with a converter?

thx

bonzobanana

I'm not sure but you may be confusing the composite cable that you get with the gamecube with that of component. Component is a special cable with 3 phono connectors and they are for video only. You still need to use the cable that came with the gamecube for audio as that also has 3 phonos but one is composite video and the other two are left and right audio. So to use component on a gamecube you have to make use of both cables and make 5 connections in total to the back of a px80. 3 to the component port and 2 to the audio in phonos. Considering that gamecube component cables are probably still quite expensive your best bet is a scart rgb cable for your gamecube. The px80 has two fully wired RGB compatible scart sockets. Which is rare for plasmas as brands like lg, samsung etc only feature one and I personally don't think they do as good a job with RGB scart either. Only early uk gamecubes feature the digital port that is needed for the component cable too. So RGB scart may be your only option anyway.

Many people complain about scart RGB not being that good on their plasma with a gamecube and then admit they are using the second scart socket on a brand that doesn't feature RGB on its second scart so they are only watching composite quality which is exactly the same as the supplied cable. To see the quality of RGB scart you need to make sure you plug it into a scart socket that is capable and configured for RGB. Scart is capable of receiving composite, s-video and RGB and sometimes a set has to be configured between s-video and RGB to receive either properly. Many second scart sockets on plasmas and lcds are either composite only or s-video. Some older and/or cheaper plasmas and LCD sets don't even have RGB on their first scart socket its either composite only or s-video/composite.

Progressive isn't a higher resolution than interlace its a higher frame rate. With a 480p signal you are getting 60 frames per second at 640x480. Where as a pal game of interlace 576i is giving you a resolution of 640x576i at 50hz which when the plasma deinterlaces gives you a resolution of 640x576p which is 50 frames per second but it repeats each frame twice and only has 25 unique frames compared to 60 unique frames with 480p from a usa gamecube game in progressive mode. Depending on how good your television deinterlaces determines how good the quality of visuals and animation is.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom