1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube Component cable.

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Pulsar, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hello.

Today I dropped on a bargain American switched Gamecube with 3 games, 2 pads and a memory card for £100.:clap:

I am currently running it through an s-video cable, but would like to be using the component video inputs on my projector. I have tried a number of online vendors, but with little success in finding a component cable. The only place that have stock are lik-sang?? but I have been advised they can be a bit dodgy. Does anyone else have an opinion on them?

Also in anyone knows where I can find such a cable, pref in the UK, then let me know.

Cheers

Rob

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know if "dodgy" is the right word to describe Lik-Sang Rob. They certainly sell some "dodgy" stuff but your orders will be safe and secure with them. I simply don't like using Lik-Sang because they are a little import unfriendly and their customer services can be lacking :rolleyes:.

I've never had any orders go missing when I used to use Lik-Sang so from that point of view, they are ok.

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hi Groundy.

Sorry if I misunderstood. Maybe I will place my order with them, unless anyone else can suggest somewhere better/cheaper?

Cheers

Rob

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lik-Sang is actually the cheapest of the online retailers mate. If you want to buy from the UK, then I highly recommend:

http://www.next-gen.co.uk

It's more expensive than importing yourself, unless offcourse you get hit for import duty/VAT. If you're in a hurry though, the service at Next-Gen is second to none :). PM "museumsteve" via these forums as he runs Next-Gen.

5. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hmmmmm,

Next Gen will charge me £42.50 delivered:eek:
    Lik Sang will charge £25 delivered with a 5-12 day wait.

I will have to think about this for a day or so.

Rob

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

You won't find it any cheaper in the UK mate. Steve might give you free p&p if you tell him I sent you ;).

Alternatively, go with Tronix or NCSX, even though they are out of stock. They usually get them in every few days.

7. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Cheers Groundy.

I will consult the powerful one (The missus) and maybe place an order. It seems crazy to spend £40 on a lead when I got the machine and loads of extras for £100. Don't get me wrong, i don't skimp on leads, infact it scares me to think how much money I have spent on cabling:eek:

Will probably buy from Next Gen, but free delivery would seal it though.

Thanks again

Rob

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The problem is not with the cost of the cable - it's as good a quality as some of the best HC cables - the problem is how cheap the damn Gamecube is :D.

9. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    :clap: :rotfl: GOD BLESS NINTENDO:rotfl: :clap:

In all honesty, is it a good quality cable?

Rob

10. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's a great quality cable - the breakdown is as follows:

Outer sheath is protected via a 99.999 Oxygen Free Tinned Copper Braid. Inside this is a paper wrap which contains the 3 individual Component Video wires. Each wire is tightly wrapped in Aluminium Mylar screening foil. The outer sheath of each indivdual wire is a Low Loss Foamed LPDE Dielectric. The wire conductors are tinned copper. The Phono Plugs are moulded Gold Plated.

Overall, it is very good quality.

11. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    SOLD:)

12. gunnie4

gunnie4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I picked one up on E bay in the UK for £15.00. Give it a try. I run my US cube through a component projector the Progressive scan image is suberb.

Goog luck

13. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can an NTSC Component RGB cable be used on a PAL machine? I'm about to order mine from lik-sang and want to make sure it'll work first!:D

14. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes it can :). Be prepared to pay import Duty if ordering from Lik Sang though ;).

15. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm flying over to LA on business in just under a fortnight, but I can't wait that long!:D

16. Ron Hill

Ron Hill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy: Are you saying that the official Nintendo component AV cable actually works on an unmodified PAL gamecube? Nintendo contradict this on their sites. What about progressive scan on unmodified PAL cubes. What's the real story there then? I have a TV with component input but the Nintendo info (and the cable FAQ on Lik-Sang) say this cable won't work with PAL cubes.

Oh and HI to a fellow Norn Ironer. :)

17. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Ron,

That's exactly what I'm saying :). The Component cable works fine on the PAL Cube. Disregard Lik-Sang and anything else you hear to the contrary. You will only get interlaced Component though as it seems Nintendo have removed the Progressive capability from the Pal Cube. The interlaced Component image is better than the native PAL RGB Scart so if you have a TV than can take Componet (i.e., Toshiba), then you should take advantage of it.

18. Ron Hill

Ron Hill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Groundy. I've been wondering about this for AGES. Where's best to get the component A/V cable?

.. oh and yes, the telly is a lovely Tosh 36ZP. :)

19. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Tokuda on www.ntsc-uk.com does them for £25 inc deliv. He's well known & respected on there.

20. Ron Hill

Ron Hill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Willy. I had a look on the ntsc-uk site but can't see the link to the cable. Can you point me in the right direction?

21. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. Ron Hill

Ron Hill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..and thankyou again. Now i'm on ANOTHER forum. Arrgh. I feel like i'm being absorbed by "The Matrix" slowly but surely. :)

23. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem mate.

24. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having real problems with people who say Scart RGB and Component are a million times etc better than 'crappy' composite.

Let me explain, Groundy's previous posts have confirmed that a Component cable will work on the PAL cube but progressive scan wont be supported.
    I didnt have any complaints with Composite on my Panasonic Quintrix F TV (imported) , but decided to buy the Component cable from Lik-Sang based on the fact that people are saying the difference between Composite and Scart RGB is 'Astounding' and the fact that Im a perfectionist.

Anyway, Im now flicking between Composite and Component on my TV like a mad man and the *only* difference is that the small amount of colour bleeding dissapears, the colour, brightness quality etc all stays the same.
    I am not astounded at all, and yes I am a perfectionist hence spending a third of the price of a Gamecube on the cable.

So what is going on here? is my TV just producing an excellent Composite display? or is the Component display below par?

Seems to me there is too much hype surrounding cables, considering it doesnt affect game play like it did in the old days of RF cables and interference.

The only way Im going to confirm a result is to get a UK Quintrix F TV with Scart RGB and run 2 cubes side by side.

25. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In my experience, the differences between Composite (CVBS) and Component (YPrPb) are huge. The differences between RGB and Component are less so and depend more upon the capabilities of the source & display equipment as to which yields the best image.

If you're not noticing a significant improvement between Composite and Component then I'm not sure what is going on :confused:.

26. Ron Hill

Ron Hill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I have to be honest here. I'm currently using the bog standard out of the box composite cable and I have to say I don't really have any issues with the picture quality. There is some slight tizzing at edges but nothing intrusive on the gameplay. It's the perfectionist in me that that's crying out for the component connection to be used. I don't expect a quantum leap in performance.

27. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Erpland,
    You're not enough of a perfectionist if you can't notice any real difference between the two. Colours ar far more vibrant in RGB Scart/Component and the edges are far more defined with next to zero bleeding. There's no intereference onscreen, no flicker or shimmering.

They are WORLDS apart. View the two signals on an RPTV to be absolutely dumbfounded!

I got Metroid Prime in today, a game which I've waited nearly a year for, and now it's here I'd rather wait till I've got the component cable to play it on my plasma. The experience IMO will be ruined by composite.

28. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Thought I might add my 2 pence worth here.

I still don't have a gamecube component cable, money is a bit tight at the moment and i don't have 40 quid to spare. I have made an enquiry with Tokuda on www.ntsc-uk.com so lets hope he can come up with the goods.

Getting back to the subject, I also have a PS2 which I ran through s-video into my projector for a while. Now s-video is regarded as a better signal than composite, but worse than component/RGB and I found the picture quality to be fair. When I upgraded to a component video connection, it was like cleaning your specs. (wouldn't know cos I don't ware 'em, but can imagine.) The colours are so much brighter, better defined and the edge deffinition is great. As you can imagine, seeing this improvement on a 72" diagonal screen does have quite an impact. So now I am on a crusade to connect everything through component video (My Sony PJ doesn't accept scart) and will not play my gamecube through composite.

So my conclusion is that component video is great and composite is poo, but maybe it depends on your display??

Cheers

Rob.

:boring: I can see it now......... Metroid Prime......... 72" screen...... :clap: :boring:

29. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pulsar, I got mine from lik-sang for £21.50!!!
    And yes Metroid on a 42" plasma is joy (see my site), but on a 72" it must be immense.

30. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can I just add something here.

The display is just as important as the type of signal being received. It is true that RGB/Component is 'miles' better
    than composite. However if your TV is very good then it will
    produce good composite images and only marginal improvements
    in RGB/component. If you have an average TV, then you will
    probably see a big improvement. I have a Loewe Planus
    and the composite images from all sources (digbox/ps2/gamecube/DVD) are only marginally improved by RGB. However, I also have an AE100 and the composite reproduction is terrible compared to component.

Azzo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.