1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube Component Cable

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by ajbeech, Jun 2, 2005.

1. ajbeech

ajbeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I know this has been covered numerous times (I spend some time last night reading all the guff), but what I still havent found an answer to is whether
    the component cable will produce a significantly better quality image than the
    RGB scart cable - I've just purchased a Hitachi 42PD7200 and I'm looking to get the best possible image. It looks good using the scart cable already, but I'm always interested in improving PQ. Note, my GC is a day of release PAL model with digital out and I dont import games from the US, so I'm not too worried about progessive scan......

Ta.

2. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    The quality of picture produced will be marginally better using the component cables if you're NOT using prog scan. If you do use prog scan, then there is a large quality difference, and it looks gorgeous!!

3. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yep, I'd be with the little better but not massively so view. It also may be a bit of a hassel, depending on your set-up, that you have to run the sound separately. If the separate cable for sound is not a problem I'd say go for component - it's probably won't improve the picture that much but you'll always worry that it might. If you'll be forever changing selecting different sound/picture sources I wouldn't bother.

Nick

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    A friend has a Techwood plasma display (same as goodmans) and the RGB scart quality on that is rubbish. I've also noted other plasma's and lcds that don't give a great RGB quality image. Your best bet to check your Hitachi is borrow someone's dvd player that has both component and scart RGB output and make a comparision with that on your Hitachi. Then try both outputs (don't connect both leads at the same time to the dvd player, just one cable at a time).

If you then try;

1. scart rgb output
    2. component
    3. progressive component

You'll know by comparing pictures what your Hitachi is capable of.

Sometimes you find the difference between progressive and non progressive component is only slight due to the display's own deinterlacer. This is perfectly normal.