Gamecube Component Cable Question

Epicurus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I recently got hold of a platinum Cube and hooked it up via supplied composite to my HD LCD. It looks pretty fuzzy and dreadful, much worse than my original black cube looked on a CRT (now happily living in a foreign country).

Scart also looks dreadful on the LCD (tested with the black before it moved abroad) and I can guess s-video will look bad too.

So it is tempting me to get a component cable from Ebay or Liksang/Play-Asia as my new Cube has the digital . The thing is I am not sure how it will affect my UK Pal games.

What resolution is the Cube running at via composite or scart leads? Will 480interlaced with the component make a noticeable improvement? Will having a higher quality connection like the component cable by itself give a better quality picture regardless of any resolution change?

Thanks for any help.

On my pal games I've noticed quite a drastic improvement.

Windwaker as an example looks absolutely incredible, switching between the composite and component when it's running is like :eek: .

Completely worth the money in my opinion.

(get it!)

Epicurus said:
I recently got hold of a platinum Cube and hooked it up via supplied composite to my HD LCD. It looks pretty fuzzy and dreadful, much worse than my original black cube looked on a CRT (now happily living in a foreign country).

Scart also looks dreadful on the LCD (tested with the black before it moved abroad) and I can guess s-video will look bad too.

So it is tempting me to get a component cable from Ebay or Liksang/Play-Asia as my new Cube has the digital . The thing is I am not sure how it will affect my UK Pal games.

What resolution is the Cube running at via composite or scart leads? Will 480interlaced with the component make a noticeable improvement? Will having a higher quality connection like the component cable by itself give a better quality picture regardless of any resolution change?

Thanks for any help.

just using the component cable you will see a big difference in the sharpness and colour contrast in games. I went from S-video thru a scart block and it was a big jump. If you enable prog-scan mode (hold b button on boot up and select YES) you will be running in true 480p. Its def worth it. get the cable and you will see :)

currently playing wind waker and it looks gorgeous :D

Thanks for the advice guys, exactly what I wanted to hear so I will order one.

P.s. from my understanding progressive scan is only a function of NTSC games not Pal?

Make sure its a cube with the relevent Digi out on the back. The later ones apparently do not have both video outputs like mine (analogue/digital)

Yeah thanks for advice but Id already checked that, it was an old Windwaker Plat Pack that I got from Toys R Us for £30. Guess it had been sitting on their shelves for a couple of years!

Epicurus said:
Thanks for the advice guys, exactly what I wanted to hear so I will order one.

P.s. from my understanding progressive scan is only a function of NTSC games not Pal?
its a bit of a grey rea and varies from game to game but the 576i output for PAL games is much better than RGB scart which gave me horrible horrizontal lines on a 42" PDP

Epicurus said:
Yeah thanks for advice but Id already checked that, it was an old Windwaker Plat Pack that I got from Toys R Us for £30. Guess it had been sitting on their shelves for a couple of years!

Just noticed as I posted :)

Your best bet is to get the region free games playing thingy from Datel, then get yourself games from the US.

You will then be able to run the games in 480p. Only then will you see an improvement over RGB scart or interlaced component.

Just looked at the Component cable at Lik-sang and it only shows 3 leads that plug into the TV, Doesnt a component normaly have 5 as to carry sound also? :confused:

Sorry just worried as the cube doesnt have a optical

Anotherlimey said:
Just looked at the Component cable at Lik-sang and it only shows 3 leads that plug into the TV, Doesnt a component normaly have 5 as to carry sound also? :confused:

Sorry just worried as the cube doesnt have a optical

my component cable only carries video. connects to the digital out.

sound is carried via the analogue out.

kez said:
my component cable only carries video. connects to the digital out.

sound is carried via the analogue out.

Oh so i can use the original analogue lead to connect the sound to my 5.1 system ? :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom