1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube Component Cable question

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Frankeh, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,431
    Hi mate,

I've recently opted for a similar set-up. I have the Sanyo Z1 hooked up via component. All I use for now is the standard red/white cables that came with the cube(the one that you can plug the scart socket in one end). So you'll be using the other socket from the back of your cube(besie the digital a/v) to carry your audio to your amp.

Hope that makes sense, playing Resi4 in proscan is amazing, a sight to behold :D

3. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As Tetlee said. You'll still need to use your original cable for the sound as the component cable is purely for video.

Been using my Gamecube for ages now with a component cable and you really do notice a difference in quality.

4. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you just play original PAL games on a PAL GC in pregressive scan then?
    no mods required?

whats the max res on PAL games in prog scan, 480?

Apologies for my mistunderstanding, but I thought you needed an NTSC GC and NTSC game so you could use the Component lead for progressive scan output...

cheers.

5. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't know all the technical details, only that my PAL Gamecube can use the component video on all my games (which are all PAL with the exception of Winning Eleven).

All I can say is that the output is far crisper than using the standard composite lead. It looks as if you're viewing the games on a PC monitor rather than a TV.

I have a feeling that you can only do this with older Gamecubes and that the component output has been disabled (or rather not enabled) on later models, but I could be wrong.

6. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Prog Scan is only available on NTSC games that support it. You can certainly use the component cable on PAL games, and it will definitely look a lot better than using the composite cable, but there is not much of a difference between component and RGB when playing PAL games.

The digital output has been removed completely from more recent GameCubes, both PAL and NTSC.

7. Shensuke

Shensuke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the component cable on my imported U.S Gamecube, there's a huge improvement in video quality on my TV (especially fro games that support prog scan)

As far as I know, U.K PAL games don't support progressive scan, but using this cable still gives an improvement in video quality, but without progressive scan i.e it's about the same as a good quality RGB scart cable. RGB Scart or the more expensive component? Depends on your TV, you decide.

btw, Resident Evil 4 doesn't support progressive scan, you can switch this mode on at the start of the game, but it makes no difference (ther's no mention of prog scan support on the games disc's back cover, & I've read reviews that confirm this - source, www.ign.com).

UK PAL games are displayed at a resolution of well over 500 vertical lines. NTSC games/movies have a resolution of 480 vertical lines.

I bought my component cable from www.mx2.co.uk (dunno if they still stock the item).

8. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,431
    You must've missed something there :confused: , it mentions pro scan at least twice in the IGN review. It certainly does support it, just not in true 16:9 widescreen. I had both PAL & NTSC versions of Resi4 for a while and can confirm that running the NTSC version in pro scan is superior :D

9. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a very early GC, got it when it first came out, so i guess my digital port is enabled...
    So I need NTSC games to get prog scan...right.
    How do i play NTSC games on my PAL GC then, what do i need for that?
    cheers

10. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,431
    Hi mate, you'll be needing a freeloader disk, can get them in Game for £10, then you'll just load that disk before putting the game disk in, hold down "B"(red button) while loading game disk and enable progressive scan :thumbsup: . Oh, and of course you'll need a component cable, just seen someone selling one over in classified section for about £20, good price as it's hard to find.

Hope that helps,

Lee.