1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube- best cables?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Wiggins, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi everyone, I own a standard Pal Gamecube and have been enjoying it for a few years now. Unfortunately I have recently noticed a slight defect in the image. I can see diagonal "lines" running from top left to bottom right all along the screen. It isn't exactly ruining the experience for me, but in scenes of predominantly one colour (such as sky scenes like in Rebel Strike 3) it gets a bit much. I got a projector at Xmas, and just imported Resi 4 and want to enjoy it to its fullest, but until I get the image sorted I don't want to bother.
    Currently, I am using a scart cable from the GC, which came with the machine, although it isn't the official inbox cable (I bought the GC secondhand off Ebay). I've no idea what make the cable is (it is supposed to be RGB though)- it is purple in colour if that helps!
    Basically, I assume I will have to get another cable, but I don't know which to get. I'm considering an s-video one at the moment. Can anyone make recommendations of decent cables for the GC and where to get them from?
    Shops in town are pretty much useless so far and reviews of official Nintendo cable have been quite bad.
    Cheers

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    PAL Gamecube's can't output S-Video, Nintendo removed that capability in favour of an RGB scart signal.

Are you sure that your RGB cable is actually an RGB cable? The vast majority that claim to be RGB in fact aren't. Your best options are either an official Nintendo RGB scart lead or trying to import an official Nintendo component lead.

3. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    you can find a monster rgb cable for the gamecube from comet for about #20-25.

4. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The official Nintendo Scart or a component is the way to go ,they are out of stock at www.lngsang.com so you may be ableto add it to your wish list !....Jim

5. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the advice everyone. TBH I'm not sure that my current cable is RGB- I just guessed it was as I usually run games in 60hz mode and thought this was not possible with a standard scart. The main thing was I wanted the cable to have seperate audio outs so I could connect up to my amp as well as projector.
    Thanks again.

6. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    60hz is possible with all cables, does you gamecube show up on the RGB av channel?

7. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah- I've got it connected to the AV1 which is the RGB one and it shows up no problem. Like I said though- it's just those damn annoying lines. And they appear in both 50 and 60hz- obviously a problem with the cable (shows up when connected to another tv). I assume it is not likely to be a problem with the cube itself?

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its the cable mate, get a component cable or official RGB cable

9. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks everyone- the only place that has an official scart in stock is special Reserve, for £17.99. I tried comet's website for the Monster cable, but it appears that they no longer sell Gamecube's. Typical.