gamecube 480p or 480i? Much difference?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by uchiha_itachi, Mar 22, 2006.

1. uchiha_itachi

uchiha_itachi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hiya,

I have used the search functions and gone through the plethora of posts regarding the progressive scan function. And as I am aware of how to activate the gamecubes progressive scan feature, I have one question.

Now, this is my situation. I have a PAL Gamcube, but it does contain the digital av out port. I also have a freeloader disc and have now started to buy ntsc,american games. However my problem is trying to find a component cable for the gamecube, at a non-extortionate price. And coupled with the fact that at the moment I have no tv/display with progressive scan support or component input. Now I have just picked up the official nintendo rgb scart cable from ebay for less than £15. I understand that using this cable I can acheive 480i? Is that correct. I do have a tv which is scart/rgb compatible.

So the question, (finally) is that is it worth the extra money in buying a new tv with progressive scan support and then paying ridiculous money for the component cables over my existing setup with the rgb scart cable? Is the quality difference that much better?

Would appreciate input from people who have seen/experienced both setups active.

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Hi

I've seen the Gamecube on a Panasonic PWD6 in both RGB SCART and Progressive Component.

I'd say that if you already had a progressive display, you would be nuts not to shell out for the cable. It really does make a noticible difference and is well worth doing.

However, I wouldn't say its reason enough in its own right to go out and buy a new TV!

Steve

3. uchiha_itachi

uchiha_itachi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I remember reading somewhere, (not sure if it was these forums or elsewhere) that if your display has component in and rgb scart then the rgb scart is not comparable, i.e. as good quality to a display which only has rgb scart.

In other words they scale down the quality of rgb scart if the tv has progressive scan support. Sounds absurd but you never know. I suppose I shall just wait until the rgb scart cable arrives.

Also I was looking at this lcd tv as a possible purchase:

http://www.hyundaiq.com/pro_hql200nr.asp

It has progressive scan and rgb scart. Also I can pick it up in the region of £330'ish. What do u think?

4. RossallB

RossallB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Progressive is better believe me, I bought an UK gamecube and an official RGB cable on release, and got most of the top games for it. When I bought a new tv with component inputs on it, I thought I would buy a US game, being the UK versions aren't Progressive. I bought Mario Kart Double Dash on NTSC and compared it to the UK Mario Kart DD on RGB, the progressive is much better, smoother and more detailed, so I ended up selling all my UK games and buying the ones I wanted back in NTSC for the progressive function. Didn't work out all that expensive in the end, but like you mentioned the Nintendo Component lead was a bit pricey at £15.
    Hope this helps, although I am sure some people will be happy or prefer RGB, on my setup the NTSC Progressive was much better.
    There are additional things to consider, your Gcube must have the Digital port, you must use Freeloader to load the NTSC games on the UK game cube, since the Component cable doesn't have audio on it, you will have to use the analogue input with the Composite audio cable to get sound, oh and alot of NTSC games you have to hold B down on bootup to enable the Progressive function.
    :thumbsup:

5. uchiha_itachi

uchiha_itachi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    £15 isn't pricey at all, however the cheapest I have found the component lead for is about £40-£50 recently. Costs more than the bleeding console!

I have the digital out on my cube, also got a freeloader, and am now starting to buy only ntsc games. Although one thing RossallB, is that did you notice a difference when playing NTSC games on rgb compared to PAL on rgb? Was there any difference in quality? (I am assuming that you played in pal 60hz)

Thanks for your input!

6. RossallB

RossallB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    £40-£50 is extortionate. Must be very hard to get hold of now then, I have had my cable 18months or so.
    Never actually tried NTSC games on RGB to be honest, most of my tv's actually support full NTSC, always check to make sure they do before purchasing with having a good few old NTSC only consoles. So can't answer the question, the only none progressive games I have now are PAL versions of Resident Evil, and Resident Evil Zero, which arent Progressive scan compatible on NTSC anyway.
    Make sure you check the NTSC games you get are compatible with Progressive as they aren't all :)

7. uchiha_itachi

uchiha_itachi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, you've got the alarm bells ringing now. Whats full NTSC? I have to admit I am a complete av noob. I have been using a single sony trinitron tv for the past, God knows how long, with my american snes and american N64. So I am assuming that this tv is a full NTSC tv, right?

Also what do I have to look for in the specifications to know if it is full ntsc enabled? For example the tv I posted a link to above:

http://www.hyundaiq.com/pro_hql200nr.asp

Is that full ntsc enabled?

8. RossallB

RossallB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sony tv's especially older models were alway fully NTSC compatible, I can't remember the exact system name, I am too busy at work today to find out, if I get time tomorrow I will try and get the info for you. Some tv's although they do NTSC, its kind of PAL 60hz if that makes sense. Not sure on the link for the LCD you sent you would need a tech manual for it, if theres one on there sorry, missed will check tomorrow for you if I can.