GAME UK - 'Traders' not allowed to shop there?

Morphiar

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just had a very strange incident whilst shopping in GAME, and to be honest it was quite embarrassing too.

Was just browsing the 3 for 2 in GAME, checking a price on my phone to see if it was a cheap deal, making sure I get a bargain and don't overpay. An employee (manager?) came running over saying that I'm a 'trader' and won't be served as they deem I am taking advantage of their prices. They were really confrontational and quite aggressive - I am so shocked. All this happened in front of other people who were shopping in there at the time.

I have been in the shop about 3 times in total because most of the stuff is overpriced - how do they distinguish who is a 'trader' and a 'normal customer'? Would it be a problem if I was to buy 3 games, keep 2 and shift the 3rd game on in some way?

My assumption is that because I took my phone out of my pocket, they immediately thought I was some form of 'trader' looking to take advantage of their prices. Personally I don't see why it matters - I'm paying the same currency, not looking for a discount, and you'd think they would appreciate getting my money in their till.

They eventually agreed to let me buy 3 games maximum but I decided to just leave instead... very bizarre incident... I am reluctant to go back there again too as I'd feel very uncomfortable browsing in there with that particular person working there watching me.

Has anyone had a similar experience to this in GAME or any other shop?

Is there a Cex nearby? Sounds like you were harshly treated, what does it matter if you did buy something at their marked price? Yours to do with how you wish, but there has been to and fro between Cex and Game in the past.

Now if you we're buying 25 PS5 or Series X consoles, I could understand some push back, but they'd love that kind of stock atm lol..

Is there a Cex nearby? Sounds like you were harshly treated, what does it matter if you did buy something at their marked price? Yours to do with how you wish, but there has been to and fro between Cex and Game in the past.

Now if you we're buying 25 PS5 or Series X consoles, I could understand some push back, but they'd love that kind of stock atm lol..
There's a CEX right next door. The employee said 'head office' are cracking down on people abusing their 'cheap prices' and making a profit. So because of this, the employee basically attacks anyone who whips their phone out in store and automatically assumes they are a 'trader'. It's really bizarre behaviour... perhaps they get paid a bonus for outing a 'trader'.

Yes agreed, I'm paying the marked price same as anyone else would have been doing, but for some reason my money isn't as good... I did make this point at the time, but they said the 'end consumer' who gets the game will be paying more for it and it's not fair on them. But, how do they distinguish whether the games are for me or not, I really don't know... Needless to say they lost a customer today and I'm be reluctant to go back.

I wouldn't be going back there, sod em if they don't want your business. Nothing to do with them what you do with the games. If they think they are too cheap then they should up the price.

I'd also complain about it just to see what reply you get.

I always whip my phone out to compare prices to Amazon and such.

Odd practice, would write a letter to head office and see what they have to say about this.

I always whip my phone out to compare prices to Amazon and such.

Odd practice, would write a letter to head office and see what they have to say about this.
Don't have to do that in CEX as you know it's cheaper on Amazon always, sometimes even new :D

In the few times I've visited Game I've always checked the price on my phone before (considering) heading to the till.. it's very rare I head to the till.

Bizarre tactics from the store staff, I'm not sure they can afford to lose potential customers.

I’ve only ever bought from Game if I couldn’t get it anywhere else. Cheap prices are not synonymous with Game store.

Edit - also, what business of theirs is it if you get your phone out whilst in store? You could be texting a friend? It’s ridiculous assumption to suspect you of being a trader just because you’re using your phone. Sounds like a sure fire way of going out of business if this kind of policy becomes commonplace.

Whats it to the staff? A sale is a sale regardless who buys it. Customer can throw it in the bin once they get home it should be no concern to Game once they have made the sale.
Cant see that store staying open for long if its refusing sales to people.

The employee said 'head office' are cracking down on people abusing their 'cheap prices' and making a profit.

What kind of parallel universe is this where people can make a profit on anything bought "used" from Game? :D

I've seen used games in Game dearer than the new copy !

I'll never know how they're still alive.

I've had nothing but poor service in Game - I'd never shop in there again. What they've done here is just stupid.

Game are awful prices arnt competitive i last dealt with them several years ago brought a preowned game didnt work on closer inspection the game had deep gouges underneath and they had tried to refinish it. on returning with my receipt and saying it was faulty they couldnt provide me with another one as they had no more in stock so i said i will have a refund no cant do that they said instore credit only. I got something else with the credit

Will never set foot in a Game again

I had to laugh when I read the assistants comment that you were 'taking advantage of their prices'...

I mean, how can anyone be accused of taking advantage of Games prices? They are one of the most expensive retailers for new and second-hand games in the marketplace.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom