GAME reselling 360s purchased from Sainsbury's

james7604

Established Member
Reaction score
Apparently staff from Game have been going around to Sainsbury's buying up discounted consoles to resell at full price.

GAME in Sainsbury's stock swoop | Gaming Industry | News by MCV

I find this rather distasteful. Fair enough, Sainsbury's are using their massive buying power and maybe selling it as a loss leader but it still rankles that GAME are stopping ordinary consumers from benefitting from a good deal.

What do you guys think?

If this is indeed true then its shocking. Shame on game :thumbsdow

Sorry, I hadn't seen it. I did have a look, but didn't think to look in the Bargains thread :suicide:

Mods feel free to close this thread then, I'll have a look what people are saying over in the other thread

I think its good business from them!! You go into your local game/gamestation and you want the bundle that only those stores have, but hold on theve ran out of the consoles, up pops the manager and says if you come back in 20mins or so I can get you the console so you can have that game/gamestation exclusive bundle. Not a missed sale it would have been if the management weren't allowed to do it.

I think its good business from them!! You go into your local game/gamestation and you want the bundle that only those stores have, but hold on theve ran out of the consoles, up pops the manager and says if you come back in 20mins or so I can get you the console so you can have that game/gamestation exclusive bundle. Not a missed sale it would have been if the management weren't allowed to do it.

But they'l be selling 2nd hand goods as new, which is totally illegal.

My sister bought a 360 for my nephew from Game, not knowing that her other half had ordered one online, so she hotfooted back to game and got a refund.....I dont think Game would have then put it up for sale as a pre-owned console somehow!!!

Technically its still new i think...!!

Bananacat, you don't work for Game now do you? Come on, if Game really are doing this it's outrageous, why won't they then drop there price or give you some sort of better games deals in the interest of a competitive market?
And again, Shame On Game ! :(

From a retailer I believe so. Its already been sold once via a retail outlet, not via stockists, ie warehouses/suppliers etc. Basically they would be selling 2nd hand goods to make profit.

Nothing is second hand unless its been used/opened!! Thats like saying when you go into B&Q and buy to much paint and you want a refund for the unopened one, they dont turn around and say ok we will take it back but we cant sell it again because its second hand!!

lol no i dont work for game I just think they havnt done anything wrong especially if it in the circumstance I explained in my first post

Game have been selling second hand games for normal price for years

Yes they have, but not at full price which is not right. I can see your point if you class an unused/unopened product as second hand, but I think their in their rights to do what they have done, morally right or not, but I agree with it.

I think he may have meant the fact they open a lot of games to just put the box on display, I personally don't really consider those 'new' either, and really dislike buying games in such a state unless they are actually second hand. But as I buy practically everything online, this is thankfully not much of a problem.

I can see your point if you class an unused/unopened product as second hand, but I think their in their rights to do what they have done, morally right or not, but I agree with it.

sorry mate that was ment for you, I know what you mean Im glad they stopped doing that at my local tesco it was annoying.

Nothing is second hand unless its been used/opened!! Thats like saying when you go into B&Q and buy to much paint and you want a refund for the unopened one, they dont turn around and say ok we will take it back but we cant sell it again because its second hand!!

Thats a stupid quote!! they wont have it back unless you have a recepit. So are game going to give you the Sainsbury's receipt??? Nah didn't think so.............

Thats a stupid quote!! they wont have it back unless you have a recepit. So are game going to give you the Sainsbury's receipt??? Nah didn't think so.............

No they wont they will give a game/gamestaion receipt so if any problems they would cover it!

What a bunch of A***HOLES for doing that! i know how these game shops can have a certain mentality towards their customers. i tried to trade in a brand new copy of Devil May Cry 4 (still in it's cellophane wrapper plus security seal intact) which i got with my elite package that i bought from Currys. The shop "assistant" offered me £10 trade AND only if i produced a receipt as he thought it was nicked!

Last edited:
What a bunch of A***HOLES for doing that! i know how these game shops can have a certain mentality towards their customers. i tried to trade in a brand new copy of Devil May Cry 4 (still in it's cellophane wrapper plus security seal intact) which i got with my elite package that i bought from Currys. The shop "assistant" offered me £10 trade AND only if i produced a receipt as he thought it was nicked![/QUOTE]

They should only need a reciept if your wanting a refund cheeky gits

For anyone thinking this isnt true I emailed Game today saying I intended to cancel all of my preorders with them if it is true (not sure if I will as I used the £5 off voucher :rotfl:).

Anyway here was their response:

"Hi Justin,

Thank you for your email.

We're always looking for the best prices in order to give our customers the very best offers and bundle deals we can. Last week we secured small volumes of stock from Sainsbury's because they had consoles available at prices better than we could buy from our suppliers. This move equates to a small part of our overall console business.

We are dedicated to giving our customers great value offers throughout the year. This includes bundle offers (often with free games worth more than £30), Deal of the Week promotions, and the ability to trade in and save. In addition all GAME Reward Card customers can earn reward points for further discounts.

Regards,

Dave M

The Team at GAME"

Make of this what you will. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom