Game Rental - Boomerang/LoveFilm?

pjrouse

Is anyone a member of either of these companies?

I'm contemplating joining a game rental company but have good/bad things about both these sites?

Most of the old threads I've found on here and other forums are from back at the beginning of 2006 when all 360 titles were £50.00.

I was just wondering if people are still using these places now that prices have dropped?

I'm not too fussed about playing new releases on day one - instead I'm hoping to use the service to rotate and play a larger number of games that I perhaps wouldnt splash out on buying individually.

I have no problem with the obtaining of a certificate of posting when returning games as there is a quiet post office very close to my office.

Do both of these companies let you hang on to each game for as long as you want - ie several weeks at a time?

I realise you're only allowed one at a time but thats fine by me.

Thanks for any help.

Paul

jonnydynamite

Novice Member
I was with Screenselect (which recently became part of Lovefilm along with just about every other DVD rental scheme) for DVD rentals. I tried putting 360 games on my list and got sent zip for ages. I had about 10 games on my list all rated 1 (deliver them asap) and had DVDs filling up the 2 and 3 slots. Didn't get sent one for months until they sent me Perfect Dark Zero (rubbish) and another 3 months went by before they sent me LOTR (also pretty poor imo). I don't know if its different if you only put games on there.

They let you keep them indefinitely though they do send you emails trying to guilt you into sending them back!

...Also the choice is pretty poor and it doesn't have anything from th last few months I think but you say you don't mind about not playing the latest games so maybe that's not so much of an issue

DD3

Novice Member
Lovefilm : steer clear they are crooks in our experience. Signed up for a free trial which was cancelled within the required period and confirmed over the telephone. They then billed 2 months membership after this, ignored any communications requesting a refund. In the end the only way to stop them was to cancel the card used. Their website had removed any direct contact info (telephone etc) and they would only take messages via email. You have been warned.:nono:

SibTiger33

Is anyone a member of either of these companies?

I'm contemplating joining a game rental company but have good/bad things about both these sites?

Most of the old threads I've found on here and other forums are from back at the beginning of 2006 when all 360 titles were £50.00.

I was just wondering if people are still using these places now that prices have dropped?

I'm not too fussed about playing new releases on day one - instead I'm hoping to use the service to rotate and play a larger number of games that I perhaps wouldnt splash out on buying individually.

I have no problem with the obtaining of a certificate of posting when returning games as there is a quiet post office very close to my office.

Do both of these companies let you hang on to each game for as long as you want - ie several weeks at a time?

I realise you're only allowed one at a time but thats fine by me.

Thanks for any help.

Paul
im with boomerrang no problems at all

Captain Speedy

im with boomerang as well, not had any problems with them and completely happy with the service provided

ush flynn

Novice Member
im with swapgame
initially i put 360 and psp game on the list (psp games on numbers 10 and 11) got sent one of those first, then another. Took all psp games off and started getting the games in my top 3. When saints row and dead rising came out i had them within the week of release. Very happy
I was wary of thier "you break it, you bought it" scheme but i had Battlefield MC arrive busted and i emailed them straight away. The reply said to tick the little box on the envelope to say it was broken on arrival and also to put a little note inside. Did this, got an email to say thank you and they sent out GRAW instead.
Absolutley no complaints

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Steer clear of Lovefilm, unless you want DVDs too.

They're great for DVDs, good selection, quick turnaround. Absolute rubbish for games. Since they started doing them earlier in the year, I've had just about every 360 game that I don't own or haven't owned in my priority list, and so far I've had 1 game off them. Game selection is not great either.

They are talking of charging an extra £1 per month if you want games and DVDs, which I won't be paying unless there game service improves dramatically.

fruvos

I used GamesFrenzy (http://www.gamesfrenzy.co.uk/index.aspx) for quite a while, but cancelled once the game prices started to drop.

Generally I got the games very quickly after release and never had a single problem with them.

I'd recommend them, and don't be put off by their cheap looking website!

Becco

I was with Screenselect and now with LoveFilm. As has been said already, they're pretty crap when it comes to games. I signed up for 3 titles per time so i could get both DVD's and games, but it seems to take ages to get games irrelivent of how you prioritise them! Also since becoming LoveFilm they don't seem to get the most recent titles.
I'm going to watch the dvd's i have then cancel...

sheargraphix

Standard Member
Lovefilm is crap, im a member and im sending my current two games back and cancelling my account. There is a real lack of new games and its murder to get a game that you want. Id stear clear of them :thumbsdow

Trist

Another recomendation for Boomerang. I was with them for quite a long time until recently, when I decided with all the games I was going to buy I'd cancel. I'll definitely go back though when the inevitable drought kicks in next year & catch up on all the games I've missed out on.