Game Pass - Remote Install

craigy_b

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought my son a Series X for his Christmas and I've setup the accounts etc and used the Xbox Live trick to get a Game Pass subscription.

The only issue I have is the speed of my broadband - its not practical (or possible) to download Forza etc in the time he's at school. My idea was to leave the Xbox at my in-laws for a few days to download some games as they have far faster broadband.

My question is - can I download and install games remotely if the console is switched on? It would save a lot of hassle rather than heading over everytime a game has finished downloading.

Yes, download the GamesPass iOS/Android App and setup the Console as a Remote Console and then you can remotely download to it. It does not have be switched on just ensure it is set to Instant On so that allows remote installs.

Yes, download the GamesPass iOS/Android App and setup the Console as a Remote Console and then you can remotely download to it. It does not have be switched on just ensure it is set to Instant On so that allows remote installs.

Thats great, nothing worse than starting it up on Christmas morning and having to wait 6 hours for a game or update to download. This will make it a whole lot easier! :thumbsup:

In theory that's how it works, but I find it hit and miss. Some games will remote install and other times they won't.

What annoys me more is having automatic game updates enabled, yet almost everytime I switch it on there's updates sat there waiting for me to manually accept them!

In theory that's how it works, but I find it hit and miss. Some games will remote install and other times they won't.

What annoys me more is having automatic game updates enabled, yet almost everytime I switch it on there's updates sat there waiting for me to manually accept them!

Nothing worse than trying to start a game and it needs a 10gb update on 2mbps broadband!

Nothing worse than trying to start a game and it needs a 10gb update on 2mbps broadband!
Can't begin to imagine your pain, luckily I have a decent Virgin connection.

Don't want to me the barer of bad news but if its going away until xmas then there is every chance there will be sizable updates required on the 25th.

Dont wrap it, and get it out and give it a chance to update on Xmas eve (or the day before) when your Son is in bed and then wrap it, I have done this in the past to ensure its ready to go.

Assuming your Son is in bed before you, He might 26 for all I know and up all hours but you get the general idea.

Remote Install has always worked for me, guess I have been lucky and that is with 2 Series Consoles.

Game Updates is a funny one, I think it just checks a few times over a 24 Hours period because in theory it also updates in Energy Saving Mode. It also depends on how the Games Push the updates, with games being more and more online a lot of the updates aren't pushed until you try and launch the game and will auto update the following day.

I remember COD and BF both having to launch the game to give the update online.

What I would like is for the Game Devs and Console/PC to work together to come up with some standard update procedure so it is universally used and we can get updates when they become available.

Dont wrap it, and get it out and give it a chance to update on Xmas eve (or the day before) when your Son is in bed and then wrap it, I have done this in the past to ensure its ready to go.

Assuming your Son is in bed before you, He might 26 for all I know and up all hours but you get the general idea.
He’s only 9 so it’s all good. I was going to try and leave it as near to Christmas as possible and get it good to go. Watching everyone posting reviews of FH5 is going to be the hard one while there’s an XSX sitting in my wardrobe! It’s for my son, honestly…..

I asked MS about game updates. So here is how it works.

The console will check, usually during the 'night' for any updates and install them. BUT it won't auto install updates for games you've not played in a while - these will sit in the queue because of disk space management. If you play a LOT of games at once then even recently played games may not auto update as it cuts off based on last few played.

That makes sense. That does seem to be what’s happening.

When I do a manual check for updates and a whole load come back, thinking about it, they’re all games I’ve not played recently.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom