• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

GAME. overpriced ?

Bill Hicks

Banned
Went into my local game store this afternoon to trade in 3 games for the new Wolfenstein on the PS4. After scanning each game the assistant offered me 26 quid for all 3 games. I pointed out that I thought it was a joke and told him forget it, I'll trade them in at the independent game shop around the corner run by a little Indian guy. He gave me 38quid for the games instead. This guy has been selling and trading games for decades, long before GAME ever existed. He knows his business well but how can he give more for the trade ins than GAME?
Now that GAME have the exclusive position on Britain's high streets I think they are taking the piss!

kutsanagi

They do match trade in values apparently. Not that you should have to ask, but if you're stuck with them for a game check CEX beforehand. Save it to your phone and show them. I completely agree that you shouldn't have to asked, but they are a business (even if they are s**t one) and they would have lost £13 on that sale. As it would appear it maybe that they have lost your custom now. But that's the only way people can gain control is with their money and where they take it!!

GAME - We Won't be Beaten On Trade-Ins!

njdbaxter

if you don't like the price then don't trade it in. No need to whinge about it.

you really don't know why an independent seller can offer you more? :confused:

Game have probably had loads of the same game traded in, that's lowers the trade in value, if said game isn't selling well, used or new, then that lowers trade in value. If Game have a lot in stock, especially new, and aren't selling fast, that lowers trade in value. Game would be in a better position in the high street, possibly larger store, so higher rate, rent, staffing costs etc etc etc. Independent store probably only needs one or two staff, very little quantity of each game so able to offer more especially if they know the game is selling well used through the likes of ebay

thenexus6

GAME are terrible, I don't go there anymore haven't for years. There are so many better options for buying and selling games.

aVdub

Banned
We found similar a few weeks ago after leaving the small indie store and driving into town to find that CEX & Game we're up to £10 more expensive on just one game. I now use local all the time and have even been getting some discounts on the games we buy.

Not game, but recently we did the same with a large round sofa and got it £135 cheaper by shopping in a local indie store, rather than the likes of DFS...

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
aVdub said:
Not game, but recently we did the same with a large round sofa and got it £135 cheaper by shopping in a local indie store, rather than the likes of DFS...

Did you happen to pop into DFS in the 7.3 seconds of the year they didn't have a SALE !!1111!!!! on.

aVdub

Banned
Did you happen to pop into DFS in the 7.3 seconds of the year they didn't have a SALE !!1111!!!! on.

hahaha Yeah must have done, although to be honest we could have had a £50 saving on the round sofa by stating that we did have a £50 off voucher???

THE_FORCE

Banned
I find it's swings and roundabouts between GAME and CEX as regards to what they'll give you for trade in.

I sold 60 PS3 games about a year ago and priced the trade-in value of each title individually on both sites (God that was boring). There were some quite big discrepancies on prices between the two stores, but the overall total was the same bar a couple of quid....(CEX being the ever so slightly better option).

I went with GAME because the nearest CEX was over 30 miles away!

Last edited:

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
I avoid CEX like the plague as I hate the smell of wee.

If you took them into Game you may have won some shares for your retirement fund :)

internetuser

I get game to price match match cex. You are stupid not to do this.

Cex is getting a bigger presence on high street now. And base selling prices on eBay. Everything is second hand so getting new titles are hit and miss via

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
I have never traded a game over a counter and never would (even to an independent). All you're doing is swelling the coffers of that business for nothing so they can sell it on with a 30% (or more) mark up. I'd much rather sell them privately or on the classifieds so that person isn't paying a premium and I'm happy with what I'm getting without lining someone else's pockets in the process.

Last edited:

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Last time I went to sell on the classifieds people were so tight I got almost the same from a store trade in. Take out the hassle of packing and posting and the store won for me.

Foebane72

This guy has been selling and trading games for decades, long before GAME ever existed. He knows his business well but how can he give more for the trade ins than GAME?

How did this guy deal with such a sheer number of returns of E.T. for the Atari 2600? I'm surprised he didn't go out of business!

internetuser

Problem with selling on here or ebay is the lovely Royal Mail taking big chunks out the sale for postage etc.

Looking at cex I can get £22 for Titan fall. Game will match it and beat it by £1. So £23 for titanfall. More than you get on here.

Garrett

Went into my local game store this afternoon to trade in 3 games for the new Wolfenstein on the PS4. After scanning each game the assistant offered me 26 quid for all 3 games. I pointed out that I thought it was a joke and told him forget it, I'll trade them in at the independent game shop around the corner run by a little Indian guy. He gave me 38quid for the games instead. This guy has been selling and trading games for decades, long before GAME ever existed. He knows his business well but how can he give more for the trade ins than GAME?
Now that GAME have the exclusive position on Britain's high streets I think they are taking the pee!
Id stick with the independent guy and never ask for a price match at Game.
1/ Support your independent store.
2/ If they did not offer the higher price in the first place they wanted to make money at your expense so why deal with them.

Bill Hicks

Banned
Id stick with the independent guy and never ask for a price match at Game.
1/ Support your independent store.
2/ If they did not offer the higher price in the first place they wanted to make money at your expense so why deal with them.

Absolutely. That is my plan going forwards.

damo09

Nipped in today as I was off to watch Godzilla, I had wolfenstein and forza 5 to trade in, I handed the idiot the games, and he said £21 store credit. So I asked if they price matched cex, and lo and behold got £39 for wolfenstein, and £20 for forza, I know there in business to make money but the place really grates me.

Bill Hicks

Banned
See that this threads title that I created and in no way represents the views of AVF has been changed to something a little less negative. Damn GAME, they are even getting the upper hand here!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom