Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 3 reactions. Spoilers within

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Wow!
As usual with GoT - never saw that coming!
But also never saw what happened in the dragon fight. Too dark/fast/badly cut.

Can't we just keep this to the ongoing thread where there's already almost 4 pages of reaction?

Loved it. Absolutely loved it.
I had no problem with the PQ. Thought it was perfect for the mood of the episode. The sound on the other hand..........

Absolutely shocking image quality from Sky, though the dark scenes are always posterized and crap the problem is most of this episode is at night and dark, can't wait to watch it on Blu-Ray so I can see what actually happens.

And yes the sound is shit too!

Absolutely shocking image quality from Sky, though the dark scenes are always posterized and crap the problem is most of this episode is at night and dark,
Totally agree. I've got a Sky HD box (not Sky Q), so was very unimpressed with what was delivered image wise. Having said that, the latest episode was a corker! And a terrific way to end things in particular. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was the
finale given the blow that Arya delivers.

I agree on the picture quality - it's shameful that such brilliantly realised action was served so horrendously by appalling compression. I haven't seen anything that badly compressed for ages.

Right from the start, the flames brought the telltale sign of flickering nonsense in the shadows, and every time there were clouds at night or shadows on faces it looked like an oil painting. Awful.

To start I thought the picture sh*t! Excuse my french.
Had to really focus to see the dead army or the dragon fights. Couldn’t see what was going on except posterisation. Bad picture? Bad OLED? Bad smoke!

As for the episode? Bloody hell! What an episode !
I guessed right about who would kill the Night king
Always had to be a stark and Bran is a lemon.
I’m still wondering what Bran is good for?

To start I thought the picture sh*t! Excuse my french.
Had to really focus to see the dead army or the dragon fights. Couldn’t see what was going on except posterisation. Bad picture? Bad OLED? Bad smoke!

As for the episode? Bloody hell! What an episode !
I guessed right about who would kill the Night king
Always had to be a stark and Bran is a lemon.
I’m still wondering what Bran is good for?
Well aside from being

a good source of fibre...

Garrick (Key Issues) on Twitter
Bran was playing 4D chess against the Night King when he gave Arya the Catspaw dagger
upload_2019-4-30_0-0-12.jpeg

As great a watch as it was, it was a bit anti climatic.

I mean from the first episode with the White walker, we have heard that winter is coming. The in the last 2 season, it has really ramped up the threat of the night king.
Yet he was killed in his first big battle.
Wouldn’t have it been a bit better if a few key characters died last in ep 3 and they lost the battle of winterfell, and then regrouped and succeeded in a second battle. They could have chased them down to kings landing and had the climax there.
Just seemed that we only really had one episode of a great villain, and he was killed.

Been watching AngryJoes reviews :D; So killing the Freys and Littlefinger wasn't enough of a redemption arc for Arya ? Not forgetting Polliver & Ser Meryn Trant. I love her character but it makes no sense to me she kills the NK that way. Screw it, she might as well kill The Mountain and Cersi with one hand tied behind her back before giving birth to the heir of the throne. The Arya show.

Last edited:
Great episode but I only managed a few minutes before binning it and going off to acquire an HD copy from elsewhere. Wrong I know, but nowhere near as criminal as the PQ from NowTV.

I agree with most regards the awful picture quality
The episode was good but I enjoyed last weeks more

I wasn't sure what happened with the dragons. Did Jon's dragon get killed and also the knight kings dragon got killed and then the knight king brought Jon's dragon back to life?

Great episode but I only managed a few minutes before binning it and going off to acquire an HD copy from elsewhere. Wrong I know, but nowhere near as criminal as the PQ from NowTV.

Well Sky's 2am showing was abysmal so I dread to think what NowTv was like.

I wasn't sure what happened with the dragons. Did Jon's dragon get killed and also the knight kings dragon got killed and then the knight king brought Jon's dragon back to life?
Your spoiler theory is interesting. I don’t think anyone could tell what was happening

Do we need to spoiler hidings in this thread? Surely being a reactions thread it should be free and open with the plot? Difficult to discuss otherwise

Jon's dragon Rhaegal sort of crash landed and threw Jon off, and not seen again, but reckon it's alive and healing somewhere? Then Jon chased the NK, that's when he raised the dead. Then after Ayra killed the NK, his dragon, re-animated Viserion, died for good in a heap of bones like the rest of his army.

Well Sky's 2am showing was abysmal so I dread to think what NowTv was like.

It looked like it was filmed in the Abyss on the darkest of dark nights. Truly shocking picture quality and god knows what they did with the sound?? Had to turn my TV up to 30 to hear what was going on. I double checked and last weeks episode only needed to be at 16.

It was an epic episode don't get me wrong but you can't but help think that it should have been the final battle. Im not sure if what comes next won't be an anticlimax?

Im not sure if what comes next won't be an anticlimax?

As someone on Twitter said yesterday 'now the good guys re-group to battle a pregnant woman and pirate!' :rotfl:

I was surprised they brought the NK arc to an end in one episode. It could have had a mid interval ending and finish off in the next episode. Now we still have 3 long ones to go meaning he wasn’t the biggest threat, which doesn’t hold well.

Mrs. Said to me do you think them hiding in a crypt ie a place containing dead people when the main baddie is a necromancer is a good idea....
How right she was lol.
Never twigged at the time of the consequences that it may not be the best plan

100% agree on the PQ and audio.
Dark. Posterization. V disappointed. Had to turn the sound up way louder than any other show and was still low.

Last edited:
It really wasn't very good. Compare it to Hardhome (same director) and it's (literally) light and day in terms of quality. Where was the dread?

As a book reader, the way they easily dispatched this age old threat was disappointing. Everyone had ludicrous amounts of plot armour. Tactics were woeful. The Night King left himself needlessly exposed and vulnerable. The white walkers did nothing whatsoever. Bran is what now, just a McGuffin. Arya can obviously turn into the Flash to get through a crowd of zombies and White Walkers unnoticed.

As above, the battle should have been a rout. The stragglers regroup down at King's Landing and it all gets decided in the finale. What do we have for the last three episodes now? Squabbling over who sits on the Iron Throne. The whole point was that the throne squabbles were insignificant compared to the threat from the north.

Clever of the Night King so hide his wights in a floating goo of banding. As the Manderin would say, you'll never see me coming.
Go Arya!

It really wasn't very good. Compare it to Hardhome (same director) and it's (literally) light and day in terms of quality. Where was the dread?

As a book reader, the way they easily dispatched this age old threat was disappointing. Everyone had ludicrous amounts of plot armour. Tactics were woeful. The Night King left himself needlessly exposed and vulnerable. The white walkers did nothing whatsoever. Bran is what now, just a McGuffin. Arya can obviously turn into the Flash to get through a crowd of zombies and White Walkers unnoticed.

As above, the battle should have been a rout. The stragglers regroup down at King's Landing and it all gets decided in the finale. What do we have for the last three episodes now? Squabbling over who sits on the Iron Throne. The whole point was that the throne squabbles were insignificant compared to the threat from the north.

These were my thoughts too initially however just because their tactics were woeful and things happened differently to how I imagined, doesn't mean it wasn't a blast to watch (what I could see), even if I was a bit deflated afterwards.
I can see the books going in a different direction..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom