Game of Thrones Season 2 Steelbook Blu-ray Review

Tech News

Reaction score
The second season of HBO's Game of Thrones arrives on Blu-ray with a reference picture, tons of extras, steelbook packaging and a brand new Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

Read the full review.

Cant disagree. Great review and spot on !
10/10 easily on all counts from me too. Absolutely vital viewing on the format

Good review and you have echoed my sentiments on episode 9. So far it is the only episode i have listened to both commentaries on and, as an episode of television, i could watch again and again. But i could say that about the entire series and it numbers in the few series that i will watch over and over again. along with a handful of other series.

For any who may be worried about a season 3 dip, so far so good.

Yeah I couldn't wait for S3 to come out. Having to watch it and its excellent also. I will be getting it on release also (2014)

Good review and you have echoed my sentiments on episode 9. So far it is the only episode i have listened to both commentaries on and, as an episode of television, i could watch again and again. But i could say that about the entire series and it numbers in the few series that i will watch over and over again. along with a handful of other series.

For any who may be worried about a season 3 dip, so far so good.

Yeah, I have watched S1 and S2 twice now. Brilliant.

As for a Season 3 dip, if anything the standard is getting better and better:thumbsup:

I enjoy watching Game of Thrones on BD far, far more than I do on Sky HD. For one thing I don't have to sit through adverts or fast-forward through them if I've recorded it. The main reason though is that the pacing of the show, which is constantly jumping between different characters, can make it hard to follow for someone like me who has never read the books and sometimes you don't even see a main character for a couple of weeks (such as Daenarys the other week) meaning that I've forgotten what was happening. It is more enjoyable to watch an entire Game of Thrones season 2 or 3 episodes at a time over a span of three days as I did with Season 2.

Watched the first disc today, the AQ and PQ are up there with the best films I have.

I have to agree that watching them back to back is better than one a week.

Stellar show, acting, cast, story, script watched my blu ray box set of season 1 & 2 three times and still pick up new information. Season 3 is slowly picking up but my word the slowness is still brilliant, Tywin & Tyrion conversations are so awesome and Jaime verbal jousting of brienne of tarth and thats just 4 characters......top top show

Stellar show, acting, cast, story, script watched my blu ray box set of season 1 & 2 three times and still pick up new information. Season 3 is slowly picking up but my word the slowness is still brilliant, Tywin & Tyrion conversations are so awesome and Jaime verbal jousting of brienne of tarth and thats just 4 characters......top top show

Tyrion is one of the most likeable and enjoyable characters in the show, but IMO Tywin is one of the best characters. He's utterly fearsome and tyrannical; that hawk-like, granite face and cold eyes. He makes all the other characters look like children.

If the new Star Wars trilogy is looking for someone to play the new villain, then Charles Dance would be an excellent choice.

Tyrion is one of the most likeable and enjoyable characters in the show, but IMO Tywin is one of the best characters. He's utterly fearsome and tyrannical; that hawk-like, granite face and cold eyes. He makes all the other characters look like children.

If the new Star Wars trilogy is looking for someone to play the new villain, then Charles Dance would be an excellent choice.

Hell yes. :smashin:

Although the young lad who plays Joffrey, Jack Gleason, also portrays a truly unlikable villain, although he does not want explore being an actor beyond his time on the show.

Although the young lad who plays Joffrey, Jack Gleason, also portrays a truly unlikable villain, although he does not want explore being an actor beyond his time on the show.

One of the things Im most looking forward to in Season 3 (not seen anything past S2 and not read the books) is seeing how Tywin and Joffrey interact.

Yes, Jack Gleason is superb in the role. Another fantastic character.

Hell, they all are.

Ive gone back to watch from season 1 again. These have so much rewatch factor.
Just fabulous.
Jack Gleason is i admit my favourite. Love to hate Joffrey

I dunno, maybe the lad from Cork has a few more roles in him yet. Though perhaps playing Joffrey may have it's disadvantages... like nobody caring that he can't find his mom -

(Batman Begins - Jack Gleeson)

are the extras identical to the first release of GoT season two bluray, but with the added advantage of atmos, and the steelbook?

I'm very surprised a Blu-ray box set which had DTS HD audio is re-released in Dolby Atmos. Is this an indicator that the gates might open for (previously released on BD) movies to be given the Atmos treatment or is that unlikely if the studios had already gone with DTS rather than Dolby before?

I'm very surprised a Blu-ray box set which had DTS HD audio is re-released in Dolby Atmos. Is this an indicator that the gates might open for (previously released on BD) movies to be given the Atmos treatment or is that unlikely if the studios had already gone with DTS rather than Dolby before?
It's probably not a big deal for studios to switch between DTS & Dolby
eg
Spider-man (original release) TrueHD
Spider-man (rerelease) DTS-MA
Spider-man ('mastered' in 4K) TrueHD

Spider-man 2 (original release) TrueHD
Spider-man 2 (rerelease) DTS-MA
Spider-man 2 ('mastered' in 4K) DTS-MA

They seem to be able to just mix & match as they please.

I think you should dock at least one point from Extras because the UK release doesn't include an Ultraviolet Digital Download code. In other parts of Europe and the US it is included.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom