1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Of The Year 2004

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by CAS FAN, Dec 3, 2004.

1. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    As we approach the end of 2004 (surely a vintage year for gaming) it seems that most if not all of the major titles have now been released. So how about peoples views on what their top three games of the year have been:

Some contenters :

Half Life 2
    Halo2
    Metroid Prime 2
    Farcry
    Pro Evo 4
    GTA:SA
    The Sims 2
    Football Manager 2005
    Rome Total War
    Pikmin 2
    Star Wars Battlefront
    Burnout 3
    Outrun 2
    World of Warcraft
    Everquest 2
    Doom 3

There were obviously stacks of other great games but the above are a list of what come to mind for me:

Personally my top 3 are :

Pro Evo 4
    Half Life 2
    Halo 2

Pro evo 4 is my personal choice of GOTY although games like HL2 and Halo2 probably deserve the title more (I just love Pro evo!). The X-Box Live addition to PES4 (although poorly implemented) is heaven for me and although I don't really think Konami deserve applauding for such a lazy X-Box conversion they do need to be applauded for producing a game that is incredibly playable and feels every last bit like real football.

Half Life 2 stunned me from the off, sucked me in and wouldn't let go until i'd finished it (although my initial desire to play through the game again on Hard has been put aside in favour of PES4 and Halo2 - for now!). Graphically it is so real and at times you forget that you are playing a game! The story is also way above the usual drivel that you normally get from an FPS title and the games atmosphere drew me in further and had me checking everything and ducking behind cover to draw breath in combat! No other recent FPS (apart from Halo 2) has immersed me to the level that HL2 did with intellegent AI, clever use of sound, real emotion shown on the faces of the people you meet and the the way the whole game is designed (the imposing tower always in sight and the video screens & loud speakers churning out messages which become more & more aimed at Freeman) all made the experience less of a game and took the game to a higher plane!

Halo2 - The way online gaming should always be, set's the benchmark for everyone else who is trying to produce an online experience!! After some minor teething problems the game now runs flawlessly in online more with quick matchmaking, no (or little) lag and some great levels & game types available. Add to this a great 1 player (and 2 player co op game) and you have a package that would always be game of the year in any other year than this. Personally i'd put this and HL2 about even and it's only really my personal love for Pro Evo that stops either of these games being my game of the year!

:thumbsup:

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,818
    Good thread idea.

Maybe we should have an official AVForums award? :cool:

My contendors are pretty similar to yours, but the ones I've actually played are :

Half Life 2
    Halo2
    Farcry
    Pro Evo 4
    GTA:SA
    The Sims 2
    Football Manager 2005
    Rome Total War
    Burnout 3

I would also commend games like Perimeter & Singstar for their innovation.

My top three would be, purely on the amount of enjoyment & time I've had from them.

1. Football Manager 2005
    It doesn't look good, it has a lot of the same old problems of waiting for it to process, it doesn't do a whole lot more than the previous CM 03/04.... But you start playing it and playing it and playing. And then you curse it bitterly when you realise it's 3am and you've got to get up for work in three hours. Again. For the third time that week.

2. Rome : Total War
    An truly epic game with a strong single player campaign game, good multiplayer options and excellent historical one-off battles. Although I've probably played FM2005 for more hours, I think this is the most rewarding gaming purchase I've made this year and probably the only game that truly met my expectations.

3. Half Life 2
    A groundbreaking game in many areas. Sadly a little too short IMHO to be the game of the year, with fairly limited replay value. The recent release of HL2 multiplayer may change my mind though if the mod community starts to make good use of the engines potential.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I'd include pikmin 2 in that list :clap:

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    aye it was in my list - great game!

5. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    HL2 as a winner for me not just for the actual game which is excellent but for the modding options that are going to follow giving the actual game years of go , much like the first one.
    Really enjoyed Call of Duty UO while it lasted for great atmosphere.
    Also put more time in on Pokemon Leaf Green than most of my PC games combined and it's just a rehash of the original Pokemon games.

6. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Fable for me. I've really enjoyed playing it over the past few weeks.

I didn't bother buying the obvious choice of Halo 2 because I was so disappointed with the original after all the hype and all. (I realise I'm in a minority of one with this view though! :blush: )

RDB :)

7. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Burnout 3 for me, if only for the Party Crash mode with 6 mates round! :clap:

8. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Don't worry - I don't rate Halo or Halo 2 personally. Just feel they're kinda.....average at best (Guess that's the problem with playing way too many games).

HL2 was cool, Doom3 was arguably best graphically and had a cool atmosphere and although it hadn't really evolved from the originals, was still fun. Metal Gear Solid 3 is kinda sweet if you like that thing. Chronicles of Riddick was pretty good fun too and I am really enjoying Vampire:The Masquerade-Bloodlines.

Am looking forward to Matrix Online though !

9. Rawschach

Rawschach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    halo 2 online is game of the year imo

10. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,472
    Ratchet and Clank 3...

11. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Erm Paper Mario 2 as well tis great I tell thee

anyway for me it has to be Half-Life 2, Paper Mario 2 and err thats it for me this year, I thought it was an awful year for gaming

12. Lutz

Lutz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Has to be Fable I'd say. Whilst Halo2 is good (And getting better with each playthrough) I feel that Fable achieved more for me.

Top game, and I'm hoping Fable 2 makes it...

13. mad max 3

mad max 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to see that Fable is getting a good word said about it. I was stuck too my seat for a week. I feel that this game is a must.

14. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Nice idea....as far as graphics went(and making me go and buy another graphics card just to play it)Doom 3 was the best by far,and for one that surprised me by being playable and amusing,where all previous ones of its type havent...Dawn of War.

Getting my boy off the PC when he's at either Doom3 or Farcry...another matter altogether.

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    :confused: :confused: I guess if you only have a GC and a PC then you've missed so many great games though.

PES4 & Halo2 would have been enough to make this one of the best years for gaming ever IMO. When you add other stuff like games mentioned in my list then it's been the best year I can remember since I started playing video games in 1980. :thumbsup:

16. max_keller

max_keller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is my VOTE: Halo 2

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,207
    No one else buy Thief III Deadly Shadows? And experience the terror of the 'Cradle' and the next level The Lair Of The Hag .

It has to be the game of the year for me not unless Half Life II I’m getting for Christmas beats it.

18. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    GTA san andreas.i have not played a game this much since vice city :) and its the only reason i still have my ps2,its a console killer :thumbsup: :smashin:i would have said pro evo 4 was on par but after a truely lazy conversion and the fact im to hooked on gta to even look at it pro evo is on a slippery slope imho.

19. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm a complete Halo addict so that's my favourite game this year, but there's probably half a dozen games that deserve second place on my list...not to mention the must-have games I haven't even played yet!

Other worthy nominations:

Pro evo 4
    Viewtiful Joe 2
    Burnout 3
    Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
    Mario vs Donkey Kong

20. johnnyhonk

johnnyhonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ninja Gaiden

21. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Half Life 2 and GTA:SA as PC and console title respectively.

Half Life 2 is just unbelievable, not since System Shock 2 have I seen a game that advances gameplay and storyline so well.

GTA:SA is just pure fun, I slated it when I first got it, but I have been steadily playing over the last few weeks and the more I play it the more fun it gets, fully deserves the scores. I really can't wait to see what this looks like on the next gen, as I think it will be unbelievable!

22. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Just done a quick tally up of peoples fave game and so far Halo2 is in the lead with 4, HL2 with 2.5 & GTA:SA with 1.5 (although Sinzer decieded to split his vote between console and PC so I just noted 1/2 a vote for both HL2 & GTA).

I personally (whilst I loved HL2 & Halo2) must stick with the lazy Xbox PES4 conversion - it's just two good and will probably remain lodged in my X-Box until PES5 comes out.

23. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Halo 2 for me , the combat and AI are just so good.

HL2 disappointed me a little to be honest , I still think the original is the better game ( apart from all that bleeding jumping!) I didn't get enough of the bits I enjoyed in HL2 (Ant-lions! Dog! Ravensberg!) and generally I felt the combat was a little lacking and too easy. Some of the set pieces felt contrived and broke the flow of the game and I will quite happily murder my comrades as all they do is get in the way!

CounterStrike ; Source has given me more pleasure than HL2 to be honest.

FarCry : really tough immersive combat , not as pretty as some of the others but more of a challenge with excellent enemy AI. I felt genuine fear in some levels. I even like the multiplayer.

Sims2 (hate it hate it hate it)

Probably get Fable to tide me over christmas but now that we have CSS networked in the office I'll be doing a lot more overtime!

24. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Grand Theft Auto: SA for me, seriously good game... there is so much to learn and do in the game :devil:

25. Lutz

Lutz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    IIRC Fable also has 3 votes...

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Can only see 2 - although Madmax3 likes the game and feels it is a must he has just passed comment (like some others have) and not really said it was his fave game of the year.

Halo 2 & Half Life 2 are both absolute musts as far as i'm concerned but PES4 got my vote.

27. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Rome Total war easily for me, still playing all the time HL2 was a bit of a let down i thought, poor ending and way to easy on hard oh and the audio stutter even though mine was minimal plenty of other peoples was poor.

28. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Doom3, Half Life2, FM2005, Call of Duty, PlanetSided, EQ2, Battlefield Vietnam ... err I reckon it was a pretty good year for gaming - and tharts only on the PC front ...

29. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,347
    My three games of the year would be:

GTA: San Andreas for PS2

Pathway to Glory for Ngage

Rallisport Challenge 2 for Xbox

They're the only games that have really managed to get me playing this year.