Game mode in 1080p?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Rip, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have just discovered that the game mode on my set does not work when the input signal is set at 1080p from either an xbox 360 or a ps3, It works at 1080i, 720p & 576i tho. At 1080p it says something like not available with current signal. My set is a Sony sxrd KDS-55A2000, has anyone noticed the same with their sets or have any idea why it should be like this?

2. AvSP

AvSP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Are you using Component cables? I don't think they can do 1080p.

If you're using HDMI then I don't know what the issue is, though very few games use 1080p natively anyway.

3. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,613
    Component can do 1080p but not many TVs accept a 1080p signal via their component input.

4. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Sorry I should of said im using HDMI, I just take it for granted that everyone is using HDMI nowadays. The thing is with my 360 i dont notice any problems even tho i cant use game mode on my set (at 1080p), but with my ps3 the controls are very noticably laggy in fast games like Battlefield 3.
    I used to think it was just that the ps3 had a laggy controller system, as im not a fan of the ps controller i never bothered to look into it & bought most games for 360 & just got the ps3 exclusives to play on ps3.
    So what tv sets do you have & does game mode work when set to 1080p?

5. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    Is it just game mode that doesn't work when the console is set to 1080p? Other modes work fine at 1080p?

6. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Yea everything else seems to work fine, just that game mode is greyed out when set at 1080p.
    There isnt any other mode setting, I think that tv's just work as normal, but you can switch them to game mode to help speed up response times. Did you have an idea about something?

7. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    I was just thinking that if it doesn't work at all just in 1080p mode, then it could be your HDMI cable. If it's only Game Mode where it occurs though, then it seems it must be some limitation of the TV. I would try giving Sony a call to see what they say, or perhaps ask in the TV section as there's other owners of the same TV in there.

8. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Its deffo not the cable. I just checked my HDDVD player & that also has game mode greyed out at 1080p, so im guessing your right & its something to do with the limitation of the tv at 1080p....

9. DR Kronenbourg

DR Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,888
    Well what better excuse do you have now................ NEW TELLY:arty:

10. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    By the looks of googling the model isn't that new, but it seems like a strange implementation for it to be missing for just one resolution. From looking at the TV it probably doesn't do much processing of the input signal, and when receiving a 1080p signal it wouldn't have to do any scaling either, so perhaps Game mode on that set only affects scaling and that's why it can't be enabled with 1080p. That's my guess.

11. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks Matt, I think it might do a bit more than that tho, I say that because I have controller lag using my ps3 at 1080p, but with game mode enabled (at a different rez) the lag is greatly reduced.
    Think im gonna stop worrying about it now tho as my 360 is my prefered console & i dont get any lag with it, only the ps3...
    Yea Dr Kronenbourg a new set would be nice, but there's another dilema, led or plasma? From reading, a lot of led sets have a slow response time meaning lag, where as the plasma's have a really fast response time but a not so bright screen & possible screen burn issues.... hmm :(

12. DR Kronenbourg

DR Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,888
    I just picked up a new set a couple days before Christmas, I've alway been an LCD/LED fan, your right about response times with LCD v Plasma but the official numbers for my set in game mode are 31ms, I will have that over screen burn any day, I've never tested it myself yet but it is not having any effect on my COD gameplay, 1v1 I win and lose equally and can't see or feel any noticeable lag at those figures.

13. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    People are saying that screen burn can be avoided by running the tv in for the first 100 hours or so, i would hate to buy a tv & find that i had a lag problem with my xbox cos i just cant stand it, controller lag sux big time! I would have to see if they would let me test it in the shop i guess.

14. DR Kronenbourg

DR Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,888
    Sure running in helps but if you game for more than a couple hours at a time then a HUD is bound to show, it's just a case of how long it takes to clear I suppose, when you read the reviews of plasmas many say to avoid long gaming sessions but not having owned a plasma I can only go on what I've read, my work uses plasmas and if sky news is on them to long they show signs of burn but tech gets better all the time and it certainly something that's been improved through the years.

15. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,549
    I had to chuckle at this one. I just had images of me saying to my wife "y'know babe, I'm really gonna have to splurge some cash out, cos our telly only does 1080i, and I'd really like 1080p"

I reckon her reply would be a short one - of 2 words in fact, and I guarantee that the second word would be "off!"

16. DR Kronenbourg

DR Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,888
    Surely SWIMBO doesn't get any say in tha matter when it comes to buying tech:devil: Snickers " get some nuts " :rotfl:

17. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,549
    Lol, as a matter of fact, when we bought our current tv a few years ago, I was getting just a glass stand, and planning to buy the tv the following month (couldn't really afford it at the time!), but it was the long-haired general that persuaded me to just say "fudge it, lets buy the lot!"

Pesky SWMBO!!:rotfl:

18. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +971
    I'd tend to agree with mattclarkie.

In Game mode the DRC picture processing option is greyed out, presumably because the DRC adds to the lag. I think when you input any 1080p source DRC is also greyed out, as it's not needed/beneficial to process a 1080p signal. So with a 1080p signal since you don't need the DRC or scaling then presumably there's no need for Game mode.

I definitely never noticed any lag with my set, but then I had very few games which ran at 1080p. I played Wipeout with no worries though. I have a 360 too, and didn't notice any difference between them.

And I wouldn't rush to change the telly either, unless you have problems! I have an 46HX803 now and it's definitely better in certain ways, but the SXRD is still a great set :)