Game feels like 20 fps while or while not recording, but when recording the footage is a good 60 fps and 1080p but the game is still slow

alex96

Novice Member
Game feels like 20 fps while or while not recording, but when recording the footage is a good 60 fps and 1080p but the game is still slow

Hello, when I play a game the frame rate is always very low and choppy, however when I start a recording, the game itself is still really slow and choppy however when I look at the recording it is 60 fps and 1080p. I am asking how to fix this or at least why this is happening. I have already reinstalled my drivers multiple times. My specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with Radeon Graphics 3.00 GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon(TM) RX 5600M Series

Thank you :)

next010

Distinguished Member
Could be system lag of some kind, try following these general suggestions that may help.

If none of those change it maybe a clean install of windows is the way forward if you cannot isolate the problem, perhaps something shipped on the laptop that is interfering in the background but the above video mentions turning off such things including gamebar and other recording services.

alex96

Novice Member
Could be system lag of some kind, try following these general suggestions that may help.

If none of those change it maybe a clean install of windows is the way forward if you cannot isolate the problem, perhaps something shipped on the laptop that is interfering in the background but the above video mentions turning off such things including gamebar and other recording services.
I have already reinstalled windows multiple times when buying windows 10 pro and I have also tried with game bar on and off but no difference. Since I bought Windows 10 pro there should be no stock software which comes pre installed (My laptop is a Dell G5 SE if this helps). Hope this helps! When I get home I will try these other general suggestions and thank you.

next010

Distinguished Member
I have already reinstalled windows multiple times when buying windows 10 pro and I have also tried with game bar on and off but no difference. Since I bought Windows 10 pro there should be no stock software which comes pre installed (My laptop is a Dell G5 SE if this helps). Hope this helps! When I get home I will try these other general suggestions and thank you.

There is a reddit post here with various claims about this laptop.

I would Update bios to latest version, it looks like it has some thermal issues that are addressed.

Does this laptop have a 144hz Freesync screen ?

alex96

Novice Member
Thank you for this quick response! Last time I checked for updates using the Dell support assist software which I downloaded from their website it shows that there is no new updates (last checked yesterday).

About the 144hz freesync screen, yes there is but I have connected an external display also by dell which is 60hz which is bigger and is 1440p so I play on that one and I had the recording software on the smaller built in laptop screen.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The first step is to narrow down what the problem is before considering causes.

When you say it feels like 20fps, is that what the game is actually reported to be running at? If the game doesn't have an FPS display itself then the overlay feature in the radeon software will work with most games (you may need to set the game to fullscreen rather than borderless or windowed fullscreen).

Ignore the video for now.

alex96

Novice Member
Hi, I have just jumped back into the game and the game says 40 fps and so does AMD give or take two or three depending on what I am doing in the game (e.g standing still/driving car)

next010

Distinguished Member
Hi, I have just jumped back into the game and the game says 40 fps and so does AMD give or take two or three depending on what I am doing in the game (e.g standing still/driving car)

If your only getting 40fps that would not be smooth on a display without Freesync.

So if your external monitor is 1440p 60hz no Freesync that might be too much for the laptop to render games at.

Lower visual details in the game, lower rendering resolution to 1080p and if that still isn't enough turn off vsync in game though that can result in screen tearing, see if that increases frame rate and makes it feel smoother.

Also install RTSS and have it run in the background, it has an FPS monitoring tool just to see what it reports the FPS as in game.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom