Game Dev sim targets pirates with torrent version full of piracy

Pebb

Distinguished Member
Source: computerandvideogames.com

The developer behind $8 PC and Mac title Game Dev Tycoon has targeted pirates by torrenting an altered version of its own game.

The 'cracked' version of the game dev sim has been tweaked so that torrent players' virtual studios go bankrupt almost immediately through rampant in-game piracy. Developer Greenheart claims the pirated version made up 93% of its playerbase at launch, and spurred a number of ironic outbursts from pirates complaining about their in-game titles failing through piracy.

The developer said that although it could've released a more straightforward anti-piracy message, it didn't want to pass up on a "unique opportunity of holding a mirror in front of [game pirates] and showing them what piracy can do to game developers."

It wrote on its blog: "When we released our very first game, Game Dev Tycoon yesterday, we did something unusual and as far as I know unique. We released a cracked version of the game ourselves, minutes after opening our Store.

"I uploaded the torrent to the number one torrent sharing site, gave it a description imitating the scene and asked a few friends to help seed it."

The cracked version is nearly identical to the full game apart from one detail, the developer explains. As torrent version players grow their own dev company, eventually they will receive an in-game message warning them about the amount of players stealing their virtual game.

"Slowly their in-game funds dwindle, and new games they create have a high chance to be pirated until their virtual game development company goes bankrupt," Greenheart wrote.

Some of the responses the developer found online included a user post complaining that it's "not fair" that so many pirates steal their in-game title, and another asking if researching virtual DRM could help with the issue. The Greenheart blog continues:

"As a gamer I laughed out loud: the IRONY!!! However, as the developer, who spent over a year creating this game and hasn't drawn a salary yet, I wanted to cry.

"Surely, for most of these players, the 8 dollars wouldn't hurt them but it makes a huge difference to our future!"

The developer feels it's important for studios to try and engage with pirates, and it's even published a page on its website which targets people who search for illegal versions and attempts to persuade them to buy the full game instead.

Gamers who dislike DRM or the emergence of 'pay-to-play' models should buy, not pirate, independent games like Game Dev Tycoon, it argues.

"If pirates are put through more trouble than genuine customers, maybe more will buy the real game. Sadly, for AAA games it is currently the other way. Customers get the trouble with always-on requirements and intrusive DRM, while pirates can just download and enjoy. A twisted world."

samtman

They are cheeky to moan about piracy as this is a complete rip off of Kairosoft's Game Dev Story.

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
It's a nice article, but the game itself just seems Game Dev Story clone.

Dave2

biggest problem for users is DRM and a lot of chart games are riddled with DRM and cause too many problems which forces the buyer to use a cracked version of the game.

Studios don't understand that not everyone is technical savvy and cant fix the problem without help.

To be honest I don't understand why pc piracy is bad because the price of pc games are reasonable and no way as expensive as console gaming.

I would however would like a demo of the game a few weeks before its released so we can decide if we are going to like it.

I just wish those who download the game and like it would consider the developers and maybe purchase the game legit at some point so that we can have another game from that developer.

Overall though I find this article amusing and think that the pirates have a cheek to moan about virtual piracy in a game they pirated lol :)

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
Love it.

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
That's pretty good way to discourage them.

TBH nowadays you can wait a couple of months and get PC games for half the cost new (or even less). Wonder if they could add that as DLC, your profits drop after two months due to the steam summer sale :D

NoxiousD

Creates game thats complete ripoff of Game Dev Story

Complains when people download said ripoff game

Developers, get more original ideas, and we'll stop pirating yo' stuff...

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
NoxiousD said:
Creates game thats complete ripoff of Game Dev Story

Complains when people download said ripoff game

Developers, get more original ideas, and we'll stop pirating yo' stuff...

Spoken like a true pirate.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I actually don't pirate anything except the odd TV show, but you know, can't blame people for pirating games designed purely to cash in on other developers ideas

Err, yes you can.

They can NOT buy it if they dont want to feel like they are paying for a cash in......but NO they steal it instead.

Developers not coming up with good enough games is one of the stupidest excuse's I've heard for pirating games.

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
I actually don't pirate anything except the odd TV show, but you know, can't blame people for pirating games designed purely to cash in on other developers ideas

So you do pirate something then.

Dave2

I pirate a ship :) oooooarghhh jack sparrow takes your games :p

Dave2

I just read a post about TV show downloading and although I download TV shows I do it for ease and I justify my download by paying my full sky subscription and purchase any item that I watch on Blu-ray , I also rent the shows which are easy to get via Netflix or iTunes. Downloading games is different in my opinion but I do understand the frustrations of some people : -

1) Not many demos are available and you don't want to pay for a game to find out its utter cw&p

2) constantly the same type of game all the time !!! give us some good stuff like in japan :) FPS are good but too many are just a bore.

3) DRM (say no more)

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
1) Not many demos are available and you don't want to pay for a game to find out its utter cw&p

2) constantly the same type of game all the time !!! give us some good stuff like in japan :) FPS are good but too many are just a bore.

3) DRM (say no more)

None of them are reasons to steal a game.

There is no reason at all to do it.

I rarely see moans about games not having demo's. We all get stung with a poor purchase now and then, thats life. I've bought a few myself.

Never once do I think 'thats it I'll pirate all my games in the future'.

Its the pirates fault we have DRM in the first place too. But they need to work better on that.

I can honestly say I've never pirated a single game at all. They are cheap enough on PC so don't feel the need to at all.

Dave2

None of them are reasons to steal a game.

There is no reason at all to do it.

I rarely see moans about games not having demo's. We all get stung with a poor purchase now and then, thats life. I've bought a few myself.

Never once do I think 'thats it I'll pirate all my games in the future'.

Its the pirates fault we have DRM in the first place too. But they need to work better on that.

I can honestly say I've never pirated a single game at all. They are cheap enough on PC so don't feel the need to at all.

Sorry I forgot to put on the bottom of my post that those were no reasons for pirating.

I do find it strange that they blame DRM on pirates but @ the end of the day it will only ever hurt the honest buyers as someone will always hack or break the DRM on any game or even software.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Dave2 said:
Sorry I forgot to put on the bottom of my post that those were no reasons for pirating.

I do find it strange that they blame DRM on pirates but @ the end of the day it will only ever hurt the honest buyers as someone will always hack or break the DRM on any game or even software.

No worries bud.

NoxiousD

So you do pirate something then.

I download shows i can't watch in the UK...

Its not pirating. I'm not stealing. I pay my licence fees for channels i don't use, so i download shows i can't get...

I'm sure TONS of people here pirate in some form or another...

Foster

Distinguished Member
Never pirate, never will.

aslird

Distinguished Member
With the current price of PC games, it is, in my view, pointless to pirate them. If you use the excuse of no demo, then watch the 100's of youtube videos that are made about the game you want, read reviews, ask on here :) If you use the excuse of no money - well, get a job, stop smoking, instead of going out to the pub, spend that money on the game instead etc etc

boltlock

Distinguished Member
People complain about the price of games as an excuse to pirate them. What they don't tell you is that even if the games were 50p/£1 they would still do it. One only has to look at the state of piracy on phones and tablets to see this in action. As long as people are charged for something, there will always be certain individuals that want it for free. Human nature I guess.

A guy round our way (on the sick, never worked a day in his life type) used to make a very lucrative living from selling pirated X-box 360 games. His house was redecorated every year, tv in every room etc, you know the sort. Anyway, a new bloke moved into the area who also started selling these games, but at a reduced price. So now the first guy has had to go from charging a tenner a disk, to 5 games for £10. How I laughed when he told me he hardly had any spare money nowadays because of the price of disks, internet, and this git down the road. He wasn't too happy when I told him to get off his arse and get a ****ing job then. :rolleyes:

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Enough talk about piracy - no one wants a slapped wrist for talking about how they downloaded episodes of Lost before to see before they were in the UK do they? :D

As mentioned, there is a slight irony that the game has been well 'homaged' as such from another (iOS, unless they were the devs as well?) game, and it is also a unique selling/marketing tool - the story goes to all forums such as this one and makes people think about purchasing the game.

Clever.

Razor

Distinguished Member
With the current price of PC games, it is, in my view, pointless to pirate them. If you use the excuse of no demo, then watch the 100's of youtube videos that are made about the game you want, read reviews, ask on here :) If you use the excuse of no money - well, get a job, stop smoking, instead of going out to the pub, spend that money on the game instead etc etc

I agree that the price of pc games these days makes pirating pointless but I also think there should be more demos out there for people to try out. Back in the day every game had a demo and if by chance it didn't people would question why and if there was something wrong with the game.

I say bring back demos and let us all try before we buy, who knows they may sell more copies of decent games as more people will try them out.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom