Game delays.......... why?

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Everytime I come into the forum it seems like there's another game delay.

Drive Club, Watchdogs, Elder Scrolls online, Dying Light, The Division... and I'm sure there are others I've forgotton about?

Is this evidence that this new generation of consoles was released ahead of time and that developers just weren't/aren't ready? Have Sony and MS been guilty of jumping the gun on their new consoles in order to get them out there and established before the 'threat' of Steambox is a reality?

Have Sony and MS released woefully underpowered consoles in order to come in at an affordable price point?

Just raising these points and they're not necessarily my own thoughts. Just wanting to know your views and opinions :)

And please, be rational and respect one another's thoughts. I think this could make for an interesting discussion but don't want it closed after half a day of bickering.

Last edited:

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
In some cases it's about the profit.

IMO Ubosoft don't want to release games the same time as their other games to maximise profit.
For example Assigns Creed which earns them a he'll of a lot of sales is released in November, so to maximise profits on their game they delay the others (watch dogs, division).

Also sometimes theynjust bite of more than they can chew and just can't get the games up to standard by release. Drive Club is a good example of that.

kav

Distinguished Member
I work in Technology (not video games, sadly) and it's a constant battle between developers and the business - usually mediated by people who make promises on timescales without considering the reality of what needs to be done. This kind of thing is not limited to video games, it's just more noticeable because we tend to be a vocal lot and video game developers are invariably media whores.

I've mentioned it before, but as a rule of thumb it always comes back to a balance between time, cost and quality. Lots of time and money (investment) = high quality. Reduced time or money = lower quality. At some point a line in the sand needs to be drawn, because while it would be possible to develop something forever and still not get it perfect, there comes a point when a company needs to recoup the costs of their investment by releasing the product. Sometimes that timing is right, sometimes it isn't.

The above is one of the main advantages that indie devs have, e.g. Jonathan Blow has said The Witness will be "ready when it's ready". Hardly any devs in big studios have the luxury of such an approach. Rockstar and maybe Naughty Dog are two of the few who spring to mind.

Nozey

Distinguished Member

Drive Club, Watchdogs, Elder Scrolls online, Dying Light, The Division... and I'm sure there are others I've forgotton about?

Is this evidence that this new generation of consoles was released ahead of time and that developers just weren't/aren't ready? Have Sony and MS been guilty of jumping the gun on their new consoles in order to get them out there and established before the 'threat' of Steambox is a reality?

Have Sony and MS released woefully underpowered consoles in order to come in at an affordable price point?

Just raising these points and they're not necessarily my own thoughts. Just wanting to know your views and opinions :)

And please, be rational and respect one another's thoughts. I think this could make for an interesting discussion but don't want it closed after half a day of bickering.

I'd imagine it's because everyone is on the steep part of the learning curve with regard to developing for the new consoles. Devs are discovering much better ways to do things and ways to get the best of the of new consoles and want to include these in the release. On the flip side and for the same reasons certain things won't have worked so well and have to be changed. I'd imagine all dates would have been subject to huge margins of error due to the step into the unknown. When you factor in big releases trying to 'dodge' each others' changing dates it's a volatile situation :)

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
Release dates are normally set by marketing and sales folk, rather than the guys doing the actual development. The developers may also be underestimating the effort involved when creating a game for next gen machines. Put these things together and you get delays.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
I'd prefer a delayed good game over a rushed crap game every time

ballybally

I'd prefer a delayed good game over a rushed crap game every time

I agree but I'd also prefer realistic release dates. I was excited about Driveclub and Watchdogs in November but now I've moved on. I might pick them up when they're cheap (or at least try Driveclub on PS+) but I've lost interest now. I don't understand why delays of months seem to be acceptable. Maybe devs shouldn't give release dates until they're a bit more certain of what they've got.

When release date arrives I'd also expect finished product. GTA V online was terrible. BF4 is still not what it should be and there's probably dozens of other examples if I could be bothered. But as long as people keep buying then there's no reason for it to change.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
TBH I've got a back log now of a few games. Just some games you know you'll drop everything for. They're the ones that always get delayed.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Delays happen. However they happen more than normal when a new console is released....and even more so when 2 rival consoles are releasing at the same time.

Why? Because if SONY said Drive Club, Planetside 2 etc are 6 months to a year away rather than luanch window titles they would have had less pre orders.

I haven't even turned my PS4 on for weeks (could be months now). everything I was expecting to be playing now has yet to see the light of day. If I had known these games were light years from release I would certainly have waited to get my console.

D

Deleted member 39001

Sony has certainly not jumped the gun with the PS4, it most likely started to design it the year after the PS3 was launched, and it was very obvious I thought that from the start of last year they were very well prepared for it's launch, Microsoft is a different matter for whilst their console was ready, it's obvious the Xbox management team were not!

Anyway, it as said is all about profit, Watchdogs was delayed due to GTA5 I think, it's just a modern version of it kinda and Ubisoft knows it's game would have paled in comparison and thus they would loose a lot of sales. a delay also gives them a chance to polish the game more.
And that leads me to my next point which is these devs spend millions and millions in investing in games these days, they hire AAA Hollywood actors for the voices, so they now they MUST have a top polished game to make their money.
If they make a game that's not polished or a turkey, then the public will not buy it, fact, and they will loose lots of money.

So I think they are just delaying their new IP's as they want to be sure they have got it right, it's polished and something people will want to play, look at Driveclub, the devs just decided it was not good enough and a bit rubbish and not their vision of what they wanted the game to be as a whole, so they delayed and remade what they didn't like.

Even though it is frustrating, I would much rather have a polished game *cough*Battlefield4*cough* out the box and be happy with my purchase :)

gers1978

Gran Turismo 5 is an example where eventually Sony just said "Get it out, now" and it was released nowhere near ready (despite the lengthy development time)

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Don't know how anyone can have a backlog on the PS4, especially when 2/3 of the game are below average.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Don't know how anyone can have a backlog on the PS4, especially when 2/3 of the game are below average.

Most who have backlogs have been playing on other systems to build that backlog up. I'm actually glad I don't have one. Got far too much to play. In fact I'm actually going to scrap the idea of a backlog. I just like to play what I want given the mood. If I finish the game great, if not I'll just move onto something else.

RedAl

Distinguished Member
But that's purely a personal thing. I've started loads of games but not finished them. I'm terrible for that. I'm sure I'll get back to them at some point. The games I play depend on my mood.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Quite easily tbh.

ESO and Diablo have been taking up all my time for a while now.

Got Infamous, Killzone, AC4, MGS, and a couple of the indies games to start nevermind complete!!!

Det

Distinguished Member
Most who have backlogs have been playing on other systems to build that backlog up. I'm actually glad I don't have one. Got far too much to play. In fact I'm actually going to scrap the idea of a backlog. I just like to play what I want given the mood. If I finish the game great, if not I'll just move onto something else.
Thumbs up! Just finished Brothers on my PS3.

HOLY CRAP! Literally one of the best games I've played in decades.

zt1903

Distinguished Member

Because, like any creative endeavour, predicting when a game will be "finished" is an inexact science.

Movies, albums, books, paintings et al get delayed at times. The artist/director has to balance meeting release schedules and their satisfaction with the product.

Ask George RR Martin why he didn't deliver A Dance With Dragons in 2006 instead of 2011; or ask Dr Dre what's happened to Detox; oh and where's that fourth Mad Max film?

RedAl

Distinguished Member
I really hope GRRM doesn't die before he finishes the ASOIAF series. :lease:
Me too. Although the last pic I saw of him he looked like the painter called Johnny from The Fast Show who goes mad when he says the word black. Black. Black. They lock me in the cellar and feed me pins!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone