1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Cube ?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by neilo, May 17, 2002.

1. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Is it worth buying one just for Rogue Sqaudron ? tis the only game I fancy

2. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worth buying just for Rogue Squadron?
    Yes and NO.

Es if you want a cool Star Wars experience.
    No in that is really is quite simplistic gameplay (but NOT simple to complete) and really is quite arcadde oriented (point and shoot).

As for the only game you're interested in... You're missing out on some classics

super monkey ball is worth it for monkey golf and monkey biliards alone.
    resident evil is a masterpiece.
    james bond agent under fire is damn good fun and the best version on any console i think
    attack of the clones AND bounty hunter are coming this year
    metroid prime will rock
    2 new star fox games coming

3. dred

dred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    monkey fight is worth the cost of a GC alone. get 3 mates round and you can play for hours without realising its 3am.

4. Titan28

Titan28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    depends......

It was one of the games that i bought with my cube...... but I have to say I'm pretty dissapointed with it.

My main gripe is the dreaded word......... slowdown!

It seems to plague a lot of the game...... and ruins what is otherwise a good game. Graphically, sonically it really is very good..... playability?...well yea its good but nothing that'll really hold you for that long.

One of the worst levels seem to be the battle on Hoth..... everyone looks forward to this level..... flying between AT-ATs is something to really look forward to.... until the frame rate starts to judder and the magic is lost.

The game seems quite rushed..... a prime example of this is once again on the Hoth level. I played it last night and found a Snowtrooper running... guns blazing...... but at about 60ft above the ground......hmmm

If you can put up with the slowdown and the quirks then buy it as it really does offer a slice of Starwars magic that you control. But if like me you don't expect this level of slow down in a game then maybe rent it first. :)

5. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed absoutely no slow down at all on this game

which leads me to think

there is a difference with US gamecube and US version of rogue squadron (which i own)

OR

your gamecube is buggered

6. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    my mate used to work for sony developing ps2 games, and he swears by US import consoles.

he reckons developers have to convert code for 60hz PAL, but invariably base it on the 50hz NTSC original code, and almost always never really get it any faster or smoother than the NTSC original.

7. Titan28

Titan28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reading around it seems like a 50/50 split on the slowdown issues..... half say that they have noticed the slow down the other say that there isn't any.

Maybe as you say the PAL version is infact the inferior version..... christ when will PAL gamers ever have a decent version?

I normally buy US consoles....but when the DC started the whole 60Hz option it seemed like they had cracked the whole 50/60hz issue....and to be honest as I have both a JAP and a PAL DC there really is no speed/slowdown issues on a PAL DC..... maybe I thought the cube could offer me the same.

Well.... seeing as i only bought the cube at the weekend from GAME..... think I'll use the 10 day return they offer!..... buy a US cube instead :)

Doesn't this kinda thing just really **** you off?

8. Titan28

Titan28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh.... another thing...... on your US cube whats the housing like? I have a black one and it has stress marks around the buttons..... different surface textures all over it..... just seem really cheap plastice that they used.

Sorry for all this moaning......:(

9. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get a jap.us cube from www.lik-sang.com

then get Groundy (in this forum) to make you up an RGB scart lead (costs about £70(but worth it!

Then you get RGB signal much better than s-video) and true full speed games.

Yes the lad is expensive but you will save a lot on buying the console cause of exchange rates.

by the way ask lik-sank to half the invoice sent with the sjipment to reduce the costs of import duty

10. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Titan unfortunately it does not matter what plastic you use when making it into the shape of the cube you cannot avoid those stress points as you call them, its nothing to do with cheap plastic. Also i have a U.S cube ans rogue squadron and there is not a hint of any slowdown in the game runs smoothly how ever much activity is on screen.

as for the cube overall its a bargain i received resident evil last week £28 delivered from the states and wow it rocks graphics are breathtaking, and after seeing the new trailers of upcoming games from E3 it is definately the console to own

11. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Just a few points 50hz NTSC ?
    Is there such a thing?all jap and usa consoles run in 60hz

I have a usa GC and a pal GC there is no difference whatsoever between the us version of RL and the 60hz version of RL.
    I have experienced both versions extensively and there is slight slowdown in some sequences on both but not in the hoth level.

12. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Going back to the original question. If you buy a GC just for Rogue Squadron, I think you will be disappointed. It looks the business but the gameplay is lacking.

However, it is well worth getting a GC. Super Monkey Ball is worth the price alone and the list of games over the next year is incredible. At £129 you can't go wrong.

13. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    I bought 4 games with my Gamecube (Luigi, SMB, Waverace and RL) and Rogue Leader is the least appealing gameplaywise. However, as a recreation of the Starwars films it is outstanding. Basically the answer to your question depends on how much of a Starwars nut you are.

I should add that the Gamecube is well worth buying on the strength of it's other games and upcoming titles, but if they don't appeal to you, then don't spend £150 (Cube + 1 game at Toys r us) just for Rogue Leader.

RDB :)