1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Cube - Some Questions?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by rowbos, Oct 27, 2003.

1. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Trying to decide what the best package to go for is...

May go for Argos deal - works out at £65 inc an extra controller.

Or TRUS offer £80 inc steering wheel, extra controller and memory card - does anyone have any experience of the wheel incuded in the offer - obviously its not much money so dont expect much - still - is it crap - or is it OK?

If I had to buy 3 or 4 games for my 6 year old son on the CG - what should I get?

Likewise I like driving games - whats good on the GC for me in the shape of driving and also whats good in terms of action - XIII? Metroid Prime?

Just looking for a bit of input from existing owners to save me making the wrong selections!

Cheers,

Steve.

2. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I can't think of any good *driving* games, but a good *racing* game is FZero GX. I think the new Mario Kart game is out shortly as well, I have the US version on order but don't think the UK version is too far behind.

I certainly wouldn't bother with the steering wheel, as I mentioned the games are race games rather than true driving games so the wheel would be largely redundant. Metroid Prime is certainly worth buying, a good adventure though a little too much backtracking for me personally. Don't know about XIII, though the average reviews Stateside put me off the XBox version with so much other good stuff coming out at the moment.

With Nintendo you can be sure there will be more child-friendly titles than on other platforms, and I would recommend Super Monkey Ball 2 (or 1 if you can find it cheap), Mario Sunshine and Zelda. Then you have a platform game, an adventure, and a puzzle-style game. All good fun, but I'm afraid the GC languishes in the corner for me in the face of its opposition. Certainly if you like driving games then either XBox or PS2 is much better in that respect (I would actually give the edge to PS2 for driving games due to the Gran Turismo series).

3. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've just recently bought a GC and after owning a PS2 I can safely say they IMO it wipes the floor with it.

Not sure what games are suitable for a 6 year old as I don't have any sprogs, but Metroid Prime is great, as is the new Tiger Woods game.

Enjoy!!!!

4. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mario Kart is out in Europe before it's out in America. (14th/11 as opposed to 18/11). The Japanese version is out on the 7th/11

5. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Get him Luigi Mansion - he will love it. Also Super Smash bros melee and Burnout2: Point of impact. Mario Kart will be a must have title also, and Mario Golf is great.

You MUST get Metroid Prime and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Neil.

6. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers for all that, off to make my purchases now :)

Steve.

7. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I´d also recomend Super monkey ball... it´s a brilliant game. Haven´t tried monkey ball 2 though. Mario Party 4(5 is due out in november in the us) is also simple and lots of fun, especially in multi player.

8. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    My 5 year old loves these...

Pikmin is great fun. Simple problems to solve. Cute characters.

Super Mario Sunshine appeals to kids.

Super Monkey Ball.

I think you can pick all three up for 25 quid second hand in Game at the moment.

9. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone bought the gamecube + free controller from argos? if so, what's the free controller like? i expect it's not an official one...

and a more general gamecube question - does the gamecube have any built in flash memory (for saved games) or do i have to buy a memory card too?

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You need a memory card, and I strongly recommend the wavebird wireless controller.

Neil.

11. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Free controller is a Thrustmaster powershock - looks ok - especially for nothing...

Bought two GC's from Argos today, £160 - with two extra controllers, and £35 back in vouchers as it was over £150.

Not bad I recon!

Steve.

12. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to Argos today and picked up a gamecube. The free controller isn't so bad - it's a 4gamers SPC657 Cube Controller (purple) - much chunkier and less ergonomic than the official one. I got the £5 voucher too.

Now I want some fun, multiplayer games - any suggestions? Simpsons Road rage is on the way (£15.99 from www.argos-entertainment.com) which is a good laugh in multiplayer mode (hope it's as fun as the playstation2 version i had a chance to play with). But what else? Super Monkey Ball 2? How about Monkey Ball 1 - it's cheap at the moment. Zoo Cube? I want something that's fun, easy to pick up so that the family can join in or can be played at a party...

13. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Mario Party, nuff said :)

14. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mario party sounds like great fun - presumably you need a controller for each player?

So do I buy Mario Party 4 (it's cheap) or hold out for Mario party 5?

15. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes you need a controller for each player.

I´d buy 4 if it´s alot cheaper. I really don´t think the newer party´s are any better than the older ones, just different and a nice change if you´ve played the older ones a lot. Mario Party 4 is a blast.

16. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    F-Zero GX is excellent. If you want to see what the console can do, check it out. Best graphics yet seen on a console if you ask me.