1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Cube Questions

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by popeye, May 21, 2002.

1. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone
    I don't usually visit the gaming part of the forum and when it comes to consoles my last one was an Atari 2600, so you could class me as a dinosaur.

Anyway I woundered into Dixon's the other day and was drawn to the Nintendo Game Cube, which was running the new Star Wars Rouge Squadron. Wow! I was totally blown away.
    The game looks great and being a Star Wars fan I loved it.
    Now forgive my ignorance but if any of you regular gamers out there can answer some basic questions I would be grateful. (You know who you are)

1.Should I buy the US version or the Pal. Is there any real difference?
    2. Can the unit be connected to an AV amp?
    3. Can I connect the unit to a projector via S video?
    4. How does the game cube compare to other consoles available.

Regards

popeye:D

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    1. Think it's easier just to stick with the Pal version, but someone else might say to get the US version.
    2. Yes
    3. No - the GC doesn't output s-video
    4. Guess all the fanboys of the PS2 and Xbox will have something to tell you. If you like the look of the GC then jump at it. At the price it can't be beaten (get it via Virgin Megastore as you get 2 games and the console for £190 and a £50 voucher to spend on other GC goodies :) )

Haven't got a GC yet, but I'm tempted.

3. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a deep pit full of rattle snakes and a very old l
    Ratings:
    +14
    ....Of course if you got a US gamecube this WILL output in S-Video.

cheers
    pizzed-monkey

4. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone. I'm gonna take the plunge and buy a Pal GC.
    What options do you have to connect the unit to a TV or projector? Is it just a scart socket or nothing!

popeye:confused:

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I always advise to buy import consoles. If full-speed, full-screen gaming is your first priority, then you can only guarantee this 100% with an import console. The Pal machine does support 60hz in the hardware but it's implementation is ultimately the decision of each individual developer. Some PAL games will be optimised but many will not.

However, if being able to buy your games locally or rent games is your first priority, then buy the Pal machine.

Yes. Connection is via standard 2 Channel RCA phono. However, some games support Pro-Logic and Rogue Leader supports Pro-Logic II for 5 channel sound. This works very well and rivals Dolby Digital in games (not movies). In fact, it has more flexibilty than Dolby Digital in games because effects can be generated real-time and there is no compression. At this moment in time Rogue Leader is the only game to support Pro-Logic II but many more will follow as the MusyX Dev. kits are being made available to all developers from now on.

You cannot connect the Pal Gamecube via S-Video. Your only methods there are RGB (Scart) or Composite (Scart or 3 RCA phono). You can also connect using Component via the DV-Out by using a Nintendo Component Cable. This Cable will not be released in the UK but you can obtain one from most importers or the likes of Lik-Sang.com. If your Projector has Component Input (3 RCA with Sync on Green), then use this method.

You can connect the import Gamecube via S-Video, Composite, Component or RGB (RGB only available via a modified Component Cable - see my site below for instructions on how to make this).

Objective question but I own all 3 consoles. Gamecube fairs every bit as well the others. Also, it will be host to some of the greatest games you'll ever play.

6. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Kinda on this topic, does anyone (groudy - you being the obvious person) know anyone making RGB scart leads for import machines? It's an expensive solution, but my TV doesn't accept s-video, and i'd rather watch Pearl Harbour that use composite. Or failing that, does anyone know anyone who'd put it all together if i got all the required bits? Gonna go GC nuts once i've done all my uni work (9 days left - w00t), and i needs me RGB.

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mail me if you're interested. :)