game cube & plasma

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by jmack, Aug 11, 2002.

1. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i will be getting a uk game cube this week and will be connecting it up to a my 42 toshiba plasma via composite.
    will it be full screen ,widescreen,or stretched, 4.3 ?
    whats the pq like do any one have a setup like this they can share there thoughts?
    cheers

2. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I have a US cube connected to my 42" Panasonic plasma and find the picture quality to be exceptional. I use progressive scan where possible, though the deinterlacer in the panel is great as you will find with your UK Cube (which does not offer pro-scan output I think).

The Tosh is a rebadged Panasonic isn't it? If so, you will find a great picture waiting for you, but I would seriously use a better connection than composite asap. I use component for XBox and GC, with PS2 on SVideo.

And don't forget to drop the contrast level for video gaming to avoid the risk of burn-in on your new panel. I set contrast to its lowest level for video games, but this produces a fine picture as the white level always seems fairly pushed at default settings on plasma units anyway.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the reply i am using component for my dvd ,vga for ntl digital, so its only composite and s-video left ?
    does the uk game cube have s-video output? what about the screen size will it be in 4.3 or wide screen ? thanks again

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,104
    no svideo output on UK GC unfortunately
    I don;t think that many GC games have widescreen options...

5. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not true

a lot of the gamecube games are in widescreen, someare in progressive scan also

if it is widescreen it switches automactically.

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if a game is in 4.3 can i stretch it like a film in the tv settings

7. McPastry

McPastry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just get an ordinary composite / stereo switchbox, and route the component cables through that. (ie red -> red, green -> yellow, blue -> white). I've got three consoles and a dvd player hooked up this way, and it works great! No loss of picture quality at all. Just make sure you get a decent component cable to connect the switchbox to the TV.

8. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Progressive is only available with import Gamecubes as far as I know, and out of my GC games only one (Eternal Darkness) supports widescreen. Hardly what I call 'a lot' of widescreen support. The others, which do not support widescreen, are:

Wave Race
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron
    Super Monkey Ball
    Resident Evil

If you use progressive scan (Wave Race, SW and ED out of my games) then many plasmas, mine included, lock onto the 480p signal and only offer WIDE and ZOOM modes or similar. This would mean that you may mistakenly believe Wave Race or Star Wars supports widescreen, as the 480p switches the TV into WIDE mode, but all you are seeing is a stretched 4:3 image.

The only other GC widescreen games I know of are Burnout and Fifa, does anyone know others. So far the GC has the worst widescreen support of the next gen consoles.

9. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Personally I think gaming works better in 4:3 anyway. If 4:3 is good enough for the arcades, it's good enough for the home consoles. There just isn't the same degree of justification for widescreen videogaming in comparison to widescreen movies, i.e, games rarely utilise or benefit from stunning cinematography or sweeping panoramas. With gaming, you're more or less always focused on the center portion of the screen :).

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,104
    a GC game wont automatically switch to widescreen unless using an RGB lead fed into an auto-switch enabled scart socket. The ony widescreen games I'ce seen on GC are Burnout and Eternal Darkness..although there may be more..
    and Groundy's right..UK GCs wont do progressive..

11. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will i loose much pq by stretching it to fit the screen?

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I said it before that locking into widescreen is damn annoying for some games >_< Still I hope that there is increased widescreen support though in future games, esp. racers. GT3 just looks too good ^_^ Back on topic... ^_^ Using Super Live or a similar zoom mode helps since it keeps the aspect ratio correct in the centre of the screen then it stretches the rest out. Not better than 4:3 but at least the distortion is kept at a minimum.