game cube digital out

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by fuzzy, Sep 30, 2002.

1. fuzzy

fuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

quick question

what is the "digital out" port on the game cube used for? :confused:

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The DV-Out port on the Gamecube is used for high-res progressive scan video connection through a Component Video Cable or D-Terminal (JAPAN) Cable.

It's main purpose and intended use was for import Gamcubes which did not output RGB from the Analogue Multi-Out. Component Video is generally considered to be the best connection method assuming you have the right inputs etc. and is the standard over RGB in the US and elsewhere. However, with a little modification (see my sig) the DV-Out can be put to great use for us import owners requiring high-quality RGB in the UK ;).

Nintendo implemented RGB as standard via the Analogue Multi-Out on the PAL Cube but just left the DV-Out port on the hardware. This was nice of them because it allows you to hook up a PAL Cube via Component Video and also use RGB via one of my cables which gives a slight improvement over RGB from the Analogue port.

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy perhaps you could help with this as well. How can I feed gamecube sound to my amp when I get it? I'm using the nintendo rgb scart from analogue out. would I need to use the audio out on the TV?

4. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Does anyone know where you can buy component cables for the nintendo. I have recently returned from holiday in the USA and had no trouble getting xbox component cables but no luck with nintendo - although several of their games mention it in the booklets. Also is such a cable available for PS2.

5. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I got my GC component cable from Lik Sang. I don't think they are sold officially in the UK, I have never seen one.

There is also a component cable for the PS2 and these are readily available. I got mine in a large HMV Megastore.

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    James, you have a few options. Easiest is to just run the phono's from the TV-Out to the Amp. Or you could buy a scart splitter with audio L/R breakout like the much discussed Argos box (£9.75) - run the GC's RGB Scart directly to this, then run a pair of phono cables to the Amp.

Or you could use one of my high quality RGB cables from the DV-Out thus freeing up your Analogue port for Audio Out but this would be the expensive option.

Lastly, I have some 3rd party RGB Cables that supposedly work with the PAL Cube and have an Audio L/R breakout box attached. I use them with my mods and they are quite good quality with Gold-Plated connectors etc. You can have one for £10 delivered. If it doesn't work, send it back and I'll refund you :). I just don't have access to a Pal Cube to test them.

docsmith:

You can get the Component Cable from a few UK Importers but they charge a little too much. I recommend you try:

http://www.tronixweb.com

or

http://www.ncsx.com

They are my two favourite importers based in the US and offer service is second to none. Both should have Component Cables in stock and you should expect to pay around £30 after p&p.

7. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Groundy,

Ive just bought a pal cube and an RGB cable (£9.99) from game. The thing is i had a better picture when i used the standed cable that comes with the Gamecube plugging the leads in the front AV3 sockets (White, Red, Yellow phono plugs) on my tv.

When ive got the RGB cable in AV1 ( AV1 & 2 are both RGB ) and set the game to 60hz the screen seems fuzzy so would it be the cable, i know or dont think its the tv ( Thomson 32WF45UG 100hz ) or the cube wich is a week old and the tv about 8 months.

Also what is a component cable, and would i be able to use one on my tv.

Cheers.

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ytgti,

It sounds to me like the cable you bought from Game is not really an RGB Cable. There was a lot of 3rd party Cables released around the same time as the PAL Cube which did not in fact pass an RGB signal because Nintendo changed the Pin-Outs just before release. They are still marketed as RGB Cables but all you will be getting is a Composite picture, and a poor one at that.

My advice to you would be to buy only the official Nintendo RGB Cable as this gives very good results. It's £20 to £25 though. Alternatively, you could try one of the 3rd party RGB Cables that I have as mentioned in my post above. They are good quality and I'm told they do pass an RGB signal with the Pal Cube. £10 and your money back if not satisfied. I would also bring that cable you have back to Game and tell them it doesn't do RGB at all. They should exchange it (+ cash) for an official one or give you your money back,

The problem is definately the cable and your TV is not at fault. The Thomson does not accept Component Video Input (3 seperate phono sockets coloured Red/Green/Blue) as far as I know so you won't be able to use this method. It gives a slight edge over RGB but there is not much in it.

9. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers groundy, i will take it back next week.

One thing, i read somewhere that if it had 21 pins it would pass an RGB signal so is this incorrect then.

Cheers.

10. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A fully wired (all 21 pins) Scart Lead should indeed pass an RGB signal but it's the Pin-Outs at the Gamecube's Analogue Multi-Out that determines the signal in this case.

11. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you run cables from tv out into amp with prologic 2 will you get the sound your spose to?i have official nin rgb cable but would like to use my amp also.cheers.

12. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Groundy,

I have just bought the official Nintendo RGB cable and i am not happy with it.

1. I get colour bleed (greeny colour) like ive got a magnet near the tv (top left & bottom right of the screen).

2. The scart socket only has 9 pins in the tv end, is this right for an RGB cable.

The picture has now improved with the new cable (no fuzzyness)but on some games when i'm scrolling through the menus the screen at the edges bends inwards/outwards as different menus and light appear, especialy on super monkey ball. Is this the game, i cant remember it being like that before.

So now ive got two cables that are no good to me cos they both have some sort of problem in 60hz mode so i was thinking of trying one of your high quality cables.

I'll wait for your reply to see what you think.

Cheers.

13. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy is the argos splitter the cheapest/tidiest way of splitting audio l/r from a scart (i have a pace box with hardwaired scart)

Thanks

14. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, you will get Pro-Logic II encoding this way as long as your Amp supports it :).

15. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Dom,

the Argos box is certainly the cheapest and tidiest way to do this. They are more expensive options of course such as the BTECH QUATTRO but a lot of people (myself included) are happy with the Argos box for £9.75. You shouldn't really notice any loss of quality asnd all sockets are RGB wired :).

16. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Strange problem this, I take it you don't have any speakers close by that could be causing this interference?

It could get away with 9 Pins if all pins are not grounded individually. Pins that should be connected are:

Pin 5, Pin 7, Pin 9, Pin 11, Pin 13, Pin 15 (RGB Pins + Grounds)

Pin 2, Pin 6 (Audio L/R)

Pin 4 (Audio Ground)

Pin 8 (Switching Voltage)

Pin 16 (RGB Selection)

Pin 17 or Pin 18 (Composite Ground)

Pin 20 (Composite Video)

As you can see, that is more than 9 pins but some of the grounds may be wired collectively to Pin 4 I still would have thought there would be more than 9 pins wired up though. Perhaps someone else with an official PAL RGB Cable can confirm this?

This is not the game but is infact your TV, which seems to have some Geometry problems in RGB mode. This is not uncommon but if it's particulalrly bad, you should get it checked out.

One of my cables will make no difference to your TV's geometry issues. The colour staining could be convergence errors but I would have though this would show up in other modes as well as RGB. While unlikely, it's still entirely possible that your official PAL RGB Cable is faulty. I can't suggest anything else, other than trying it on a different TV to see if the same problems exist.

17. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Groundy,

Just turned my cube on (with the cheap cable) and still noticed these geometry problems, tried numerous games but it only seems to be SMB. Then i thought i'd try the other cable (official one) and it seems to be fine, no colour distortion :confused:.

Tried this on a few games and they all seem o.k :) just SMB :(

The one thing i did notice was the scart doesn't seem as tight a fit in the t.v as the others so i dont know if it might of been this, but i always make sure there in properly.

Anyway cheers for all your help Groundy.