Game Cube Connections

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by scarty16, Oct 24, 2003.

1. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    Not sure if this should go into this or the Console section but hear goes anyway.

I am getting a Gamecibe for my little menace, I want to connect it into my AV32R, what connections does it have on the back,
    ie: for audio SPDIF, Digital Coax, stereo phonos etc

and for video scart, component, svideo etc

As I need to get the cables and talking to comet/dixons salespeople etc is like talking to a lump of clay, they think spdif is just a bad scrabble hand.

Also what do people recommend?

2. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Gamecube doesn't have a digital out, only analogue (but with PL2 encoding for a lot of games). In the box it will come with a cable which has stereo audio and a composite connectors and a SCART adapter. The UK cube can also output component and RGB with the right cables, the UK cube can't output S-Video on it's own.

Since my TV only has one SCART RGB socket, I convert the RGB from the Gamecube into S-Video. I use a version 1 John Sim RGB to S-Video (www.rgbtosvideo.com) box, it takes an RGB SCART input and has stereo phono and S-Video outputs that go into my AV32R.

3. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    is there some trick to get the RGB or component out of the GCube or do you just have to have the right cables?

4. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No tricks, just the right cables.

For RGB I'd recommend the official Nintendo SCART cable, most (all?) of the third party SCART cables are composite only so don't offer anything over the free one in the box. The Nintendo cable doesn't have seperate RCAs for the audio, just the SCART plug. The easiest way of getting the sound out is just to use the audio outs on the TV, most TVs will route the SCART sound back out.

I've not tried component, but it connects to a different socket on the back of the Gamecube so you can use component to the TV and use the audio connectors on the supplied cable to goto the AV32R.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    GC has a digital video out. This can connect direct to plasma etc Goblin are very good for cables but expensive!

6. pauljames

pauljames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Try and locate groundy in the console section, he is normally The man when it comes to console (and gamecube in particular) cables.

Cheers,
    Paul