1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Consoles & Widescreen 100hz CRT TVs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Suj, May 5, 2004.

1. Suj

Suj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I am planning on upgrading to a 32" 100hz widescreen TV, the 2 models I have seen are the Sony 32FX68U or maybe the Philips 32PW9618

Please can anyone tell me what the picture quality is like if I connect a Sony PS2 via RGB Scart? Also do you still have the option to change to 4.3 format?

Thanks..

2. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    yes u can change to 4:3.
    does the ps2 not offer a widescreen output? the Xbox does.

mark

3. Suj

Suj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ahhh Yes I think the PS2 does also offer a widescreen output,

However, I think the games look 'squashed' in the 16:9 format and are much better suited to 4:3

Thanks for your help..

4. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends largely on the game. Both consoles can give anamorphic widescreen but it seems that only a few PS2 games use this (Gran Tourismo 3 does) while most XBox games have this available.

As far as console games and 100Hz televisions go I'd focus my attention on aspect ratio possibilites and the level of motion compensation.

Basically if the telly has lots of aspect ratio choices then it is most likely that you'll be able to find the correct one for every game. As far as XBox goes I have only had 4:3 and anamorphic widescreen games but with Dreamcast and PS2 sometimes there are games which require a weird aspect ratio meaning 14:9 or 16:9 (here meaning not anamorphic widescreen).

As far as I know both the Philips and the Sony have those aspect ratios.

As far as motion compensation goes that's a bit tougher question. Basically motion compensation means how smoothly does the image move when there is movement. The level of motion compensation largely depends on the individual viewer; some like their moving image as smooth as possible, some want "cinema like" (meaning almost nothing at all) motion compensation.

BTW: the reson why I do not go to movie theaters any more is that 1. the image flickers! 2. when panning the image stutters

Since games have a lot of movement I recommend that you select a telly which is known for good motion compensation technology. I don't know which motion compensation technology that Sony has but newer Sony's use technology (advanced 100 Hz digital scan) which produces horrible artifacts and stutters. I know this from experience since I was forced to use such technology for a while. As owner of 36PW9618 I can recommend this telly's motion compensation which is known as digital natural motion (which is part of pixel plus and movie plus modes). Since pixel plus includes also oversampling I sugges that you review both sets in store before bying them. You should also demand to have the remote controller to fiddle with since most stores have set Philly's sharpness to sickening levels which makes the picture look undesireable (with pixel plus sharpness should be set to level of 0 or 1 maximum).

5. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB quality is always excellent. I recommend getting the official cable though as I had problems with a cheap Gamecube cable, then got the Nintendo one and it was perfect.

Widescreens always let you change to 4:3.

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The ps2 has excellent animation generally but a poor display. Basically it creates 50 unique fields instead of displaying 25 frames over 50 fields. Its as if the ps2 is creating 50 frames per second but each frame only gets shown as one field. This contrasts with other consoles that just create 25 frames and show each frame as two fields. This gives ps2 animation an extra smoothness but also causes horrible aliasing in ps2 games and makes them look lower resolution. I've been playing serious sam on my ps2 and it looks great on my 100hz thomson.

7. Suj

Suj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your help Guys,

I had been put off getting a 100hz TV, as I would be using it for all my Game Consoles as well (e.g PS2 Gamecube, Dreamcast). Its just I had heard a lot of problems with 100hz and smoothness and insome cases 50hz maybe better

I will most likely get the Sony 32FX68 (unless the price of the Philips 9618 drops) If anyone has the 32FX68 hooked up with a PS2 let me know if there are any problems with smoothness/stuttering framerates etc.

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    100hz is not a constant. Each manufacturer comes up with his own 100hz circuitry and some are better than others. Its not fair to criticise a Sony 100hz because of problems on a 100hz Panasonic.

I actually find gaming on a 100hz set better mainly because gaming is something where your eyes become incredibly focussed on the screen more so than passive viewing. The point is at 100hz there is much reduced flicker and the screen is more pleasant in this regard. It has a higher comfort rating basically.

A good 50hz set will give you the best possible RGB picture. I don't think juddery animation is true of all 100hz sets. In theory it should be better on 100hz sets and is certainly the case with mine. I actually tested a load of dvd players for ntsc to pal 50hz conversion using my 100hz set. The result which surprised me was that when I actually tried a dvd player on a 50hz set it was more juddery than a similar player on my 100hz set. The 100hz was improving the conversion quality. I'm not kidding. The only other thing to say was the Thomson is a widescreen 100hz and the 50hz set was a Hitachi 25" 4:3 set. So perhaps the tv aspect also had some effect. However the Thomson definitely had smoother animation.

9. lilwashu

lilwashu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use a Gamecube, PS2, Xbox and Dreamcast with a KV32FX68 and have noticed the following:

Very few games that I have take advantage of widescreen but the ones that do look fantastic (F-Zero GX).

The RGB quality is good but not quite as good as my old 50hz 4:3. No stuttering, blurring or anything like that. For some reason my PS2 SCART cable wouldn't feed RGB to the set through a switchbox that was working fine with my old TV, but all the other consoles worked fine with it.

G-Con 2 lightgun doesn't work properly with it which is a shame as I was looking forward to a bit of Time Crisis 3.

I think as has been stated elsewhere, for the best possible RGB picture you will need a 50hz TV at the moment. I decided after a lot of debate to get a 100hz set as it seems the 50hz 32" Widescreen models are not generally as good as the 100hz ones.

10. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I use a 100Hz Loewe Aconda with my DC, GC, PS2 and Xbox. The 100Hz display doesn't make a huge difference on it's own but the Loewe's motion interpolation (DMI,DMM) is great with games that have a lowish framerate.
    Playing old PS games on the PS2 gets the most benefit from the DMI but sometimes it makes things look smeared. P.N.03 look rubbish with the smoothing on but I can't look at sports games with out the interpolation turned out.

I too have discovered that light guns do not work on my TV, not even the 100Hz compatible models.

I've still never owned a 16:9 compatible PS2 game but a fair few Xbox games support the ratio.