GAME component cable - no better than composite?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by Sasso Palmieri, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Sasso Palmieri

Sasso Palmieri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    For LG 42PC1D

I picked up the Game own-brand component cable and to my extremely-critical eyes, there is no visible difference from the composite lead. I am not happy.

Moreover, having been satisfied with Wii Sports' lo-fi graphics (they work for the game) I was appalled by Red Steel, which looks almost PSXish. Zelda resembles an N64 game.

Admittedly, I will accept accusations of a rose-tinted outlook (and perhaps being spoiled by HD DVD and 360) but AFAIC, the Wii looks worse than the GC. I'm still stomping through Tales of Symphonia and it looks a hundred times better than either game I've mentioned.

576i gives the highest resolution but something must be horribly wrong to produce such a substandard image, especially through component.

Are there hidden settings for chrominance and luminance, or RGB/YPbPr?

Lastly, I've found the whites entirely overblown, especially on Mii plaza, no matter how low the contrast.

Suggestions?

2. Coolasmoo

Coolasmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Im using the Madcatz on a toshiba WLT68,

While you can see some noticable difference in Wii Sports, i find Zelda to be not much different.

The trouble is, i can see myself wasting huge amounts of money with different cables trying to get the PQ of the Wii up to scratch,

3. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    I wouldn't say the difference was HUGE, but I do see an obvious difference, of course after having chosen EDTV/HDTV in the menu settings.

To me, the colours are a bit more controlled and vibrant, and the usual edge bluriness that occurs with composite is cleaned up, giving a more crisp image.

Jonathan

4. Kube

Kube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Have you it set to HDTV? It should look way better than Tales of Symphonia.

5. Sasso Palmieri

Sasso Palmieri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The EDTV/HDTV setting actually lowers the resolution. Progressive scan is of no interest - I'm not concerned with imitating film where videogames are concerned, so have selected 576i. However, without knowing what the native resolution of the games is, it's impossible to match to the TV.

Unimpressed...

6. Grimbo

Grimbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Game component cable and (IMHO) there is a massive difference!

You must have a problem somewhere (maybe the TV isn't setup correctly).

7. Sasso Palmieri

Sasso Palmieri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Believe me, the TV is set-up correctly.

Ordinarily, with equipment that is capable of outputting over multiple video standards, there are internal settings to ensure compliance between the video generator (DVD player, etc) and the receiver (TV, monitor, etc). The Wii has none, aside from a choice of resolution and p/i. There is no control for RGB/Luma, ergo, I suspect the image is suffering - at least on my set.

By comparison, the SD DVD player (over component) is flawless and it's the same resolution.

8. mattzilla

mattzilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got one of these last night and noticed a BIG difference in Zelda using GAME's own cable with my Toshiba 26WLT66.

Colours seem brighter, the overall picture is a lot lot sharper (unlike the very muddy picture I was getting through composite)

9. Grimbo

Grimbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what to suggest Sasso, but I don't think it is the cable - a friend of mine has the same cable and he too notices a big difference.

10. Sasso Palmieri

Sasso Palmieri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I suspect it's a case of poor upscaling.

Still, perhaps there is a problem with the compnent input. But the question remain, why does SD DVD look fine through it? It's almost identical to HDMI.

11. The_Wierd

The_Wierd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +703
    I also have the same cable and there is a big improvement especially in 480p. Obviously the resolution is not going to improve,and if anything 'jaggies' are slightly more visible, but the colours are much more vivid with no blurring or bleeding as with the composite cable. Zelda still looks a bit soft, but that's a graphical effect, I think its supposed to look like that as the menu screens look very sharp.

You can't really compare video game output with a DVD player, the source images are just not the same thing. It sounds like something to do with your TV - try turning off all the image processing tricks in the menu, and especially any 'dymanic' settings. You probably also need the contrast a bit lower for games than for DVD watching.

12. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    Sasso Palmieri

why not try 480p then and see if it looks better?

try mario kart on the cube and look at the HUD of the driver pictures while racing, on composite the blue looks very washed out and i bet via component it doesnt do that.

i think its probably your cables naff or your tv is having trouble with 576i over component. does your dvd player output 576i over component?

13. Sasso Palmieri

Sasso Palmieri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I agree with that.

I disagree. Both machines are feeding a video signal, irrespective of the content of that signal (static pictures, motion picture, CGI, etc). If the standard 625-line PAL image can look sharp over upscaled SD DVD, why can't the Wii's image? The only discernable difference is, with the Wii, the TV is doing the upscaling, whereas, with DVD, the player is.

Again, I have tried all settings, to no avail. Even with the contrast set low, whites are still blown out/overexposed. I think I need to check some Cube games to see how things stack up.

Also, I'd be interested to see how an RGB scart lead looks.

Thanks for the comment, though.

14. Sasso Palmieri

Sasso Palmieri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, it's a third-party lead, so it could be cock. However, without a side-by-side comparison with the oficial cable, I'll never know.

The DVD player will o/p PAL (625/576) interlaced as well as progressive. I run it over HDMI but have used in on component before and it's fine.

I'll do some more fiddling this evening.

Ta..

15. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Component should always be a step up over composite.

That said some display devices (and some sources) implement component badly, but I have to say in over 5 projectors I've never seen composite that is anywhere nears as good as component (which would be my broadcast experience also.)

I'm about to get component from the WII to my projector - and I expect a huge difference.

16. SHPanda

SHPanda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Complete rubbish, Zelda doesn't look as good as it could do and nor does Red Steel, but that's because for one they're both launch games and two Zelda is was designed for the Cube. But it still looks like a decent Cube game, even if it doesn't look like the best Cube game. Saying it looks like an N64 game is being a bit childish and it's no wonder you think the component cable doesn't make it look any better.

17. Sasso Palmieri

Sasso Palmieri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Get off your high horse, mate. I made a statement of opinion.

Even my girlfriend - who tolerates the worst quality repro with no complaint - commented on how poor RS looked.

I am a sound engineer, film-maker and games journalist of many years and know my fields very well. The Wii image (by current good-quality SD and newer HD standards) is not a good one.

However, if you'd read the rest of the post, you'd have seen the allusions I made to the cause being a potentially-comparative oneafter watching HD-DVD and playing the X360. I also admit that it could be an upscaling problem.

But keep your derisory remarks off the page in future - or learn to express them more clearly.

18. Kube

Kube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Zelda isnt that bad though:

[​IMG]

;)

19. rwttm001

rwttm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
  20. davidcharles

davidcharles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    sasso..

i know what you are saying...but i was surprised how much better my cube games looked on the wii thru component....much crisper and better colours , also progressive scan and 60hz.....i don't think the wii has any great looking games yet , ultra high def graphics is not the point of the wii....

i was also a little dissapointed with the wii component difference but when i tried composite after a few days of component , i realised how much better it was....

21. Kube

Kube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    TBH, i can see why the guy reacted to that comment. Because, well, its nonsense.

22. Mevlock

Mevlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +364
    Have to agree here. Your either massively over-exagerating (and you should know better if so since your a games journalist) or you have something seriously wrong with your set-up. I've been playing games since the 8-bit days and making comparisons like this is just laughable ;)

Sorry but that's just MY opinion.

23. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    agreed, its like saying super mario all stars looks like the original super mario bros.

yes they are both 2d games, but the texture quality is far better on all stars, just like OoT and TP are both 3d games but TP has lots more polygons and FAR better textures.

when was the last time you played OoT? maybe you should bung it in your wii (if you have the collectors/MQ disc) and have a brief look, they are miles apart, and IMO TP is a much better game esspecially when you get into a few of the dungeons

not saying OoT is a poorer game, just TP is new and so has had a chance to build on OoT

played TLoZ the other day too, man has that game stood the test of time, got hooked on it again instantly lol

actually just to remind you
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hope that helps your professional journalism OouT :p

24. Sasso Palmieri

Sasso Palmieri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've already made it clear why I made that statement. Perhaps there is something wrong my component connection, or perhaps it is a comparative problem.

Either way, as it stands, TP looks poor - very poor - on my system. I was expecting a huge improvement over component but did not see it. The Wii may not be HD but it should be capable of Ikaruga or Gradius V-quality graphics.

I expect HD DVD and Gears of War have set the bar too high for my Wii expectations. Upscaling doesn't help, either.

ToS will be the litmus test.

Also, I believe RGB SCART should be of comparable quality but have ye to source one.

25. benny

benny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,032
    Hi, i bought the mad catz component, but just recieved the official one from japan, and is without doubt better, colours are more rich and vibrant, the image is a lot cleaner and overall is correct, not like the mad catz which i was dissapointed in, maybe able to see more problems, going into a 50"fujitsu and iam happy now, not quite 360 gears of war but still great. ben

26. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    Very interesting. As a community we really need a comparison of the Game/Gameplay one vs the official one now. Clearly the answer is repeated and definite for the MadCatz one.

Having done my own experiments with the Game cable and fusewire I was unable to change the picture in a really obvious way, other than a bit dimmer of a bit softer..but I am talking small differences. This makes me wonder if there are other components or non standard compliant aspects to the official one that 3rd parties have failed to copy.

Jonathan

27. Sasso Palmieri

Sasso Palmieri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think I've just realised what's going on: when we received Outrun 2: C2C for Xbox review in the office, playing it on the 42" Sammy HD LCD made it look poor, no matter what we did. Convinced something wasn't right and knowing how nice the original looked, we switched it back to a CRT TV and the difference was astonishing. Razor-sharp and utterly beautiful.

I think the same's happening with the Wii. An SD signal, upscaled to a large, HD screen. I'll bet if I use a SD CRT TV, it'll look just as SMB or Biohazard 4 did - sharp, clean and colourful. I've not checked any SD consoles on the TV yet and I think my DC, Xbox or PS2 will look poor in upscaled mode.

I'm still open to it being a crappy lead, too.

28. ikix

ikix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think components should and will make it look better. If youre using a humungous screen then its obviously goign to look a bit .......... crappy either way cos big tvs are only good with HD (basically wat HD was designed for, good quality with big size). I would however discourage from getting other cables than the official, up to you and wat others say tho as i havent actually used the wii ones yet, but every other cable ive got for any other console which isnt the official actually makes it look worse, or in the case of the component by Joytech for the 360 compared to the official by Microsoft, the official was much better

29. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,197
    I find reading CVs boring :boring:

:rotfl:

I should have the Fanatec premium cables arriving this weekend. I've a lot of respect for Fanatec as a brand and I'm hoping it will clean up look of the Wii. I'd sooner see some jaggies than a muddy picture. I've refused to touch Zelda until I can enjoy it via component!

30. Sasso Palmieri

Sasso Palmieri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Should I actually stumble across an official lead, I think I'll pick it up!