Galveston 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for your take, Cas.
I like Ben Foster but found him somewhat lackluster in this. And the languid shots of Elle Fanning doing her usual let's stare into space and appear thoughtful or at least pretty did nothing for me. Further, I've yet to see her in anything where she puts in a consistent performance or, at least enthused one. She often comes off as mopey to me. There are crying scenes with her and one had me flashing back to Eddie Murphy's skit of the kid who just dropped their ice cream and is trying to talk whilst pumping out words in an asthma-like attack.
The film hangs around in parts where it felt like it should move on and moves off in others where it should've had a more attacking Ben Foster at his situation.
To it's credit, it doesn't necessarily end up where or why you thought it would but it was too little a twist too late for me.
I need more than picture quality and sounds to make up for a wanting outing overall.

Love Ben Foster. One of the most underrated guys out there. Not sure how well my DX902 will hold up to 'anti-Meg' levels of darkness though!

I really loved the the use of darkness and contrast. So many memorable shots in this film. One interesting aspect was how dark the scenes were in the motel; that any colour came across as lurid in these (like taking a picture indoors without a flash).

The film equally is dark, but in my mind the characters are truly plausible.

I was intending to move this film on straightaway, but now I have my reference disc for pure black so will hold onto it a little longer and wait for the next one by Laurent.

This is an excellent movie. Foster was very good in the superb, hell or high water. He's good again in this slow burn modern noire.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom