Gallos Micros

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Techno, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I desperately want 5 gallo micros in stainless steel, 4 floor stands and a wall mount but list price is beyond my current budget.

I was thinking of buying something cheaper and then upgrading but seems a shame not to just buy now.

Anybody know any dealers who would do a deal please.

Thank you

Tech

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    They are only satellite speakers so don't forget to budget for a subwoofer as well.

3. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Ian, it's a fair point. I couldn't stretch to a Gallos priced sub at the moment. I do have a sub all be it a more modest Eltax, but I'm hoping to build on that.

I just thought it would be better tostump up a grand for the gallos now rather than spend maybe £4 or £500 on speaker sthat IU would want to change asap.

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    How about buying secnd hand ? I have bought most of my Gallo setup that was and saved hundreds of pounds.. only bits I bought new were the sub and Due for the centre speaker.. the 2 divas and 4 micros were off various forums claissifeds!

Worth a Look..

Matt

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Techno's Gallo speakers should have been delivered to him yesterday :thumbsup:

6. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They were indeed. Superb service from AV-Sales. Ordered one morning, delivered at 7.50am the next.

Set them up last night, just replacing the standard speakers of my TV with DD onboard.

Very pleased with look - can't comment on sound until the Marantz is set-up.

I would have loved to buy second hand Matt but they didn't seem to be coming up and I'm a tad impatient.

7. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, too late to let you know about Orb Audios very similar stainless steel balls. Check out their site: you'd have to ship them from teh States, but they sound a very responsive company, and I understand their sub doesn't suck like the Gallos does (IMHO). As soon as I have teh funds, these are what I'll be getting.

8. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Look good - price is too.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I've had a look at the website and the Orb speakers look very interesting and are competitively priced but it doesn't mention that they will ship to UK and/or what the shipping costs might be and don't forget that the sub is probably designed for operation on 110v

Assuming that it isn't dual voltage, you could always use it with a transformer but they aren't really recommended for subwoofers.

If you are seriously interested in these speakers I would suggest that you only think about importing the satellites themselves and buy a different make of subwoofer over here.

10. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good point about the voltage, Ian - I'll email them about that. Here is what they had to say about shipping (a very quick response):

I think you will be quite pleased with the clarity of our speakers.
    Clarity, imaging and fullness of sound are the hallmarks of our system. If
    you are looking at subwoofers that you can buy locally, let us know the
    brands and models and we can help you decide what matches our system best.

As for shipping costs, Global Express Mail (3-5 day service) is only US$70,
    so shipping is actually fairly reasonable and we maintain quite a cost
    advantage over most other speakers due to our business model.

When you are ready to purchase, you can send me an email with whatever
    specific speakers and mounts you need and I will get an exact shipping
    quote. We can receive international payments via www.paypal.com or over the
    phone at 212-706-1948 (depending on the rules of your credit card issuer).

Best,
    Ethan

What I particularly like is that you can easily upgrade from the Mod 1s (1 orb) to the Mod 2s (2 orbs). This was the weakness I found with the Gallos (demo): the centre channel defintiely needed some help. My current thinking is to go for 3 Mod 2s for left/front/right, with 2 Mod 1s for the rear. If on testing I can get away with just one orb for left and right, then I can use the other orbs either as part of a 7-channel system (not sure Er Indoors would go for that) or as satellite speakers in another room.

The business model they refer to is not having dealers (or dealer mark-ups). I like that fact that they respond so quickly and personally. As you can see, they seem quite happy to recommend another sub, so there's no ego there. There is also a 30-day no-fuss returns policy (yeah, you'd lose the $70 shipping, but think what you're saving overall).

I'll let you know how I get on (if anyone knows any good arguments for justifying speaker purchases to wives who think that the telly's too loud anyway, please let me know).

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    If only life were that simple :(

Acording to my rough and ready calculations, a set of five Mod 1 balls would cost you $550 plus $70 shipping. On top of this you will also have to pay import duty of 4.5% plus Vat at 17.5% on everything on top of that.

At the current rates of exchange the total cost would be about £412 which is still under half of the cost of the Gallo NM speakers.

Likewise the Mod 2 speakers would cost a total of £780 which is again cheap in comparison to the Gallo equivalent.

I don't think that you should entertain trying to return the speakers for any other reason other than they are faulty as I don't know how you would go about reclaiming the import duty and vat that you had paid.

Still at £412 for the set of five plus a UK sourced subwoofer it certainly seems well worth a punt for those that are more adventurous.

12. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah, yes, the joy of tax. You're quite right that you'd almost certainly find it hard to reclaim that - though in principle it should be possible, I'd have thought. I still think it's worth the punt (the only alternative for the missus being the new AE Ago P5 mark 2s, which have had positive comments - but I can't believe they'd be a patch on the Orbs).

13. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen a review of these Orbs vs Gallos ? I would be very interested in the outcome

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I think that the Orb is fairly new and is a Gallo type speaker but sold direct by the manufacturer and therefore much cheaper.

There are one or two threads across the pond at AVS but it is mainly just the one guy that is talking about them.

15. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sulis, did you ever purchase ? I'm in a similar boat re costs of AGs, so would be most interested in the outcome.

Cheers Dave

16. Drew.Ri

Drew.Ri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sulis, did you ever make the purchase? If so, how do the Orbs sound? I am currently looking at buying a set and am looking for some positive feedback from Orb owners, especially any that have also listened to the Gallo Micros or A'divas or the Hsu VT-12s.

Am interested in any comments about your experience dealing with Orb and about the quality of the sound.

17. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Common" bought a couple & had a a good experience with the company. Best contacting him for views.

18. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not got them yet - still waiting for SWMBO to approve overall HC setup. I' think I'l leave it until after the Bristol show to plunge in, but I'm still pretty keen on them. Frankly, even if they don't quite work in the room, I can always use them as Kitchen/Computer speakers. I think it makes more sense to use a UK sub.