1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gallos and AVC-A1SE query

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by zAndy1, Dec 23, 2002.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,067
    I've got some Gallo micros hooked up to my AVC-A1SE (upgraded). I've set the crossover on the amp to 120hz as recommended. What happens though when I engage a THX mode on the amp which overrides the crossover and sets it to the THX 80Hz? I assume all of a sudden the amp will send the 80Hz - 120Hz frequencies to the speakers, slightly worrying as it's not recommended, is there any chance of damage because of this? Does this also apply to when the ext-in mode is used e.g. for SACD playback (in which case isn't the full range sent to the speakers?).

Cheers
    Andy.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Hi Andy

As you´ve said, THX mode will engage an 80hz crossover. Don´t think you´ll damage the speakers, its just that they won´t produce those frequencies.

Same with the External Input, you´ll get full range signals going to them unless your SACD player has any form of bass management.

This also applies to Direct & Pure Direct modes, both send full range signals to the front channels regardless of speaker setup (small/large).

As I said, I don´t think you´ll damage them, feel free to correct me anyone!:)

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,
    Jase is dead on. And no, sustained 80Hz won't do any damage at all.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,067
    Thanks Guys. Have to say it really does sound good, got a REL Q100E to back the micros up and they seem to gel well together. I've got the Q100E connected by high and low level inputs anyway so those lower than 120hz frequencies will be output by the sub anyway. Hopefully I'll get a good chance to watch some movies over Xmas, got a pile of DVDs waiting to be watched!

Merry Xmas,

Andy.