1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gallo Nucleus Installation

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Wilbur, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK.

So my Gallos have arrived, my cable is neatly in the walls and I bought some spade connectors that don't get in the way of the wall brackets (thanks Enigma!). It's time to get the micros up on their brackets and into prime listening position.

I am going to be attaching all of the brackets to plasterboard and was wondering what fixing methods everybody else has been using? The enclosed rawl plugs didn't seem like a great bet for my purposes (?) so I took a trip to B&Q. The strongest option woud appear to be screw in plasterboard specific rawl plugs - but - it's recommended that you only use the supplied screws. For one these won't go through the holes in the brackets and for 2 they are brass - not a nice compliment to my black brackets. I have found an alternative rawl plug designed for plasterboard but it only supports "light-weight" fixtures - then again, Gallos aren't that heavy...(?!?!)

Just wondering what others have used in this kind of situation - perhaps the rawl plugs that come with brackets will do the job (but it seems as though they're intended for a more solid wall to me...)

Suggestions please!!! My surrounds are currently balanced on an ironing board and window ledge!

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the sound of the way you currently have them set up!!:D :D

While solid as a cannonball the gallos don't weigh a ton, but don't use those standard rawl plugs for a plasterboard wall, they were intended for a solid masonary wall.
    As for plasterboard rawl plugs, you won't need the very strongest ones (the ones with the retractable metal arms), they are meant for holding up bathroom cabinets and really heavy stuff. Go for the medium ones (with the rubber bit that expands on the other side of the plasterboard as you tighten the screw) they should be more than enough.

As for the screws the only thing I can think of would be to paint the heads with matt black model paint after they are screwed in, and maybe drill out the holes on the brackets if they don't fit.

God I hate plasterboard walls, next place I move to will have to have solid walls or the deal is off!

Hope that helps.

3. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion - I think I know the plugs you mean, just to confirm though, is it necessary to drill out a hole for them first or do they screw into the wall directly?

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you need to drill the holes first

5. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi,

Not sure if I should just start a new thread here but hopefully Gallo owners will be reading ...

It's a question about speaker sizes when setting up the amp. The Gallos are best at 120Hz and up and on my amp 'small' speakers just get 80Hz and below filtered out. So for the left/right front speakers it makes sense to set the speakers to 'large' and route the output to the sub and let the sub filter 120Hz and up to the Gallos. But what about the center ? Unless the Gallo sub has 3 speaker inputs (I should probably RTFM at this point) aren't you going to get an 80Hz to 120Hz hole in the center of the soundstage ?

Cheers,
    Matt

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd be surprised if you can route anything other than just the front left/right speakers through the sub. So, theoretically you could have a hole in the frequency range as the centre/rears will be having a signal down to 80Hz sent to them. The thing is though, the Gallos will probably have some output at 80Hz it's just that it may be a few dB down on the output at 120Hz - whether you will notice this in practice is debatable - in other words, it will probably all sound fine - you'll just have to try it.

On the dry-lined walls issue, there is another option - drill through the plasterboard and right into the brickwork (assuming there is some behind there somewhere). Then, using screws that are of a suitable length, screw a normal raw-plug onto the end of the screw then hammer screw and rawplug straight through the plasterboard so that the rawplug goes into the hole you have made in the brickwork. This will give you a very solid connection for the brackets. All you have to do is make sure the screws are long enough and that you drill into the brickwork far enough so that the whole rawplug fits into it - you can use a piece of insulation tape on the drill bit to work out how deep to drill.

Matt.

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you should only be using the outputs on the sub for left and right if you are using them as a stereo set up, for multi-channel use your amp and set the speakers to small. With my amp set to small the Gallos are getting 100hz (marantz default) and above.

8. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the input - I think there will be a bit of a drop between 80 and 120hz (from D# to B in the 2nd and 3rd octave on a piano) using my amp so it could be noticable perhaps ? I've not actually bought the Gallos yet - I've already got some cool speaker stands for them though ...

Cheers,
    Matt

9. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what ones? I was going to get the Gallo Wallflower ones but if there are options?

10. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  11. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not a bad idea that as the Gallo ones are £130!! Sounds like the supplied Gallo cable would feed through the legs as it does on their own stands. Until I get the stands mine are sitting on top of the TV:D but the supplied isolation rings aren't great so I've used a bit a blu-tac underneath as well to isolate them from the TV's cabinet and hold them firmly in place.
    I'd recommend that for your stands as well.