1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gallo A'Diva speaker review.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tk2001, Apr 4, 2003.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Well, most of you on the forums we have no doubt heard of the infamous Nucleas Micro. Some have made negative comments regarding the way the Micro's sound but the majority of the people who own them seem to be very happy with them as expressed by their views in this forum. The A'Diva looks very similar to the Micro but is 1 inch bigger - an inch makes the A'Diva look bigger than you might think. Did I forget to mention that they are alot heavier than the Micros?.

I have 5 silver A'Diva's in total which forms up a 5.1 set-up in my living-room and I have been running them in for over 4 weeks now and at this present moment I've very happy with the way they sound.

One of the very first things I noticed about the A'Diva was that it sounded 'fuller' than the Micro whilst retaining the exceptionally clean and neutral sound of the Micro. This is probably achieved due to the lower frequency response of the A'Diva aswell as having a larger enclosure.

Sound dispersion is definitely wider than the Micro's and imaging seems to be slightly more precise.

When I watch DVD movies, I like to watch them LOUD - from a minimum of -10dB to 00dB when the family are out :laugh:

The A'Diva's are able to handle reference level with absolutely no problem what so ever and with absolutely no hint of distortion.
    In fact, at reference level, the A'Diva actually sound slightly more composed and controlled than the Micro. This is probably due to the A'Diva being in a bigger enclosure.

With wider dispersion and slightly better imaging, this means that the A'Divas are slightly better with music in stereo or even better 'Pure Direct' than the Micros.

My conclusion is that if anyone is looking for speakers that are relatively small but more importantly is able to produce an exceptionally neutral, full, wide dispersion and well composed sound whilst maintaining very clean with no distortion even at reference levels then give the A'Divas a try.

The Nucleas Micro are very good speakers for the money. The A'Diva's are even better and is definitely worth the extra, especially at Eric's powerbuy prices.

I am more than happy to answer any questions regarding the A'Diva.

2. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Nice review TK...though the misses would kill me if i got rid of the Micros for something larger now. That said, i am thinking about adding one for front centre work, due you still think it would work timbre wise with the Micros, given the fuller sound you describe. Not sure whether to go this route or to wait for Uncle E to do the Due...which i'm guessing would be closer in sonic terms to the Micro....decisions...decisions.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    At the Bristol show, Gallo had a four Micros with an A'Diva centre and it sounded very good indeed

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would second that as I'm using an A'Diva for Centre duties in a Nucleus Micro setup. There doesn't seem to much variation in timbre between the front three as the A'Diva is using a very similar driver to the Micro, albeit in a larger enclosure.

5. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Cheers for that...did they have the Due's at Bristol? If so any comments...a bout of tonsillitis put pay to my show plans.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    They were using the Due's in a different room and I listened to them for quite a while reproducing the Hotel California DVD.

They are good, even excellent speakers but the prices put them into a very competitive area and I can't help recalling leaving the room and listening to the little Leema speakers at about the same price and immediately forgetting about everything else I had heard that day.

7. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Thanks again, i'll wait and see if the Due's get a powerbuy, then try and doorstep Uncle Eric...

8. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also had a demo with the A'Diva as the centre and movie dialogue appeared to sound clearer. Our house has its lounge on the 1st floor with a balcony overlooking the ground floor (kitchen/dining area). Not sure how the Micro's will sound with the house design like this and so currently considering whether I may need more oomph which 5 silver A'Divas would provide (at an extra £300 unfortunately). Shame they're not available in the full Micro colour range but then again that's one less decision I or more appropriately the future wife has to make.

Lawrence

9. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Ian J, when listening to the Gallo Due's at the show, how would you say they compared to the Micro/A'Diva set-up?

Don't worry, I asking purely out of curiosity and I have no intention of upgrading my current set-up for at least another 3-5 years.:) ......Well thats the plan any way lol.

10. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Leema Xens Ian was talking about really are good speakers.

I've heard them 3 times now and i think they're great.

Plus, for all you 'under-the-thumbers' out there, even the ball & chain wouldn't nag on about the size factor (well speakers anyway!!!!!!)

Adzman

11. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian Re: The Leema Xens - I thought they cost £1000 each as opposed to the £500 each price tag of the Dues.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    £950 per pair if I remember rightly

13. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent. In that case they may be my next upgrade in about 2005ish.:rolleyes: Problem is I've never actually seen them on sale anywhere - everyone I've evcer talked to about them (which is errrr one person) has said "you must hear these speakers". Fine, but where?

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I mentioned to them at the Bristol show that I would have have bought a pair last year if I could have found some but ended up buying M&K instead.

Hopefully by 2005 they may have sorted out their distribution and marketing :D

15. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Interested in any comments comparing the Dues/Leema's with Proac's Hexa's, if these were at the show.
    The cinema room in my new gaff is about half the size of the old one...and the 753s i have aren't working well...so looking for some small sats.