Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Gale HT405.1 any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bren, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Bren

Bren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Going to be connected to a Yamaha 640.Are these any good?

2. Jive

Jive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too was looking at getting these, but I'll be hooking them up to the Marantz SR4400 amp.

Could anyone let me know whether these combined with the amp will be any good?

3. Jive

Jive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one has any opinions on these speakers?

:(

4. Jive

Jive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bren, if your reading this, did you buy them in the end?

I finally got mine setup at the weekend just gone, with the Marantz amp, mate came over with his Coldplay Live DVD and considering the two front L & R speakers were sat on the floor, the two rears were sat at different height, the sound was bloody fantastic, even my other half was impressed.

All I need to do now is get the speakers fitted up on the walls :)

5. MrRalphMan

MrRalphMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jive,

Did you every get the speakers on the wall?
    What fixings did you use and are you still impressed by them?

Paul.

6. aimellie

aimellie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jive - Got exactly the same amp and sub/sats.
    Made my mind up on the tannoy fx5.1 and a yamaha rx640v, walked into my local RS and got totally talked out of it and left with the marantz sr4400 and gale ht405.1,saved a few quid but did i do the right thing?
    I am pleased with the sound (my old system was a dated pro-log amp)so anything new was going to be an improvement.In the back of my mind though i still think the yamaha would have been better.
    I am o.k with the marantz and sats but it does not really impress me in the stereo music cd mode.Slap in a DVD and crank it up and you cannot help but be impressed.
    Been getting trouble with the bass in CD,cannot get any oomph from the bass mix, either in the mix mode or from lfe.From what i can understand the crossover is set at 100hz and not the standard and better performing 80hz.
    Any ideas??
    The sats are wall mounted with the brackets supplied, i have been thinking of changing to stands.
    LMK - Matt

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Tannoy are an independent company who's products are available through a range of dealers whilst Gale is part of the same group as Richer Sounds and their products are only available from them in the UK.

I have no idea about the comparative value for money of both systems but it does appear to be company policy to try and sell customers their own range of products if they can.

I assume that you didn't listen to both systems prior to purchase

8. MrRalphMan

MrRalphMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aimellie,

I assume that you are happy with the sound in movies (The only time I'm really going top be using the Surround amp and Gale speakers.

Paul.

9. aimellie

aimellie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian J

Thanks for the info, makes sense selling own products.Not that I begrudge them, i have dealt with them in the past and yes i have been pleased, they always seem to know what they are on about.
    and
    No stupidly I did not ask for a demo on both systems,being relatively knew to the world of A.V i have always understood marantz to be a respected name and i just went with it.
    It sounds as though i am really unhappy with my purchase, farther from the truth, my only gripe is the quality of playback listening to conventional cds.

thanks anyway

Matt

10. aimellie

aimellie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr RalphMan

Totally blown away and very happy in DTS or 5.1 sound, still playing with the positioning of the sats and sub.Got quite a large room and i am struggling with the placement.
    Adjusted the db levels to a

zero setting with a db meter, got it spot on but listening at loud levels means -16 on the master volume, cannot go any higher or i get a timely whack on the wall from next door.ha!
    But this is still loud enough to enjoy.

The only time I'm really going top be using the Surround amp and Gale speakers.

I take it you meant the only time going to be using, and yeah i think youre right - keep it for movies only.

Matt

11. MrRalphMan

MrRalphMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Matt,

Thanks for pointing that out :blush: I went to the local RS to work Liverpool street and asked about the gale speakers.

They had them in stock, but were really pushing the TannoyFX5.1's, I don't like that sort of sale, so left.

They also said that the speakers did not come with wall brackets (either set). Is this the case.

Paul.