1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gale GS-401A Speakers (one for the oldies)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chips, Jul 24, 2002.

1. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have a pair of these which I bought in the early 70s. Chrome end caps.

Is this the same Gale who now make budget speakers? The GS-401A's were very expensive and sounded excellent back then. I used to drive them with an HK930, in fact it's still in the loft.

How would these speakers compare with modern high end stereo units?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pair on eBay not too long ago, IIRC. Prob be nice if no driver-rot and x-over is tip-top. Good Hi-Fi will always be just that but I've no first hand knowledge of these. I recall the all-metal cabinetted Gales of the 80's and they were reviewed well. The Gale of today is yet another Richer Sounds re-branding exercise, prob from the same factory as their "JPW" speakers with a different badge put on at the end of the conveyor belt.

Mike.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that they are American and were expensive. Gale is a Richer Sounds trade name and their speakers were made in the same OEM Plymouth factory that also made JPW and a few others.

The Richer Gale had quite a good budget floorstander seven or eight years ago which What Hifi gave five stars.

In response to the original question, try a search on the forum as I recall someone ,mentioning that he had a pair of USA Gales a few months ago.

4. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I'm pretty sure that they are british but will have a look tonight to see if it says anything on the label.

I think they made two models at the time GS-401A black with chrome endcaps and GS-401B in conventional wood.

Perhaps it is the same company, got into trouble and bought by RS.

I bought mine from a local Hi-Fi shop who had them in stock but could not sell them due to the price. Can't remember how much I paid but I think retail price in 1973/4 was about £1,000. Hi-Fi was really expensive in relative terms back then.

I had new drivers fitted some years ago but have not used them since.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My memory isn't as bad as I thought.

6. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hmmm, this is puzzling!

Mine are:- (from label on back)

Gale GS401A, Made in England - Impedence 4-8 Ohms - Power Handling 100 Watts Speech & Music. Size 13"H x 24"W x 11"D and very heavy 20-30KG.

I got the year wrong, callibration label dated 4/2/75.

2 x 8" drivers, 1 x midrange driver, 1 x tweeter. With midband and treble crossover adjustment pots on back and 3A fuse.

Serial No. 0001346.

Sound like the same as Technosys's but made in England.

http://www.sundial.net/~rogerr/magrevsr.htm (April 1979)

7. Panther5

Panther5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased my GS401A's in the mid 1970's (drivers & crossovers since refurbished) and still love their sound. Mine were definitely British made, though they were also assembled in other countries under license (including New Zealand where I live). In the early days they were relatively expensive and even delivered to some London retailers in a Rolls (pretty cool).

These speakers thrive on clean power (200 w/RMS minimum). Crossover adjustments and fuse connections are a weak point but when working well these speakers still sound good. Anyone who has a pair in the attic should dust them off and take a fresh listen teamed with a good amp.

8. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Yes, they are from the days when Gale was it's own company, and came from the similar era to the stunning GT2101 turntable (piccy attached).

I have a pair of chrome-ended 401's sat behind me on the floor in the office here and they are truly gorgeous!

Sadly, i can't comment on their performance against more modern speakers as they sound terrible and need woofer repairs or transplants, which i hope to get round to some time in the not-too-distant future!

Attached Files:

9. grandslamms

grandslamms
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this Thread !
    We have a pair of Gale 401A - 1979 and certainly made in England.
    We have rewired them using Oxy-Free Cable, Bypassed the Crossovers and replaced the Drive Units (Wilmslow Audio).

They still sound really excellent, but need a clean, powerful Amp. They don't image very precisely, but have a large soundstage and full Bass. Overall, they are lovely to live with and able to fill a large room, excelling on large scale orchestral and driving Rock alike.

They've benefitted massively from High End Amplification......used them for years in the '80s with Meridian 105s Monoblocks, satisfactorily, but when driven by our Krell FPB400 they really 'came alive'.
    They don't compare too well with current High End - we have 'Wison System 5.1' in the system now, and the 'Wilson X1 Grandslamms' in the main Music Room are in another world.....!!!!

Yet, we love our Gales and can't see ourselves ever parting with them !

Caron.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  10. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,338
    I am still running a pair of Gale 301's that I have as my main fronts in my home cinema room.I have owned them since new in the late 1970's.

I had new woofers put in them about 4 yrs ago by Wilmslow audio for £100 and they are as good as new.

Considering these speakers are nearly 30 yrs old I am still more than pleased with their sound and they can still show the newer speakers I have in my other system a clean pair of heels.

11. emmaco

emmaco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's lots of information on the Gale Speakers at:

Gale Audio | Google Groups

Includes components, history, models, schematic, turntable, LP's etc. Both of Ira Gale's siblings are members.