Gale 401's suitable centre/rear match

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by teknosys, Nov 26, 2001.

1. teknosys

teknosys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am generally upgrading, I think? new arcam avr200/dv88.I have very old Gale 401's,are they still good enough? if yes can anyone sugest suitable centre/rearset up.
    regards eddie

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would have thought that the Gale's would be a weak link in an Arcam system but you could always try it and see.

From memory the speakers are about four years old and were excellent budget speakers at the time. Finding a tonal match might be a problem now and a second hand Gale centre might be your best bet although voice matching is not so important for rears.

From memory (and at my age it begins to fail) Gale speakers were actually made by an OEM outfit in Plymouth who also made JPW and Revolver speakers amongst others. The JPW speakers looked remarkably similar and probably sounded similar as well.

Having said all of that you will be using electronics of a far better calibre and it would be a shame to waste it on budget speakers.

Regards

Ian

3. teknosys

teknosys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Gale 401s I have are over 15 years old !
    Made in the USA . A large inclosure with 2x8in bass/1xmid/1xhigh
    ring any bells? regards Eddie

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry Eddie but even as one of the older members of this forum I haven't come across these. The Gale speakers that I know of are manufactured under licence for Richer Sounds and they had a rather nice floorstander four years ago that What Hifi rated as five star and I am sure that it had a four in the number. I thought that these were what you were talking about.

The mags will always tell you that this year's model is better than last but that is not always the case. About 20 years ago I bought a pair of Rogers LS3 5A BBC Monitors which were brilliant in their time but I gave them to my son about ten years ago as I was "upgrading" to something newer.

Stupidest thing that I ever did as they are still excellent speakers.

If you are buying new Arcam kit you can try it out and decide for yourself whether they match well but if you are buying from a shop why not have a listen to some speakers in your price range and compare to your own set up.

The only other way I can think of to buy a matching centre speaker for something that probably no-one has heard of is to lug one of your speakers down to your local friendly dealer and try to find a match.

Regards

Ian