Galaxy tabs as remote controls.

philipb

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know the iPad can be used as a remote control, but I can't find out whether or not any or all of the Samsung Galaxy tabs can be.

And if so, can they (or the iPad) replicate the Harmony ability to run activities using multiple devices?

Many thanks for any help.

Thanks guys.

I was aware that I'd need an app to do the job, but wasn't sure about the ability of a tablet to send IR signals. I'm torn between the Tab 2 7" - better for use as a remote - and the larger screens which would be better for general useage but maybe a bit cumbersome as a remote.

The app you linked to Joe uses the Wifi on the tablet - so presumably additional hardware would be needed to turn that into an IR signal that my kit could understand?

I think it's time i invested in a tablet but it'll need to do extra tasks to justify the outlay.

I'm also intending to go the Android route, since I prefer them to Ipad. I will use CommandFusion software, but it's not released yet (it's in Beta test).

I know what you mean about the 7" tablets - I think they are the best size for remote control, but I think I'd be frustrated if I tried to use them for general browsing etc. So I've settled on the Asus Infinity - released in the UK at the end of August.

It seems weird to me, to use one of these things, that are made for other purposes, for controlling AV equipment.
There are plenty of universal remote controls that are made precisely for that purpose.

It seems weird to me, to use one of these things, that are made for other purposes, for controlling AV equipment.
There are plenty of universal remote controls that are made precisely for that purpose.

I partly agree. I like my TSU9600s - and if they were still made I wouldn't change. But I don't think there are many that have the same power and flexibility as that does - at a reasonable cost (assuming we consider the cost of TSU9600 + extender reasonable, which many people won't).

The CommandFusion option allows Javascript - which I use a lot in my TSU - and I definitely want. Having had a 9600, I don't think a generic one for all - even the harmony's - would be enough for me.

I was going to start a thread to see what other people think, but this thread is already on a similar track....

I'm also intending to go the Android route, since I prefer them to Ipad. I will use CommandFusion software, but it's not released yet (it's in Beta test).

I know what you mean about the 7" tablets - I think they are the best size for remote control, but I think I'd be frustrated if I tried to use them for general browsing etc. So I've settled on the Asus Infinity - released in the UK at the end of August.

I too will be using iViewer for Android. I was also considering the Asus Infinity, but have been wondering if it would be better to buy a 7" Tablet to use as a dedicated Remote and then a larger Tablet for everything else.

Originally I was planning on buying a 9.7" or 10.1" Tablet as a Remote, which would sit on table-top stand beside me and not have to be picked up very often. Unfortunately (on all devices) a hard button has to be pressed to wake up the screen. Depending on the placement of the button and the necessary pressure needed to press it, most devices will need two hands - unless you want to watch it jump off the stand and bounce across the room.

So as it will probably be more of a pick up to use type of affair, I'm thinking that a 7" Tablet is probably going to be more suitable. It's easy to get carried away and expect bigger to be better, but considering the size of the more popular multi-function touch-screen remotes (Pronto, Harmony) is a 7" Tablet going to be the most sensible choice?

The whole idea of using one of these things as a remote doesn't seem sensible to me.
The much smaller Harmony 1100 is impractical and really has only the wow factor going for it, and the same would apply to these things only more so.

The whole idea of using one of these things as a remote doesn't seem sensible to me.
The much smaller Harmony 1100 is impractical and really has only the wow factor going for it, and the same would apply to these things only more so.

Well we don't all have the same opinion. Maybe you don't fully understand what can be achieved with it.

You've made your views very clear - we don't need to hear them again.

I'm not aware of a Harmony remote which can play music and video, surf the web, send and receive e-mails, mount in the car and function as a satnav, function as a diary, write documents, etc etc. People buy tablets for a whole raft of reasons - their very versatility is their main attraction. Using them as a remote control just adds to their usefulness.

Thanks to BlueFalcon, Joe and Dave 964 for helpful posts.

BlueFalcon

I plumped in the end for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7". Given that the tablet would be carried around, used in the car etc then the smaller screen is more practical.

It was a close call between the Tab2 and the new Nexus 7 but in the end the expandable memory of the Samsung won out over the Nexus which is better for gaming.

The Tab 2 8 Gb is selling for ÂŁ199 with ÂŁ30 cashback making it the same as the Nexus.

Had the Tab 2 since Sunday and still learning all its tricks. Downloaded and installed the free Google Navigation app for satnav - works perfectly. Overall very happy with my choice.

I think for a general use Tablet, I'll be sticking to a popular and well supported model - as I'll be doing a whole lot more with it and will want to keep it updated (probably with custom ROMs). But I don't think all of that is so important for a Remote only, so I'm trying to work out if something like a Ployer Momo7 Bird at ÂŁ95 is going to be good enough. At half the price of a Nexus 7, although with a slower processor and lower resolution screen, it's tempting to give it a try.

On that last point I don't see any of these things being as friendly to anyone as a normal one-handed point-at-the-TV-press-the-button remote control.:confused:

The Samsung Galaxy tablets have an IR port in the USA. Not in Europe... which is a weird omission. It's a pity because control over bluetooth or wifi is sluggish.

The only other one I've found that has such a port is the new Sony Xperia Tablet S (well, the old one already had it, but best to wait for the "S", it comes in november).

Thanks, just begun reading about iRule vs DemoPad, unfortunately DemoPad is iOS only so that might sway the choice of Christmas present! Thing is it does start to get pricey when you need something to convert Bluetooth or IP to IR, plus software. If you already have the tablet the i guess it's not too bad, still ÂŁ150 for a 7" Galaxy Tab 2 vcs ÂŁ350 for an iPad is a massive difference!

Consider carefully what will you do with your tablet before committing to a 7" or a 10", it's easy to be disappointed :)

For instance, if you intend to work a bit with it (or, generally to input text), 7" is not enough. When you put a 10" in landscape mode you'll see that it's as wide as the central part of a normal keyboard (Q to "enter"), so you can type very easily. I found as well that if you'd like to watch movies (or series, or youtube...) comfortably, say, in your bed, 7" is too small, but 10" is just great. But if you want to use it as an e-reader, 10" is too big and heavy, 7" is great for that (though a tablet's screen can be tiring, it doesn't come near in term of comfort to a kindle).

Tough choice !

No choice for me. I'd never watch TV on anything smaller than a 42" screen.

My comment was to Albedo - his post read as if he is watching on one of these things.
Tablets are things that you take when you're ill - why are these called that?:confused:

Who told you that!? :rotfl:

Trials and errors. 10" 50 cm from the eyes is not very different than 42" 3-4m away. 7" is just uncomfortably small... well, at least I felt that way.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom