1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Galaxy Quest DD or DTS

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Timh, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I'm about to get my second dvd player, the sony 335, dts is going to be a first for me,I have already ordered Saving Private Ryan DTS [​IMG], but would like to know which Galaxy Quest to buy? Dolby Digital or DTS.
    Have you compared the two? If not what do you think of the DTS soundtrack?

Cheer's
    Tim

------------------
    Somebody's poisoned the waterhole.

2. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yeah, I've compared the two versions. I was originaly sent the DD version by mistake so I watched it, sold it, and then bought the DTS version. As always the DTS version blows the DD version away, most noticibly the LFE which is much 'tighter' giving more of a punch to the bass.

DTS Galaxy Quest is an absolute cracker and MUST be cranked - warn your neighbours and enjoy. [​IMG]

By the way please check my review at the address below. [​IMG]

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Cheers Tee
    That's good enough for me, I'm off to your site now to read your review.

Tim

------------------
    Somebody's poisoned the waterhole.

4. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    This was a really good sounding film in the cinema, I saw it twice there. I bought the DD DVD and was disappointed in the audio. I bought the DTS version. I thought it sounded as mediocre as the DD version. I gave the DD disc to my nephew because he can't play DTS. I think it's a wash on this title. The film didn't make big money at the box office. I don't think too much care was put into the home video release because it wasn't projected as a big money maker either. My advice is buy which ever version you can get cheaper. There is nearly no difference. Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

5. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think the DTS has a pretty good soundtrack. Bass, as Tee says is very tight and controlled and overall it's very clear and crisp. I was very impressed when I got mine.
    The DTS version shouldn't be any more expensive, so I'd buy it. You won't be disappointed. Unless your names Gary Rydstrom (which I don't think it is).

------------------
    "Run! Go! Get to the Choppa!"

My HC Website - Under Construction

6. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Ive got the DTS version and its one of the best sounding discs ive got.The rears are alive with action.Some films just dont use the rear channels very well at all.Final Destination i found to be quite dead in the rear departement ive seen this at the Cinema and on NTSC DVD.

7. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 versions? My disc proclaims DTS & DD 5.1 on the same disc? I haven't actually tried to play the DD 5.1 yet, so maybe the cover's wrong & it's only DS.

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has a look at cover.........yeah it does seem to imply that there are both 5.1 formats on their dosn't it ??

Just tried it to be sure and ...no, it has a DD 2.0 soundtrack and a DTS 5.1 version.....no DD 5.1

The DTS version does sound great though. If I was buying it now I would def choose the DTS version. I bought it blindly (never seen the movie and not heard if the DTS version was any good), but after borrowing a friends DD 5.1 version and doing a back to back I am glad I bought the DTS version.

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

http://www.ypcc.co.uk