Galaxy Note battery issue

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by poppitypop, Aug 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. poppitypop

poppitypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    This is a new Galaxy Note about 1mo old.
    I am running the Go Launcher as opposed to the Samsung Launcher. Phone is not rooted or anything done to it. Have also updated to ICS.

The battery life is terrible. From reading around samsung say standby time is 40 days with the average being 21 days (according to one site).

Go power master on the phone is reporting standby time of 143 hrs (approx 5 days).

I don't have a problem with either figure but I am not even getting that. Overnight in 12 hours I have lost a bit over 45% of battery whilst in standby and this while it was in flight mode with no connection chips active.

My brightness is at almost the lowest it can go - about 2%.

I don't know what is up with it, I am certain this is not normal.

I don't have many apps on this phone, the usual BBC player, news and so on and the only thing I think can cause this battery drain is possibly WEBROOT antivirus. Could this be the cause? If this is the cause is there a free antivirus which doesn't suck the life out of a phone please? :thumbsdow

2. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,346
    These modern smartphones you expect to charge it everyday in any case.
    If you are a very low user may be once every two days.

Regarding antivirus - I don't anyone who has any installed. Do you need it?
    If it is always running it must using some battery life.
    You should be able to see on th battery usage settings which app is using what. Mostly it should be the Android Operating Software itself

3. poppitypop

poppitypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hi Dr No, Yes I would expected to charge a phone every day but its definitely not right to lose over 45% of battery overnight whilst in standby.

The anitivirus I want to use - I got a virus within two days of getting the phone so I really don't want to take any chances. :)

The battery monitor reckoned 80% was being used by GPRS which I am confused about as flight mode is enabled and so the GPRS should not be running.

4. poppitypop

poppitypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Just an update, doing a search this seems to be a bug with ICS in not allowing the phone to sleep even though it looks asleep. but the CPU is actually constant.

The temporary fix for this until theres an update is to remove the battery, hold it in hand for 1 minute (to discharge?) and then put battery back in again. Im pleased to say this temporary fix has worked and I am still on 100% after two hours standby.

5. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,346
    Glad you've got this fixed :)