Galaga

dave1de

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well, Galaga is out tomorrow.

Heres a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHXD4NNe3c4&search=galaga xbox

Heres the achievments: http://xbox360achievements.org/content/view/250

Im sure this game, like frogger, will be the cause of some very very frustrated 360 owners. I mean if gameplay is anything like that video, just getting the level 10 achievment will be impossible :eek: (for me anyway)

And if you want some practice, heres an online version of it: http://www.smiliegames.com/galaga/index.php3

Of course the sound is annoying.......it's Galaga.....

it's only annoying when your not playing it.........lol

you obviously aren't into your retro games that much.....

brings back some memories does that...

Bob

I think the border looks pretty smart...just like the real artwork on the original arcade cab...

nice (hi def)

Bob

rmount76 said:
Of course the sound is annoying.......it's Galaga.....

it's only annoying when your not playing it.........lol

you obviously aren't into your retro games that much.....

brings back some memories does that...

Bob
I love retro gaming,just not crap retro games :rotfl:

In my opinion of course! :D

Galaga 88' would av been better...

only my opinion of course.....lol

damn the fact that we all have to work.......:(0

can't wait to get home now...lol

Some people have 200/200 in this already. Amazing.

I think it comes from the fact that you can get the achievements regardless of difficulty, and also you can restart a new game from the last level you got to, rather than having to start from the beginning with every new game. Kind of defeates the purpose of Galaga imo :mad:

I'll be downloading it now :)

TheBiGW said:

I think it comes from the fact that you can get the achievements regardless of difficulty, and also you can restart a new game from the last level you got to, rather than having to start from the beginning with every new game. Kind of defeates the purpose of Galaga imo :mad:
I agree.

TheBiGW said:

You can continue and still get the achievements?!!!!! That's shocking. :eek: I got my 200 points through legitimate means on my first game. Number 1 on the leaderboard just now too. Oh yes, I've played it before. :D :cool:

Actually I lied, I only got 195 on my first game, then realised that you have to kill one of your captured fighters to get the other 5. Started a new game just to get that on the first level.

Well i just got a load of achievments in my first game, in about 5 mins. 4 so far, or though it looks as if its not showing up on my gamercard yet.

To be honest, this is stupidly easy when you can continue, if I wanted to im sure I could go get those 200 now, but I want to atleast eak it out a bit and get a bit more value for money

dave1de said:
To be honest, this is stupidly easy when you can continue, if I wanted to im sure I could go get those 200 now, but I want to atleast eak it out a bit and get a bit more value for money
The value for money with a game like this surely isn't in the achievements though? For me it's about that constant quest for the high score. The only problem with that is that I suspect it'll be like Frogger where the score clocks and so there is a potential maximum that can be had on the high score table. With Galaga the maximum should be 999,990 as that's the maximum that could ever be shown on the arcade machine high score table.

slinkywonka said:
I love retro gaming,just not crap retro games :rotfl:

In my opinion of course! :D

:rotfl: You are seriously having a laugh. Galaga stands head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to vertical wave shooters like this. It is an absolute classic. You will struggle to find a better liked retro game than Galaga. :rolleyes:

Just tried the demo, won't be buying it. All that side bar arcade artwork looks like a plasma wrecker to me. I have a 42" pany px60 and have seen image retention a few times with some games, mostly with moto gp, that static artwork on galaga has very high contrast in places.

kevlar said:
Just tried the demo, won't be buying it. All that side bar arcade artwork looks like a plasma wrecker to me. I have a 42" pany px60 and have seen image retention a few times with some games, mostly with moto gp, that static artwork on galaga has very high contrast in places.
You've got Geometry Wars though, which has some quite bright fonts that are stuck in place for the whole time the game is running. Have you not had any problems with this game? I can see why it's a worry but I'm sure it would be fine in short bursts. I certainly wouldn't bother about the odd hour with it on my plasma.

This is a definate purchase - my fave space invader game - GET IN!

Actually, I haven't even played Geo Wars since I had the plasma. The 360 dashboard is the worst culprit, if I leave it on the screen for 5 or 10 minute then play a game I can still see the blades for a few seconds. Don't get me wrong, I haven't had any image retention for more than 10 or 20 seconds so far ( touch wood ), I'm just being carefull. I don't want to start a plasma debate but in my opinion we have all, once again, been conned into a technology which isn't actually suitable for the job. My plasma is highly regarded, it's no cheap old generation model, yet it seems prone to image retention and the dreaded green blur on fast moving high contrast images. Setting have been adjusted as recommended before anyone asks.

kevlar said:
Setting have been adjusted as recommended before anyone asks.
Was going to ask just that. :D Strange that you're having such trouble with your Panny, they are quite well regarded, especially with respect to image retention. Is it still quite new and being run in? Haven't seen any retention on my Hitachi plasma since it was brand new and I played Joust for half an hour. Seems fine now.

Had it about 4 months, well run in by now. Regarding the green blur there has been a lot written about it and basically it seems they all have it, it's just down to the individual wether you see it or not. If you want to read about it look at this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326067 , you will see some posts by me with video clips.

CAS FAN said:
:rotfl: You are seriously having a laugh. Galaga stands head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to vertical wave shooters like this. It is an absolute classic. You will struggle to find a better liked retro game than Galaga. :rolleyes:

Was always more partial to Moon Cresta and Phoenix. Gorf would be cool too.

Laura said:
Was always more partial to Moon Cresta and Phoenix. Gorf would be cool too.
The docking was a cool idea in Moon Cresta but I always found the game a little boring. Phoenix was good though, as was Gorf. Not a patch on Galaga though :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom