1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gainward graphics card problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Greg Hook, May 17, 2005.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,344
    Hi

Just got a Gainward 6600GT AGP graphics card and can't get it to work.

When I get to windows the resolution is really crappy and in very low colour (4 i think). In control panel, the graphics card is reporting this error:

Code 12
    This device cannot find any free type resources to use. (Code 12)

It's just a straight swap from another AGP card (which I have put back in) so don't understand why it doesn't work.

I have tried several different sets of drivers but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Greg

2. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I assume it boots OK and you can see everything? First thing is uninstall everything. Then boot in safe mode and run "driver cleaner".

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Then go to the control panel and delete any display adapters showing, reboot.

Install latest Nvidia 71.89.

If there is still a problem what does it say in the control panel display adapter resources box for irq?

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,344
    It does boot OK, although very slow. Once the windows splash screen has gone, I get a black screen for a short time and then I get onto the desktop. I can see everything but it's in the most basic mode. In the settings menu, right clicking from the desktop, the graphics adaptor is just called a VGA Save and won't let me change any settings for resolution, colour etc.

I will try this tonight, currently have my previous graphics card installed which works fine.

So just to clarify, took me ages getting the old one working again, so i want to make sure the new one works this time!

With my old graphics card in, I should uninstall the Nvidia drivers then boot in safe mode and then run driver cleaner.

Remove the old adaptor from the control panel, reboot (still in safe mode or back to normal??) and install the new nvidia drivers.

When in this stage do I put the new graphics card in?

Thanks for all your help :thumbsup:
    Greg

4. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Well uninstall old drivers do a clean if you must or check registry,turn off pc, remove old card then install new one [check its seated right and any extra power connector is attached if needed] then fire her up. I usually ignore new hardware detected message and then install latest driver for card , next shut down and re-boot now you can go to control panel /display adapter and change resolution and refresh rate etc.
    I don't know the power supply you have for your m/c but some cards can be demanding if its less than say 380w i would get another.
    Hope this helps

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,344
    Hi

Thanks for the reply. My PSU is a 450.

6. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If you can see the display during boot up, its likely not the card. It sounds like a resource or driver issue. The idea is to remove any drivers or system resource assigned to the old card. Forcing windows to reassign irq's etc. Remove all drivers, delete the old card in the device manager. Put the new card in, reboot. Does it say new device detected? Just hit cancel for any drivers at that point. What does the device manager say now, is an irq assigned? If it does, run the forceware install, reboot. It should then detect the correct drivers.

You say its booting slowly? The other thing to check is the bios settings, things like:

first graphics device is AGP,
    irq assigned to AGP,
    automatically assigned system resources.

7. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Should be more than enough for a 6600GT, don't forget the extra molex connector, although you should get a warning if its not connected.

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,344
    Thanks mrmoo for all your help.

I will try this later and see what happens.

9. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,344
    :mad: Well that didn't go to plan, bloody computers :mad:

I uninstalled the drivers, disabled the old card in the control panel, tried to restart in safe mode to run the driver cleaner software and it stopped just after loading agp440.sys (or something similar)

Tried in normal mode, windows loaded, left with a black screen and no desktop. Could hear windows continue to load in background but still black screen.

Tried fitting new graphics card, loaded windows up, got black screen.

Tried safe mode, stopped at same position as before.

Tried last known good configuration on both cards, loaded but still get black screen. Tried safe mode, normal, etc etc on both cards. Safe mode always stops at the same place, and all the other modes load windows but just leave me with a black screen.

So now I am left with no computer at all. :mad: Why can't things ever be simple. :suicide:

Any ideas how I can get back into the desktop, to do a system restore etc. Or just get it working again :lease:

Thanks
    Greg

10. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Try this first, booting to the command prompt and running restore.

"When booting your computer, press F8 to bring up a boot menu
    Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    Select the operating system to start (if you have multiple operating systems installed)
    Log on with an account that is a member of the administrators group
    At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    Press Enter
    This will start the "Welcome to System Restore" screen. Go through the steps of the Wizard and follow the instructions to restore your system to a previous restore point"

If that doesn't work, I hate to say it, but I think your going to need to reinstall the OS. It sounds like your missing system files; I'd bet it’s the same reason the card wouldn't run earlier. If you can't successfully boot to safe mode, the next place to go is the recovery console from the installation boot disk. I'd look for disk corruption to begin with and check the system files are all in place. If all else fails, reinstalling windows can recover the previous installation and repair the missing files. You may well loose email logs etc.

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/RecoveringXP.htm

11. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,344
    Thanks for your continuing help.

Tried the safe mode with command prompt but it just stops after loading the file system32/drivers/agp440.sys

Once it has frozen, if I press the enter key it restarts.

Any ideas? (it's looking like a reinstall to me!!)

Cheers
    Greg

12. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    From Microsoft:

To resolve this issue, disable the Agp440.sys service:

IMPORTANT: You must know the administrator password to complete the following procedure. If you do not know the administrator password, contact your system administrator. After you complete this procedure, any video adapter driver you have installed will be disabled, and Windows XP will use default VGA drivers.

1. Insert the Windows XP installation CD-ROM, and then restart your computer.
    2. When the computer starts, press F12.
    3. Start your computer from CD-ROM, and make sure that you select the drive that contains the Windows XP installation CD-ROM.
    4. In the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, select R for repair, and then press ENTER.
    5. Select the installation number for the problem installation.
    6. Type the password for the administrator account of that installation, and then press ENTER. You receive a drive:WINDOWS> prompt, where drive is the drive on which Windows XP is installed.
    7. Type listsvc, and then press ENTER.
    8. Make sure that the Agp440 service is listed, and that the startup type is set to "Boot".
    9. Press ESC.
    10. Type disable agp440, and then press ENTER.
    11. You receive a message that the registry setting for this service was found, and that its current startup state is "service_disabled".
    12. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
    13. If you are prompted to start in Safe mode or Normal mode, start in Normal mode.
    14. Log on to your computer.

Good luck

13. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,344
    Thanks so much for all your help mrmoo but my PC is having none of it.

The computer guy we use at work is coming in tomorrow and will fit me a new hard drive and a fresh install of windows together with the new graphics card and then just leave the old hard drive as a slave so my files, emails etc are still intact.

Thanks again.
    Greg

14. tomsky

tomsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    try clearing the bios sometimes this can help as you are changing the hardware configuration of the pc, it happened to me when i tried to install a new hdd i tried everything and the pc would not have any go 4 hours of messin about, :( until i cleared the bios and bingo the bloody thing worked :eek: lol,hey give it a try :smashin:
    cheers tom

15. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,344
    Got bigger problems than that now. Bloody computers. My windows didn't like the new card at all, it totally screwed windows up.

My computer guy put in a new hard drive, to save losing all my data, and did a complete fresh install of windows. The new graphics card had exactly the same problem as in my first post. So reverted back to my older graphics card. Everything was fine, loaded everything, drivers etc and took the PC home. I hadn't turned it on since taking it home for about a week because of illness, tried it and got nothing, the PC started with loads of gobbledegook on the screen and wouldn't load to windows. The computer guy tested the card and it somehow knackered itself. But the good news is that it's still under warranty and he's getting a replacement next week.

He is also currently testing the new Gainward card I got to see if it works in other PCs or if it's just knackered aswell.

Greg