1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gainward GOES LIKE HELL 6800gt

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tim k, Mar 30, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a very stressfull day i got home to find in my inbox an email from a hong kong ebayer saying the 6800 ultra i bidded won and paid for would now incur extra postage charges, these were not stated well in the add, and i demanded a full refund, this lead me to look at alternatives, and found a uk oem 6800 gt glh item on ebay ending in an hour, after some ruthless bidding in the last minute (why is it people come from nowhere at 43 seconds!!) and managed to secure the item for 230 inc p n p.

First of all ill be installing this into my new p4 3.0 gig 512ram htpc. Its going into the agp slot, and ill connect the molex splitter from the hdd drive, is this a better option from the dvd drive? as i only have 2 molex feeds from my 450 ez cool psu.

Secondly, im actually typing on my old pc because the onboard graphics card seems to be broken, it works intermittenly, as the connection at the back has imploded into the casing, with a jerk of the cable the signal comes back to the monitor. If i just disable the onboard and activate the agp this should be fine shouldnt it? is there anyway to repair onboard gpus, i looked inside the poota and the vga connection is kind of hidden. The theory behind my plan is to get enough signal to boot, disable onboard in windows, restart to bios, enable the agp slot (as no option to disable onboard, i think it reverts to either pci/agp, those are the only options given). then resart with the card in agp!? ive got 2 days to plan and hopefully get doom 3 on ultra settings for the weekend :D :D

2. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    auctionsniper and others :D If you are feeling adventurous you can bid up to the last few seconds.

3. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it definately gets my heart racing, even on 2 meg broadband, it is heart shuddering waiting for the bid confirmation to come through, sometimes it really can be hit or miss cant it.

anyways, quality of 6800gt and compat.??

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The 6800gt is a very good card, though it would seem to be a little much for a HTPC. The biggest problem is likely to be noise.
    You should be able to do the things you need to to make it work. It seems like a mechanical connector/cable issue and should not affect your pc's ability to distinguish between on board and AGP.