Man cave thread - gadgets, lights, design, et all

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a digital desk clock that stays illuminated or at least I can read when the room is dark or semi-dark. It could have other gadgets on it, like a weather station but that is not necessary. There are quite a few on Amazon but most are cheap Chinese things that don't look good and functionality is quite poor either. So what do you have? What sort of cool gadgets do you use in your man cave / home office?

Last edited:
Strippers.....

Alexa " I want strippers in my man cave "

B&Q :(.

What about a cheap tablet in a dock. Anybody uses that? Can I make it to display time all the time and stay illuminated when connected to a dock? Looking for ideas people. You can do better than that Alexa thingy :)

EDIT: Fire tablet is only 30 quid. Hmmm

They tend to shut down the screen unless they have an always on setting. 2nd hand Joggler would work though.

A turbo trainer for the bike, beer fridge, TV/PS with Netflix and lots of Lego. I'd rather not know what time it is when I'm in there, and as its indoors I don't care what the weather is like either :rotfl:

What about one of these. Stay lit all the time.

20161125_201636[1].jpg

They tend to shut down the screen unless they have an always on setting. 2nd hand Joggler would work though.
As the location will be static (under my monitor), it can be permanently connected to mains. I could load a custom ROM too. I could use it to control my Hive heating as well, if possible.

I've looked at those on Amazon. That was where I started, but they are quite limited in functionality, plus the ones I had a look at, have some poor comments as well.

What kind of functions are you after?

A turbo trainer for the bike, beer fridge, TV/PS with Netflix and lots of Lego. I'd rather not know what time it is when I'm in there, and as its indoors I don't care what the weather is like either :rotfl:
lol my man cave is pretty small. A large desk, a chair and me... no more room :(

My Nexus 7 is permanently docked, but it still goes to sleep :)

What kind of functions are you after?
Well, I'm just looking for ideas. It all started from a "I need a digital clock that I can see when the light is off" thought. I went online and saw that some of them have weather stations as well. "I might get one of those instead" crossed my mind. Started looking at them and reading comments, but couldn't find any good ones. Now I came up with an idea of buying a cheap tablet and converting it to a dock clock + I could try to use it for other things as well (if I could control my Hive heating with it for example, that would be an added bonus).

lol my man cave is pretty small. A large desk, a chair and me... no more room :(

Mine is only 2x2.4m and I've got two bikes, a 42" TV, soundbar and sub, PS3, turbo trainer, beer fridge, 2.4x0.6m Lego building table + chair and an insane amount of Lego in boxes, drawers, storage tubs etc. It's a bit tight :rotfl:

Mine is only 2x2.4m and I've got two bikes, a 42" TV, soundbar and sub, PS3, turbo trainer, beer fridge, 2.4x0.6m Lego building table + chair and an insane amount of Lego in boxes, drawers, storage tubs etc. It's a bit tight :rotfl:
Mine is pretty much the same size! How in the name... have you managed to fit all of that?! Granted I have a huge desk in mine that takes half of the room :laugh:

Our old ipad 2 is permanently docked in the kitchen and I've set it to not go to sleep.

Controls Sonos, heating (Tado) and I have wunderground for weather.

Squeezebox Touch for me, not made anymore unfortunately.

Hmm I presume you have not tried to load a custom ROM on it? I wonder if that could be used to unlock some additional functionality

No, not tried that, it has a setting that "leaves the clock on when docked" but I think it's getting forgetful in it's old age :)

Our old ipad 2 is permanently docked in the kitchen and I've set it to not go to sleep.

Controls Sonos, heating (Tado) and I have wunderground for weather.
Ipad would be great, but they are a little expensive.

I am seriously considering Amazon Fire Tablet. For 30 quid

The Fire tablet has it's micro USB socket on the top so doesn't really lend itself to docking.

Most 7" tablets have their port on the short edge so even if a dock is available it will be in portrait. So bear that in mind if it needs to fit below your monitor.

The Fire tablet has it's micro USB socket on the top so doesn't really lend itself to docking.

Most 7" tablets have their port on the short edge so even if a dock is available it will be in portrait. So bear that in mind if it needs to fit below your monitor.
Thanks for that. Yes, that is not ideal. But I had a quick look around and couldn't really find an official dock for the thing anyway. Therefore I started looking for a stand. I could just use a landscape orientated tablet stand, have it connected to my PC via USB cable for example to provide juice all the time, and run custom apps. I think I should be able to find an Android app (it will be an Android tablet once I break it), that will give me ability to display clock permanently.

It's either this or one of those digital clocks from Amazon for 20 something.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom