1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gadget Show

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Did anyone see the Gadget Show on 5 tonight. They were filming at the Bang and Olafsun factory, showed them testing t.v.s to destruction etc. pretty impressive stuff. One point I did pick up on, they say that for sheer picture quality nothing beats a CRT, however, the majority of their customers not demand flat panel LCD type tv's. The other interesting point being that the panel they use from choice is from Samsung.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Interesting indeed! Sort of explains why B & O have gained a bit of a reputation for producing overpriced TV's (overpriced everything) that are generally pretty awful.

Jimmy

PS...Hi Faust!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    B&O Avant 32 version 3 is the best PQ i have seen....they are superb and very good reliability..... the samsung panels they use are incredible, and they use panny for their plasmas........but they have been very very slow on the uptake of digital inputs.....

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I would imagine that although Samsung make the panels for B&O they will be made to a different price point from the average Samsung LCD. The programme also demonstrated just how much punishment a t.v. can take. Not sure I would like to turn my Panny on after being stored in a freezer at - 23 degrees for days on end like they did - and it fired up straight away. I must admit though they do have some pretty neat design concepts. PS hello to you Jimsan

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    B&O are all about design. It's their thing. And their stuff is generally uttery gorgeous!

To get back to their PQ issues, I did, during the long LCD hunt, a comparison between loads of LCD's and a B&O LCD was included. It was alongside a JVC at the time and I swapped the DVD connection I was testing with backwards andforwards a number of times and fiddled extensively with the settings, but still couldn't achieve a respectable picture. It was nearly on a par with the JVC, which is just not good enough. The ubiquitous Philips 9986 walked all over them...(and the Sharp and the Loewe...)

Jimmy

6. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I saw this too - very interesting with the 'torture chamber' etc. When they said for sheer picture quality nothing beats CRT, is this really true? if we take the cost factor out of the equation doesn't an LCD or plasma give a better picture than a CRT with the best possible source? I know CRT walks all over flat panel displays with standard definition but in my experience a better picture can be had with a flat panel display.

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63

It takes a knowledgable and competent ISF video calibrator quite some time using sophisticated test and analysis equipment to calibrate a TV to perfection. Fiddling with TV controls in a shop by eye will at best get 80% of a decent PQ and possibly make matters far worse due to the interaction between different controls. The fact that you could not achieve a respectable picture with a decent input is I suspect not a fault of the display but an indication that more than extensive fiddling was required, especially if grey scale, colour temperature and gamma are out.

There will be some that would argue that a display should come correctly calibrated. Unfortunately it is not so easy where displays are stacked high in shops and need to stand out from the crowd. In addition, calibration settings for one screen can be very different from another. RGB, component, digital, even progressive/interlaced and ambient lighting all require different settings and it can be very difficult to tell the difference without using a test pattern, but even subtle changes can dramatically change the picture.

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't get me wrong, Ian, I have a fair grasp of how to fettle a picture and we achieved what I felt was as good a picture as was going to be possible without running calibration DVD's. But, at the end of the day, with contrast, brightness, backlight(where applicable) and softness settings at what I thought were at their optimum and assorted processing features enabled (or disabled) the B&O just didn't cut it.

Anyway, stricktly speaking it shouldn't be necessary to run elaborate calibration systems through modern LCD's to get the best from them. Half an hour and a good eye should always be enough...

Jimmy

9. AgentPingu

AgentPingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn right :smashin:

10. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Wish they had tested my B&O set to destruction rather than letting me doing it.
    The power supply failed not once, but twice, once resulting in copious amounts of smoke billowing out the back as it melted down taking everything around with it.... And then they wanted more than the cost of a regular set just to fix it.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Perhaps it should, but it isnt the case..... ALL DIsplays need proper set-up with test patterns and analysers....
    Interesting in your comparison oj the JVC and B&O (assume Beovision 6 26" set and JVC 26") did you do this isde by side?

12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    A decent retailer should setup the screen for you, either onsite or during pre installation testing. It may not be full ISF calibration, but it should be a decent image, better than what came out of the box.