1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gadget Show Tonight (10.10.05)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by gargoyle, Oct 10, 2005.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Channel 5, 7.15pm - The Gadget Show - Jason Bradbury'll be testing flat screen tv's - lcd & plasma, check it out!

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i remember his laughable HC test. When he couldn't spot the diff between a £400 all in one and a dedicated £35,000 HC.

Think i might have to give it a miss

Gary

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

He couldnt tell the difference between a £400 system and a £35,000. :eek: It wasnt a B&O was it? :rotfl:

4. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Is it a repeat? They did one before and other than saying the Tiny Plasma was awful they just said the CRT TV was better than than the Plasmas and LCD like we didn't know.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Is it a repeat of an old series, or one thats been shown in the last week if so when in the week is the first screening?

6. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No, its a new series - started from last week and now runs at 45 mins instead of 30 mins.

7. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you gargoyle. I watched last week and the previous series, really love the programme. I didn't realise it was on tonight and that's of special interest. I know it's usually repeated a few times but it's easy to miss those too with so many other good programmes.

When they had the programme with the £35,000 set up (I saw it), was the £400 a Denon? I always meant making a note of that at the time. Does anyone remember the reference number?

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Cynthia, i cant remember if it was a Denon as i was too busy laughing at this rubbish.

anyway you cant watch this as Pooch hasn't recommended it :smashin:

gary

9. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well gary, given that there are few - if any primetime programmes which deal with the latest in audio visual technology plus the latest gadgets, I'll take what I can get - I watch it to be informed on the latest technological innovations - unless you know of any other programmes which showcase this - excluding FTN's gadgets and stuff which is repeated ad nauseum, I'd be happy to hear it.

10. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    t'internet mate thats all i need. i'd rather seek out what i need (from places like this, CNET et al) than watch the gadget show. i dont see the point in watching anything thats ill informed. i KNOW that he was talking rubbish when he did the HC thing last year, but what about the stuff i dont know anything about? i'm a meant to trust his advice and buy things because they like them? i certainly wont watch just because its the only thing on that deals with Gadgets.

Gary

11. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I watch to be informed - if I were sufficiently interested in something on show, I'd research via magazines, internet and live test - this is why I've NEVER been disapointed with anything home cinema, audio, or gadgetwise that I've ever bought having done this since I bought my first home theatre gear way back in the late eighties.
    My level of home cinema equipment is pretty ancient but it works superbly, however, jason bradbury and the other presenters are privy to all the latest gossip concerning this and other aspects of gadgetry so I sit up and take note - in this case, I'll be purchasing a hd ready tv this year - I know very little about plasma and lcd as I kinda hoped that a crt based hd tv would be released in this country as in america and japan and I'm very comfortable with the format but this is increasingly unlikely so it'd be interesting to see what their take on plasma and lcd are - ultimately, what they say won't decide what I finally choose, but it'll add some meat to the issue.

12. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    oh my god £400 all in one against £35000 my £2000 system would wipe the floor no doubt anyone with ears and a arse to feel the bass could tell that. I cant stand them I bet the people on there dont know anything just journalists.

13. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    They had a test on audio as well where they play a pop band their own song to them. They ranked the Mp3 first followed by the CD and finally the Vinyl. They did say if it was something classical they it should be easier to tell the difference.

But, it makes you wonder sometimes if out ears are getting use to poor quality music and see the better quality music as "odd"

Reminds me a bit of a friends brother who loved chicken, but if you gave him free ranged chicken he hated the taste of it and wouldn't eat it.

14. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I can easy spot out an mp3 but it does depend on what bitrate. They were listening to it on a very exspensive naim system though.

15. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Again the show proves it doesnt know whats its talking about.

I have yet to see a decent LCD screen regardless of size, make etc.
    How can they say LCD is better than Plasma are they blind!!
    I have a sony lcd 17"widesceen panel in my bedroom and the pictures crap and I have a 42" Panasonic PWD4 downstairs and its brilliant even after 3 1/2 years of constant use...

Anyone agree?

16. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,334
    I ignore the reviews and watch for the gadget sex. Having a show like this on TV IS good if for only one reason - you can sit the Mrs down and make her see things, whereas giving her a link to a website is all but useless.

Did you see the "average family" playing with the Infocus PJ?! :lol: They set it up awfully bad, then dumped the screen (why do we need it?) and used their magnolia yellow wall, all done in a sunny room with pathetic light-blocking curtains. Gah, i hope they show people why PJs are good for the home, instead of this reality TV watch-them-struggle-setting-up-gadget crapfest.

The woman likes Macs, so was a good hook to get her thinking about a flatscreen to replace our aging Sony 29" CRTs. Probably stick with a PJ for movies however - she likes it big ;)

17. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    I have yet to see a decent LCD screen regardless of size, make etc.
    Have you ever actually seen that 45 inch Sharp?
    How can they say LCD is better than Plasma are they blind!!
    No. They were watching the 45 inch Sharp alongside certain Plasmas
    I have a sony lcd 17"widesceen panel in my bedroom and the pictures crap
    And this has what, exactly, to do with a 45 inch Sharp?
    and I have a 42" Panasonic PWD4 downstairs and its brilliant even after 3 1/2 years of constant use...
    I've no doubt you are more than pleased with your TV.
    Anyone agree?
    Not me

18. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Nor me ;)

19. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Would of been better for them to have used a 37" LCD instead of the 45" then at least the plasmas and LCD would of been nearer in price range.

20. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    What i mean is the way the picture blurs on quick movement LCD's dont react as quickly as plasmas...And I have seen larger screen LCD's and They Dont look as sharp or clear as a plasma.

I didnt want to buy an LCD for my bedroom but you cant get a plasma that small. The picture doesnt have the same contrast as a plasma

Thats my opinion

21. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    So you haven't actually seen the 45 inch Sharp, then? In which case, how do you know that the programme was wrong? Do you know the Sharp isn't sharp? Do you know it blurs? Do you know it has poor contrast? Judging this TV, and hence the validity of the programme by what you see on your Sony 17 incher isn't really valid, IMO. Rather like only ever driving a 1.3 Fiesta and using that to decide that all 4 cylinder cars are sluggish.

I have seen the Sharp TV in three separate places. I have no empirical means to measure any aspect of it; only my subjective judgement. And on that basis I concur with the programme that the TV produces a bl**dy good picture.

22. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258