Gadget Show Live Success

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Gadget Show 2012 was a tremendous success for AVForums.

We spoke to thousands of people. Some had already visited AVForums, some were members, and some had never heard of us but were glad to learn of the help they can get.
We signed up hundreds of people and gave away thousands of bags, pens, coasters and leaflets.

queue 1.jpg
Thousands of people saw our demo. It was presented by Alan Roser's team and details of the kit are here. When I told people it was a £100,000 home cinema system and probably the best 3D they would ever see, most headed directly for the queue, which was quite long at times.

I sat in on the demo myself, of course. My favourite clip was the TinTin chase sequence (with the motorcycle) which was phenomenal both from a visual and audio perspective. The 3D was outstanding. Just breathtaking. And the audio was totally awesome. Anyone who knows me will tell you I love subwoofers and to be surrounded by three 4.5 Kw Paradigm Sub25s was bliss :)
I want to say many, many thanks to Alan and his team for delivering a really special experience.

The leaflet we produced was a useful guide to help people set up their TV. (Although its title 'Top Ten Tips' did become a bit of an embarrasing tongue twister after the hundredth time of saying it ;)). I asked lots of people whether they had adjusted the picture on their TV after they had bought it. The vast majority hadn't because they didn't know how. Many expected the TV to be correct out of the box.
The leaflet would inform people what the basic picture controls do (it's not what most people expect) and if followed, would very likely improve the quality of their TV picture.
The article can be found in full at www.AVForums.com/tvsetup/ and we will be expanding on it further over the coming days.

The team roster looked like this:
Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Sally Meaden Sally Meaden Russell Williams Russell Williams Russell Williams Mathew Broadhurst Keith Fern Keith Fern Keith Fern Keith Fern Keith Fern Keith Fern
Andrew Taylor Andrew Taylor Andrew Taylor Andrew Taylor Andrew Taylor Andrew Taylor
Lee Jensen Lee Jensen John O'Hara John O'Hara Greg Hook Greg Hook
Stuart Wright Stuart Wright Stuart Wright Stuart Wright Stuart Wright Stuart Wright
Vicki Wright Vicki Wright Vicki Wright Vicki Wright Vicki Wright Vicki Wright
Severine De Maximoff Severine De Maximoff Severine De Maximoff Severine De Maximoff Severine De Maximoff Severine De Maximoff
Phil Hinton Phil Hinton Phil Hinton Phil Hinton Phil Hinton Phil Hinton
Steve Withers Steve Withers Steve Withers Steve Withers Steve Withers Steve Withers
Mark Hodgkinson
I have already sung Mathew's praises on both the build of the stand, and then maintaining it. I want to say again that he was fantastic, and I would definitely recommend LEO Exhibitions.

We handed out almost 10,000 of our bags. When offered them at the start of the show, people were happy to take them to pop their show guides in.
Luckily there weren't many exhibitors giving out bags. We handed out so many that they became fashionable and we soon had people asking for them. I'm sure the design has something to do with that.
One chap asked me if he could borrow one :).
As we started to run out later on Sunday, we were reserving them for forum members, and a few people signed up to get them.
Check out the show video we're making which will have shots of people carrying them :)

Inside the bags, we were dropping our leaflets and those from stand sponsors XTZ and Zavvi, as well as a CD full of brochures about the equipment in the home cinema demo.

coaster.jpg
We also gave away several thousand pens and coasters.

The coasters are a brand new design on rigid plastic with a clever high friction base.
The pens are the super soft ones like we used to have, but now all black in keeping with our new look.

If you want an AVForums coaster or pen then they will be available at future events such as product previews and focus groups we will be arranging.

I'm very happy that we managed to help some people with their technical questions. Phil, Steve, Russell and Greg were able to help in their roles as reviewers, but John, Mathew and particularly Keith and Andrew were able to share their AV knowledge and extoll the advantages of forum membership.

We even managed to 'kill two birds' by getting Russell, Steve, Mark and Phil round a table to record a podcast in person for a change (we usually use Skype since everyone is scattered around the country).
You can hear that home cinema podcast when it's published around the 21st April.
And as I mentioned above, there will also be a video from the show published soon on AVForums.tv.

And that's it for my personal thoughts on AVForums @ Gadget Show Live 2012.

Thanks to all those members who stopped by to say Hello. And to our new members, Welcome!
To everyone who helped on the stand, Vicki and I would like to extend our heartfelt thanks for your considerable commitment and effort to help make the AVForums Gadget Show Live stand a success. Thank you :)

And lastly on Sunday, to add the icing on the cake, we had a visit from Jason who despite being very busy, managed to find time to come and experience our demo (which he said was awesome) and let us snap a few photos. He left 14 minutes before being due on stage! Many thanks, Jason. :thumbsup:

barryd

Thanks to All the AVForums team for a great Gadget Show Display! My son and i were blown away by the demo room! Also an extra thanks to steve who`s knowledge on projectors was very helpfull!:clap::clap::clap:

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Did the organizers mention if it would run next year given the normal Gadget show axing?
I didn't ask. Little point because at this early stage, I don't think anyone would commit to making a statement either way.
Personally I think the UK public's interest in gadgets exists anyway, but the show connects with them in an engaging way which doubtlessly brings them to GSL in larger numbers. So long as the new format show continues in terms of popularity and in its promotion of GSL, I can see it continuing and growing.
It will certainly be interesting to see what happens.

bravogolf

Sounds awesome, what an excellent marketing plan too, that bags were very smart. I'd be simultaneously depressed and excited at seeing what a 100k set up looks like, I'm sure it's mind blowing but then ones own set up would be so inferior! Sounds like you were really happy with it, any plans on coming to Ireland :-D?

rousetafarian

My schedule stopped me from attending this year, but it's clearly obvious it was a massive success and a credit to the forum. I've cleared my diary for next year so hope you will be there again!

Keep up the great work.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member

lanstrom

Novice Member
Hey ... my bag is faulty ! I didn't get the CD with the demo details on :( I want my money back ;-)

Thanks for the demo guys. It was a truly wonderful experience and you could have quite honestly locked me in there with a few packets of peanut M&Ms and I would have been in heaven !

Looking forward to the next event.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Hey ... my bag is faulty ! I didn't get the CD with the demo details on :( I want my money back ;-)
:) There were a limited number of CDs, so they didn't go in all bags. Apologies if your experience is compromised :)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Our demo setup was awesome but last night I sat down in my Home Cinema with my £1k projector and 8ft wide screen, I had not had it on for over a week as I had been too knackered after the show to bother.

I watched the Contagion bluray and you know what I was still amazed at how lucky we are to be able to see such high quality images at home for relatively peanuts.

I often think back to my youth when we had a sub 20" black and white tv at home with a choice of 2 channels:eek: now look where we are:thumbsup: and all in the space of 50 years.

I'm 68.

When I was 11 in 1955, my grandparents had electricity installed for the first time. Then they were able to stop taking the accumulators into town to get them re-charged, so as to run their 'wireless'.

They died in the 60's and never had a TV. :(

I'm glad to hear you had such a fantastic show.

When is the next one? :)

(cough cough)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Hi Begonia

I don't know if or when there will be another show but if you are in the Midlands you are more than welcome to come round my place for a demo of my home cinema.Whilst it may not be up to the one we ran at the show it is still the dogs as far as I am concerned.:D

Cheers

Keith

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
Ive been a member here for quite a while now, and whilst my postings have subsided over the years, I still generally pop back here to see what is going on. I'm constantly amazed at the advances in technology and also in the advances of the site. I think that Stuart and his team do a magnificent job and it gives me an enormous sense of pleasure to see the site evolve in the way it has.

Many many thanks to Stuart for overseeing all of this and for his background team who do such a magnificent job. Well done guys :thumbsup:

boksbox

Robothamster said:
What?!? Noooooooooooooooooooo :(
The new show is Polly and Jason going round the world looking at new gadgets and tech, the other 3 presenters were axed.
They did put on a professional show though at the GSL despite events.

Chadford

Distinguished Member
I was very fortunate to get to experience the AVForum stand's cinema set-up with the volume cranked up!!!!! The boys running the cinema demo did this on some evenings after the show had closed. The video of choice was the Joe Bonamassa band.

20KW of amplification. :eek:

Very very very loud and yet crystal clear, quite an exceptional experience.

Thanks guys.

:)

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Yeah, your ears would distort before the equipment would ! :clap::thumbsup::clap::thumbsup::clap:

hodg100

Distinguished Member

Thanks guys.

And that was 7dB under reference levels, I think the stand would have fallen apart at reference.

I know I'm a video guy and the SIM2 Lumis projector is a beautiful projector but it's the quality of the audio that will live longest in the memory. Totally stunning :)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I think for every 3dB the sound level doubles so that extra 7dB would definitely have raised the roof off our stand and the NEC's:D

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
I think for every 3dB the sound level doubles so that extra 7dB would definitely have raised the roof off our stand and the NEC's:D
It literally *was* raising the roof, Keith :). Alan mentioned that the whole room was swelling with the sound pressure.

Chadford

Distinguished Member
It literally *was* raising the roof, Keith :). Alan mentioned that the whole room was swelling with the sound pressure.
...at one point I thought my trousers at my feet were flapping. I looked down and realised It was actually my bones shaking.

Damn you lot!!!. I think I've found a new interest... 'Home Cinema'.

Andrew.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Hi Stuart I know when I was in the demo on 2-3 occasions I sat on the back row with my back resting against the wall and you could definitely feel the walls flexing quite a bit.:thumbsup:

I know for me it was really a "moving" experience.:D

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Somehow I managed to miss the build up to the Gadget Show Live, so in turn missed the event itself! :facepalm:

Great to hear AVF did well, so well done to all involved. :thumbsup: