• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Gadget insurance?

chippyteaforme

Prominent Member
I've never really considered this before, but the old man has suggested I take it out!

I've no idea what I'm looking for, so I'm really after suggestions from people - recommended insurers, an idea of price, e.t.c. :)

Main gear I use is :

1) Alienware M11x laptop (probably worth about £500?)
2) Canon 350D with 3 lenses (nothing serious, but worth about £200 total)
3) AKG K702 headphones (worth about £200)
4) iPhone 3G (probably only worth about £100 these days!)

So, I'd say at the lower end, that's £1000 worth of stuff I tend to take when I do stay away, and also £1000 worth of stuff which could obviously break down, e.t.c. (although the new, replacement value would be more like £1500).

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
I think you may be underestimating the value of some of them. I have an iPhone 3G 16GB that is worth AT LEAST £150. the alien ware laptop may be worth more than £500 as well depending on age/spec.

One thing you might want to check is your home insurance to see if it has any personal possessions cover included in it. This might cover you.

I'm actually looking into the myself as some days I have my laptop, iPad and new phone with me. Rough calculations put them at a combined value of over £1000!

gary99129

Established Member
You should always value things on a new for old replacement value, so whatever the modern equiavelent price is.

Of course if you have a nice Rembrandt or something, then that's a different matter!

On a side note, does your household insurance not cover this stuff? My iPhone and camera equipment are all covered under mine, even when away from the house.

chippyteaforme

Prominent Member
You should always value things on a new for old replacement value, so whatever the modern equiavelent price is.

Of course if you have a nice Rembrandt or something, then that's a different matter!

On a side note, does your household insurance not cover this stuff? My iPhone and camera equipment are all covered under mine, even when away from the house.

I don't have my own household insurance (I live with the parents), and prefer to keep my own financial stuff separate :)

I'm wondering about when I'm out and about, my short term memory in particular is pretty useless, I've lost loads of low-value stuff before on trains e.t.c. - just wondered if there was any good value protection for the lot (rather than taking it out individually, which I'd imagine would cost a lot!)

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
depending on how much this extra insurance costs you could look at this from Natwest:

NatWest Private Banking | Advantage Private current account

The break down is you pay £19.99 a month and you get all the cover you could want for your gadgets...

plus you get other benefits.

might be worth a look if the insurance will cost you 20 odd quid a month anyway.

I seem to remember O2 offering me insurance for my i-phone when I had one and it was like 10 odd quid on top!

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
ha just had a look and they also offer this....

We'll extend the manufacturer's warranty by an extra year on top of the manufacturers one or two year guarantee, for up to six household appliances when you buy with your NatWest card.

does anyone have this already?

That could actually be really useful...

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
They will most probably be covered under your parents house insurance both in and out of the home.

Typically if a specific item is worth more than £1,500 it will have to be listed as a "named" item to be covered.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
They will most probably be covered under your parents house insurance both in and out of the home.

Typically if a specific item is worth more than £1,500 it will have to be listed as a "named" item to be covered.

+1, My stuff is all on my parents contents insurance, not through choice but their whole house is covered and my stuff is inside it, getting my own insurance would be a pointless expense. Have a chat with your old man and see if it's covered and maybe offer him some cash towards it if you feel the need to, it will be cheaper than getting your own cover

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
+1, My stuff is all on my parents contents insurance, not through choice but their whole house is covered and my stuff is inside it, getting my own insurance would be a pointless expense. Have a chat with your old man and see if it's covered and maybe offer him some cash towards it if you feel the need to, it will be cheaper than getting your own cover
Agreed.

Remember though that it doesn't cover breakdown, just accidental damage, loss or theft, depending on the terms. Breakdowns are either covered by the original warranty or separate insurance. My own opinion is that it's not worth paying for such insurance.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
Agreed.

Remember though that it doesn't cover breakdown, just accidental damage, loss or theft, depending on the terms. Breakdowns are either covered by the original warranty or separate insurance. My own opinion is that it's not worth paying for such insurance.

unless they ask if you want the warranty and it's already being funny i'd agree, my parents were offered this just as their TV started to develop a fault so they bit their hand off reported the problem a month later and got it sorted (well an enginner wrote the TV off got them their money back and the TV is still working almost perfectly in their living room). If they'd had no issues not getting it woulld have been the sensible thing, more often than not it will run for a year and you will never use it

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom