GA3/GA4 settings?

T

top_caty

I have now received the GA3 and the results have been a little disappointing, there seems to be a lot of digital artifacts on the image even from a DVD source. I've read that maybe the default settings aren't the best so I was wondering what setting people are using to get the best out of this LCD?

To start the ball rolling here are the settings APC uses

APC said:
OPC = Off
Backlight = STD (central position)
Contrast = 0
Brightness = +11
Colour = -3
Tint = 0
Sharpness = 0

Advanced settings:

Advanced CMS:
'Hue', 'saturation' and 'value' all set to default

Colour Temp = Middle
Black level expansion = Off
Film mode = Off

Other settings:
DNR = High
Quick shoot = Off (but On for footie)

Note: Thanks APC for the settings

T

top_caty

Sorry I didn't make that very clear. I am using the default ones but will be trying these settings when I get back from work tonight.

U

Ultim8Fury

If my screen is anything to go by the default settings are awful. When I first turned it on I was worried I would never be able to watch TV again due to the shockingly bad picture. Some time later after playing with the AVIA disk and a THX setup thing on the T2 dvd I found things had improved beyond belief. When I finally finish wall mounting my sharp I'll post the settings up for my various inputs.

aspender

Standard Member
For what it's worth, seen as every room/source/ambient light combination is different, the settings for my LC-32GA4E with a Denon AV-F100 DVD system using component are:

OPC = Off
Backlight = -8 (lowest)
Contrast = +9
Brightness = +7
Colour = +17
Tint = +5
Sharpness = -3

Advanced settings:

Advanced CMS:
'Hue', 'saturation' set to default
Value: Red +2 Y +7 G +7 M-5

Colour Temp = Low
Film mode = On

Other settings:
DNR = off
Quick shoot = Off

All of that is set up using DVE (my first go with it, so still learning though) and aimed at a dark room, with ambient light coming from the hallway. I found DVE especially useful for getting the colour settings correct, everything looks very realistic and natural now.

Settings for Sky through RGB are rougly the same, but DNR is on, as is quickshoot, and film mode is off.

A

APC

Wow aspender, those settings are massively different from mine. I was aiming for an all-round approach that would do for all sources. Do you use different settings for ordinary TV?

aspender

Standard Member
APC said:
Wow aspender, those settings are massively different from mine. I was aiming for an all-round approach that would do for all sources. Do you use different settings for ordinary TV?

I have the movie mode set up with the posted settings, and use "Default" for Sky, though the brightness/contrast/colour settings aren't massively different.

As I say, it has a lot to do with the source and the room you are viewing in, and your own preferences (and even eyes I guess!) have a part to play, so YMMV :)

jimg

Different strokes for different folk!

My 37GA4E is set as follows:

OPC = Off
Backlight = +4
Contrast = +20
Brightness = +6
Colour = +3
Tint = +15
Sharpness = -2

Advanced settings:

Advanced CMS:
'Hue', 'saturation' Value: set to default
Colour Temp = Low
Film mode =Off

T

top_caty

I just tried APC's settings and it has certainly improved the picture. A lot better :thumbsup:

T

top_caty

Its suprising how different all of the posted settings are. It's not as if they are just 'tweeks' but completely different setups. Has anyone tried all the ones posted on this thread yet?

Bob Todd

Banned
I have my NTL pass thru via scart to my Toshiba RDSX32 DVD recorder then outputed via component to the 32GA3e, when I look in the settings Film Mode is always Greyed out.

why?

jimg

Ironduke,
Most odd, I have SKY+into Scart1 via RGB and DVD into AV3 via component. I have film mode availble on both.

Bob Todd

Banned
aspender said:
For what it's worth, seen as every room/source/ambient light combination is different, the settings for my LC-32GA4E with a Denon AV-F100 DVD system using component are:

OPC = Off
Backlight = -8 (lowest)
Contrast = +9
Brightness = +7
Colour = +17
Tint = +5
Sharpness = -3

Advanced settings:

Advanced CMS:
Value: Red +2 Y +7 G +7 M-5

Colour Temp = Low
Film mode = On

Other settings:
DNR = off
Quick shoot = Off

All of that is set up using DVE (my first go with it, so still learning though) and aimed at a dark room, with ambient light coming from the hallway. I found DVE especially useful for getting the colour settings correct, everything looks very realistic and natural now.

Settings for Sky through RGB are rougly the same, but DNR is on, as is quickshoot, and film mode is off.

These settings make DVD playback lustful :smashin:

bobbytech

Standard Member
I plan to try this out this afternoon.

I've tried all the suggested settings posted above and, for what its worth, my view at the moment is that those suggested by APC look best for general TV watching.

thxultra

Been playing with the settings all day using DVE , Aria and video essentials and this is what i've came out with

OPC= OFF
Backlight= STD
Contrast= +20
Brightness= +2
Colour= +11
Tint= +6
Sharpness= -3

CMS HUE

R = 0
Y = -4
G = 0
C = -4
B = 0
M = -20

CMS VALUE

R = 0
Y = +4
G = +3
C = 0
B = +2
M = -5

Colour temp = MID-LOW

Black level = off

DNR = OFF

QUICKSHOOT = ON

All other settings on default

MickyGee

Anyone got any other settings they would like to post ? Interested in Panasonic Sky Box on RGB if someone out there has one connected to a GA3,4, or 5.

thfccambs

Banned
Keep them coming lads,just about to order the GA5 32" sharp. :rolleyes:

jgrg

I have a Panasonic DSB40 Sky digibox, a Denon DVD3910 and a Sharp LC32GA4E.

I watch with the room lights on. (Halogen downlighters.)

I have "Quick Shoot" set to "On". (I had read that having it on increases picture noise, but I don't see this.)

Contrast:

I find that when contrast is set too high on the screen, the detail is bleached out of the bright part of the image. It needs to be set particularly low for the RGB input.

On the digibox I find that midrange tones, particularly skin tones, are smoother when the it is set to "Contrast - low" (SERVICES - SYSTEM SETUP - PICTURE SETTINGS).

On the DVD player I have contrast set to "-2" in the Picture Settings. This is similar to the digibox low contrast setting, giving more information and a smoother image in the mid and bright parts of the image.

My settings for the Sky digibox via RGB Scart, and for the DVD player via DVI at 720p are:

Code:
               Sky RGB  DVD 720p

Backlight         +4        +4
  Contrast         +10       +20
  Brightness       +20       +10
  Colour            +5         0
  Tint               0         0
  Sharpness         -5         0

Under the Sharp's Advanced Picture menu:

I always have black level expansion off.

I find this very important: For the Digibox via RGB I always have the "I/P Setting" set to "Interlace". This is particularly important for watching sports, and anything else shot with video cameras. If it is set to "Progressive" you loose a lot of detail in the picture. (I suspect it is doing single field interpolation in "Progressive", so you end up with half the original vertical resolution.) When I'm watching film based material I set "Film Mode" to "On", which seems to work well. (I save this under the "Movie" mode, so I just have to switch AV MODE to get it.)

deadred

After much tweaking this is the best set of settings for my set up (Panasonic freeview TU-CT30 fed via RGB)

OPC = Off
Backlight = +3
Contrast = +17
Brightness = +11
Colour = -5
Tint = 0
Sharpness = 0

Advanced settings:

Advanced CMS:
Value: Red +2 Y +7 G +7 M-5 (same as aspenders)

Colour Temp = Low
Film mode = Off

Other settings:
DNR = off
Quick shoot = On

But no doubt i'll be tweaking again for movies, Xbox etc etc!!!

MickyGee

After several weeks of tweaking here are my Panasonic TU-DSB30 SKY Box settings on RGB for a 32GA4:

Sky menu contrast setting = LOW

They are similar to Thxultra's with a few variations.

OPC= OFF
Backlight= -2
Contrast= +6
Brightness= +11
Colour= +12
Tint= +5
Sharpness= 0

CMS HUE

R = 0
Y = -4
G = 0
C = -4
B = 0
M = -20

CMS VALUE

R = 0
Y = +4
G = +3
C = 0
B = +2
M = -5

Colour temp = MID-LOW

Black level = off

DNR = OFF

QUICKSHOOT = ON

I/P SETTING = INTERLACE

Still not totally happy but infinately better the default settings. Also I think picture is getting better over time. Maybe they settle down with a few hours under their belt !

Have ordered a calibration DVD to set up the DVD. Will post settings when sorted.

mark88

Novice Member
jgrg said:
I find this very important: For the Digibox via RGB I always have the "I/P Setting" set to "Interlace". This is particularly important for watching sports, and anything else shot with video cameras. If it is set to "Progressive" you loose a lot of detail in the picture. (I suspect it is doing single field interpolation in "Progressive", so you end up with half the original vertical resolution.) When I'm watching film based material I set "Film Mode" to "On", which seems to work well. (I save this under the "Movie" mode, so I just have to switch AV MODE to get it.)

Weird, I can't have "interlace" on when watching Sky at all. Any graphics(like Sky News) will just flicker, annoyingly.

jgrg

mark88 said:
Weird, I can't have "interlace" on when watching Sky at all. Any graphics(like Sky News) will just flicker, annoyingly.

Yes, static graphics do flicker a bit (as they do on an interlaced CRT TV), but I don't notice it at my normal viewing distance (2.5m). I guess it will be particularly bad with Sky News because the colours of their graphics are so contrasty. I find that horizontally scrolling text graphics really hard to read in "progressive" mode.

James

MickyGee

No problems with flicker at all, I just think there is a little more detail on some images with Interlace on. The benefit is a little subjective though.........

richjthorpe

Hi all,

These are my settings after tweaking for our 32GA3E calibrated with the help of DVE. It's done on a Marantz 4100 DVD player that doesn't show blacks properly (You know, the old types) so I turned down the brightness and upped the contrast to compensate for the Freeview which is a Digifusion FVRT100

OPC = Off
Backlight = -1
Contrast = +26
Brightness = +2
Colour = +6
Tint = +6
Sharpness = -2

Advanced settings:

Advanced CMS:
Value: Red +5, G +3 M -1

Colour Temp = Mid-Low
Film mode = Off

Other settings:
DNR = off
Quick shoot = On

I'll be looking to get the Samsung HD945 in a couple of months so I'll be able to post settings for RGB, Component and DVI.

IAnyone care to check it out and tell me if some of the settings are way out ?
Richie.

L

LcdGuru

Using the RGB input from my Pace Sky box the picture looked terrible at first - both the blacks and the whites were crushed to buggery. (Sky contrast set to Medium)

I found I needed to turn the brightness up close to max to bring the blacks in. Then turn the contrast down close to minimum to bring the whites in.

Now it looks great. Obviously some weird levels coming out of the sky box.

Moral: Use your eyes. Don't pay any attention to the control ranges. Roll on DVI & HDMI digital interfaces so we won't have to worry about these stupid settings any more!

Incidentally: I think the terms 'brightness' and 'contrast' are mis-nomers for these controls. They should really be called 'Offset' and 'Gain'. The objective being to map analogue 0-100% on the input to digital 0-100% on the output. You'd think they could develop some better controls for this by now. eg. how about a meter or some indication to tell us when the whites are hitting 100%. Visually it's very hard to judge.

PS.

Colour Temp = Low (what we're they thinking with that washed out blue default?)
Deintelacing = Interlaced. Make sure Film Mode is off for normal video else you get all sorts of weird combing effects on moving edges.
Quick Shoot on/off - I'm still looking for a video sequence that shows the difference.
DNR and Black Expansion OFF

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon launches DHT-S517 Dolby Atmos soundbar