GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 MoBo alternatives? Newegg tool

LittleGreyCat

Standard Member
I am looking for a motherboard to support an i5 2500K with good overclocking potential.

Having finally located 'newegg.com' as a mother board selecter tool I have quite quickly narrowed the choice down to the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3.

My quick selection list is as follows:
USB3
SATA6
Firewire
Virtu (not part of the search tool)
Dual monitor with VGA/DVI (not part of the search tool)
HDMI
DDR3 2133
ATX form factor

I can get some of these with add in cards but it is nice to have them on board.

SLI/Crossfire support is a bonus.
eSATA port is a bonus

I am building a multi-function system - one to edit a lot of AVCHD (hence the 2500K), to act as a general media centre, and to act as my next generation desktop PC.
I have no current ambitions to play games, but multiple graphic card support is always potential.
If I need more grunt for video editing then using one or more graphics cards might be an option, although the 2500K is allegedly pretty good.

So:

(1) Is this motherboard a sound choice?

(2) Are there alternatives from other manufacturers?
The Newegg search only returned GigaByte boards.
I am a bit suspicious of the Newegg search as when searching for memory support it only matched the maximum speed i.e if the MoBo supported "DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 " the search only matched 2133, not 1866.
So it may have missed other candidates.

The board is showing at £122.35 including delivery at Amazon at the moment - is this a good price?

I am planning to build this in stages - Mobo and processor plus memory first (can anyone recommend good matching memory?) which can go in an existing case, followed by case and then additional cards such as sat and TV tuners.
Given the high price of HD drives ATM I will probably wait until mid next year before buying new drives - I have some spare/reusable drives to keep me going.

Cheers

LGC

LittleGreyCat

Standard Member
What about the ASRock Extreme 4 Gen 3?
Slightly better benchmark in Toms Hardware.
eSATA is 6Gb/s instead of 3Gb/sec
IR (and CIR) header on board
PCI Express 3.0 x16
All for £14.75 extra.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom