GA-MA78GM-S2H sound and vision(HDMI) issue

Daveybryce

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Got my new HTPC up and running now, vista ultimate installed (Not SP1).

I installed all drivers on the CD supplied. Worked Fantastically.

As usual good old M$ downloaded the updates and I installed all of them like a good boy.

All of a sudden if i left the computer on but unattended for about an hour or two when i switched channels on my tv back to the HDMI input for the pc, the screen was blank and couldn't be restored to desktop. I found by installing the lastest ATi Mobo Driver 8.4, this seemed to resolve the issue.

However, now when i leave the comp for a period of time i lose the sound and have to restart the machine in order to get the sound back.

Is anyone else having issues with this or could it be my tele being the guilty party.

Thanks in advance

Any one????

I've loaded the new HD audio drivers too now and the problem is still there

I have this problem as well. I think it's more to do with using HDMI than your hardware and drivers. I might be wrong but I think it's to do with the security measures incorportated with HDMI connections. If it's idol for a period of time it disconnects and doesn't re-establish the security/connection until a reboot (sometimes unplugging the cable and putting it back resolves the issue).

I have this problem as well. I think it's more to do with using HDMI than your hardware and drivers. I might be wrong but I think it's to do with the security measures incorportated with HDMI connections. If it's idol for a period of time it disconnects and doesn't re-establish the security/connection until a reboot (sometimes unplugging the cable and putting it back resolves the issue).

Thank you :smashin: That makes sense now, do you know if there is a way in the settings/bios to reforce the handshake without reboot.

Thank you :smashin: That makes sense now, do you know if there is a way in the settings/bios to reforce the handshake without reboot.

I don't think there are any settings or drivers out yet (or even if it can be fixed). I didn't know this until I built my media center PC and changed the channel over and then back again and the picture refused to appear until a reboot and it got me worried. It's basically to protect high value media and the HDMI encrypts the signal and needs a constant connection to work. If the signal is broken then you can loose the picture or sound. I read somewhere the TV you use can depend on if it reconnects and the time it takes to reconnect. Bit of a pain in the arse really.

I think it's my tv that is the the issue (being old and all) i only seem to lose the sound now, but i did lose the picture until i updated the ATi driver to 8.4. http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx And since your post all i have to do is replug the hdmi on the tv to get the sound back, so it seems the HDCP handshake is re-established.

It only happens when i put the tv in standby and then turn it back on.

I think it's my tv that is the the issue (being old and all) i only seem to lose the sound now, but i did lose the picture until i updated the ATi driver to 8.4. http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx And since your post all i have to do is replug the hdmi on the tv to get the sound back, so it seems the HDCP handshake is re-established.

It only happens when i put the tv in standby and then turn it back on.

I'm glad that you can get the sound back by plugging the HDMI back in. It's not a great workaround but I suppose it's better than rebooting the PC. It happend on our TV and that cost ÂŁ1700 and is pretty new so I wouldn't rush out and buy a new TV thinking that will fix the problem (just in case it crossed your mind).

I'm glad that you can get the sound back by plugging the HDMI back in. It's not a great workaround but I suppose it's better than rebooting the PC. It happend on our TV and that cost ÂŁ1700 and is pretty new so I wouldn't rush out and buy a new TV thinking that will fix the problem (just in case it crossed your mind).

That's quite interesting, my next tv is gonna be the Sammy 46" F86, i think that this also has the HDCP handshake issue from reading these forums, hopefully Gigabytge may sort out a new bios that forces a handshake once the display is detected again.

Gigabyte have just released a nw BIOS F4 that I've applied and I think it may of resolved the issues with resuming from standby. I've tested my PC by changing the channels, turning the TV on and off and the screen appears everytime I turn it back to the PC. It's early days but it looks to of fixed it. Thought I'd let you know.

Cheers slypie, i'll go and update the bios tonight. Fingers X'd hey :smashin:

Edit: have you seen they've release the max clock speed to 2000Mhz now, that's pretty impressive for onboard VGA. Also when i check the memory for GFX in the CCC window it say 894Mb for memory, clock speed 700Mz and core at 400mhz. Is the 894Mb for memory that actual memory allowed for graphics?

I've been having the same issue with my Sammy P96, F4 hasn't fixed it though. I'm watching this thread with interest :(

Still no joy, although I've figured out a bit of a workaround - I've set up two keyboard shortcuts via Cat to drop the colour depth and then raise it again. This display cycling seems to force redetection and you get audio back.

Still not happy, but at least you dont have to get up now. I chose colour since that seems to be the least impactive change (over resolution/refresh), but if you guys find something better let us know.

Yep I updated to F4 last night and still having the no sound issue.

My AV amp blew up not long ago, which was gutting as i would have had the sound go via the optical cable. Not long before i get the new one - Onkyo 606 at the end of the month. Maybe the Onkyo will keep the HDCP Handshake, if not i'll switch to the optical out from the mobo until Auzentech release their HDMI sound card for DTS HD and True HD in July.

Yep I updated to F4 last night and still having the no sound issue.

My AV amp blew up not long ago, which was gutting as i would have had the sound go via the optical cable. Not long before i get the new one - Onkyo 606 at the end of the month. Maybe the Onkyo will keep the HDCP Handshake, if not i'll switch to the optical out from the mobo until Auzentech release their HDMI sound card for DTS HD and True HD in July.

Yeah, sorry guys the F4 Bios fixed my picture not showing problem and I didn't actually check the sound as I didn't have problems with the sound before (or I didn't notice the lack of sound for some reason before). I might buy some speakers and run the sound through the normal sound card to get around the problem as it's defeated the point in building a Media Centre PC with these problems. I might of well just hook my laptop to my TV and play DVD's through that. Hopefully there will be some type of proper fix in the future.

Finally managed to fix the issue - had to downgrade to Catalyst 8.3 as per

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13697104&nojs=1#goto_threadtools

but no longer lose audio after switching channel/off. I'm not sure if downgrading brings further problems of course :)

You can get previous versions of the driver software from ATI's site - I used 8.3 from http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/vista64/commonprevious-vista64.html. Oh, and make sure you uninstall the existing drivers first (I don't think it lets you overwrite them).

Finally managed to fix the issue - had to downgrade to Catalyst 8.3 as per

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13697104&nojs=1#goto_threadtools

but no longer lose audio after switching channel/off. I'm not sure if downgrading brings further problems of course :)

You can get previous versions of the driver software from ATI's site - I used 8.3 from http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/vista64/commonprevious-vista64.html. Oh, and make sure you uninstall the existing drivers first (I don't think it lets you overwrite them).

Nice one I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how I get on.

oops I figured why I had no sound. When I updated the BIOS I set it to optimal settings and forgot to change the input to HDMI/DVI. Once I changed this back everything worked. I didn't need to downgrade anything and I've tested it by changing the channel and switching the TV off and it still works...:D

Glad to hear it.

On the other hand it seems that Cat 8.3 causes me to lose both audio AND video if I turn my telly off for an extended period of time (as opposed to straight away with 8.4). Cycling the display options helps here too, but I think I prefer the previous behavior.

Still, glad to know it's not a hardware issue.

Glad to hear it.

On the other hand it seems that Cat 8.3 causes me to lose both audio AND video if I turn my telly off for an extended period of time (as opposed to straight away with 8.4). Cycling the display options helps here too, but I think I prefer the previous behavior.

Still, glad to know it's not a hardware issue.

I think it is all completely based on your model of TV. Mine is completely fine now, having reverted to Catalyst 8.3. Bios F4. I turn TV off at night and on in the morning and the sound is still there :D. It's a Digihome TV that basically uses Philips internals and Panel, so a really crappy philips at the end of the day.

Slypie is using all the lastest Bios and Catalyst drivers and his TV is fine.... well now he's realised that the bios was set to DVI :rolleyes: :smashin:.

Very strange how this whole HDCP handshake can differ from TV to TV. I thought it would be standardised.

I think it is all completely based on your model of TV. Mine is completely fine now, having reverted to Catalyst 8.3. Bios F4. I turn TV off at night and on in the morning and the sound is still there :D. It's a Digihome TV that basically uses Philips internals and Panel, so a really crappy philips at the end of the day.

Slypie is using all the lastest Bios and Catalyst drivers and his TV is fine.... well now he's realised that the bios was set to DVI :rolleyes: :smashin:.

Very strange how this whole HDCP handshake can differ from TV to TV. I thought it would be standardised.

beat me to it. I was going to say I think it depends on your TV as well as the drivers and BIOS possibly fixing some issues as the latest BIOS seems to have fixed all my previos problems whilst for others it's made no difference.

You could be right, although since the drivers are making such a big difference I'd say that a) the issue is with them and b) it's fixable in software.

Just had a (final, I hope) play and it seems I only lose the signal if I boot the HTPC before turning the telly on - if I already had a picture and sound then turning off/switching channels makes no difference. Daveybryce, I don't know if you left your HTPC on all night?

Anyway, since I only have to cycle the display a maximum of once after booting rather than each time I change channels I'll stick to 8.3 for now.

You could be right, although since the drivers are making such a big difference I'd say that a) the issue is with them and b) it's fixable in software.

Just had a (final, I hope) play and it seems I only lose the signal if I boot the HTPC before turning the telly on - if I already had a picture and sound then turning off/switching channels makes no difference. Daveybryce, I don't know if you left your HTPC on all night?

Anyway, since I only have to cycle the display a maximum of once after booting rather than each time I change channels I'll stick to 8.3 for now.

Hopefully you are right and it can be fixed in software updates so fingers crossed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom