GA-MA78GM-S2H Looks Dead - I need Help

karol.jachimows

Standard Member
Hi Everyone,

I just finished building my first Media Center PC, i just following components:

CPU: AMD X2 5400 2.8 Ghz Energy Effcient
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G Socket AM2+ onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard
RAM: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800Mhz/PC2-6400 Memory GOLD DUAL CHANNEL Unbuffered CL5(5-5-5-18)
DVD: LG Electronics Blu-Ray & HD-DVD-Rom Combo 16x DVDRW Black SATA
HDD: 2x Samsung 1TB
TV-Card: Hauppauge Win TV Nova-T 500 Dual Digital DVB-T Tune
CPU-Cooler: Scythe Mini Ninja Socket 478/775/754/939/940/AM2 Heatpipe Cooler
PSU: Corsair 450W VX 450W PSU - ATX12V v2.2
Case: Antec Fusion Remote Veris Silver MATX Media Center Case - No PSU

I connected all wires as per Antec case manual but my PC still does not want to start?:mad:

When I push the power button nothing happens, even the fans don't start for a half second or the power button starts to glow..I connected the psu using the 24-pin and 4-pin connector for CPU power.

I have received all the componenets from ebayer today , but I am worried now that Corsair PSU might not work with Gigabit motherboard...

Can any one pls help me with this problem? Should i replace the PSU / motherboard? :lease:

thanks,
Karol

Attachments

gvers

Unplug all the connectors apart from the 24 and 4 pin power. Just have the CPU and RAM installed on the motherboard. Short the power switch (2 pins) momentarily and see if it starts. If it does it's something wrong with the connections. Check and recheck them. If not you could short the PSU on it's own to check it but don't worry about that yet.

karol.jachimows

Standard Member
Ok, one problem solved, I just hooked up the antec 24-pin cable , previuosly I used the PSU 24-ping cable and I can now power on the PC from the remote!!:)

But still i have some problems:

Problem #1
I cannot turn off the PC from remote when e.g in BIOS? Is it because I dont have the drivers loaded , i dont have a OS installed yet? can you turn off the PC from the remote without loading up OS?

Poblem#2

i cannot tunr on /turn off the PC using the front power button?

I have noticed that there is one black& white header not connected PW SW ? I dont know where I shoudl connect this black and white wire ?

I aslo notcied that my case has LCD screen , and when I power it on from remote there is nothing on the screen ?

Can any of the Antec users help me with these problems?

thanks!
Karol

gvers

Poblem#2

i cannot tunr on /turn off the PC using the front power button?

I have noticed that there is one black& white header not connected PW SW ? I dont know where I shoudl connect this black and white wire ?

The PW SW is the power switch. This should go to the motherboard connector for the power switch. In the pin header loacted by the SATA ports (page 27 of the manual).

karol.jachimows

Standard Member
The PW SW is the power switch. This should go to the motherboard connector for the power switch. In the pin header loacted by the SATA ports (page 27 of the manual).
What about red and black PW SW?I think i have black and red PW SW connected there.. I thought that this is my power switch lead ? I also could not find these 2 leads M/B power and GND ?http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigginge/2366608589/

thanks,

Last edited:

karol.jachimows

Standard Member

thank you for the link, I saw this on antec web site, the problem is tha i dont even have these with my Fusion Silver case, and I currently can power on the case from the remote so I think these leads are already connected by default? I just cannot power on the case from the power button on the case ? Still dont know where should i plug the black and white Power Switch?

Any idea?

gvers

Are you sure you don't have any power switch connector on the back of the VFD. This is where the black and white cable goes.

Case switch -> VFD -> Motherboard

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
There are three ways of setting up a Fusion with an iMon VFD / LCD unit.

1. Case Power switch directly to motherboard. This will allow you to switch the PSU on from the front panel switch, but not the remote.

2. Power control from VFD/LCD display to motherboard. This will allow you to switch the PSU on from the remote, but not the front panel.

3. Case power switch to VFD/LCD display, power control from VFD/LCD to motherboard. This will allow you to use both the remote control and the case switch.

The problem with 3. is that you have to connect the case switch to connectors on the VFD/LCD panel and this is quite fiddly. (I haven't bothered...)

Sounds like you currently have set-up 2.?

karol.jachimows

Standard Member
There are three ways of setting up a Fusion with an iMon VFD / LCD unit.

1. Case Power switch directly to motherboard. This will allow you to switch the PSU on from the front panel switch, but not the remote.

2. Power control from VFD/LCD display to motherboard. This will allow you to switch the PSU on from the remote, but not the front panel.

3. Case power switch to VFD/LCD display, power control from VFD/LCD to motherboard. This will allow you to use both the remote control and the case switch.

The problem with 3. is that you have to connect the case switch to connectors on the VFD/LCD panel and this is quite fiddly. (I haven't bothered...)

Sounds like you currently have set-up 2.?
Thank you for explanation! It looks indeed that this is set up no2 . Can I use the remote to shutdown the PC, at the moment I am not able to turn it off ( dont have OS installed yet)

One more question? I have Windows vista MCE remote , can I use that to power ON the case ?

thanks a lot!

Last edited:

karol.jachimows

Standard Member
Are you sure you don't have any power switch connector on the back of the VFD. This is where the black and white cable goes.

Case switch -> VFD -> Motherboard
How do I check that?I could not reach the LCD panel from inside the case? Will I need to remove the fron panel to do this?

thanks!

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Thank you for explanation! It looks indeed that this is set up no2 . Can I use the remote to shutdown the PC, at the moment I am not able to turn it off ( dont have OS installed yet)
If you are running Vista Media Center - then one way is to go to select shutdown from tasks and settings in VMC.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
How do I check that?I could not reach the LCD panel from inside the case? Will I need to remove the fron panel to do this?

thanks!
Think that you probably do. The VFD may be more accessible than the LCD - but I haven't bothered and am just using the case power switch. (I can still shutdown by remote - just not switch on - and walking over to the PC isn't a major chore in my current set-up) I'll probably get round to it eventually though.

mak73

Novice Member
Stephen, thank you very much!
I have the LCD and had no clue what to do with the extra pair of connectors.
It happened that I used configuration 1 - "Case Power switch directly to motherboard". Power control from VFD/LCD display was free and I was dying to know what to do with it. Antec's manual sucks:thumbsdow
Indeed, it's a piece of work to connect the Case Power switch to LCD but I did it. The whole procedure took me about 20-30 min.
To reach the required pins on the LCD I had to undo 11 screws. Connected the case power switch and hooray - IT WORKS!!! I am able to switch on the system from both the remote control and the case switch :thumbsup:
The problem was to assemble it back. No, the screwing was not a big deal but the connector I've just connected was too high to fit under LCD cover:oops: (I believe the problem is solved in Antec Fusion Remote. As far as I understand it has a hole in the cover so it is much easier to connect the cable.)
I had to remove the plastic part from the connectors and curve them. Be carefull with it if you decide to do the same - the connectors are rather fragile. And don't try to curve the pins on the LCD!!!:suicide:
After that the assembling was pretty straight forward.
I am happy now but I don't get why Antec does not connect this bloody Case Power switch to LCD/VFD by default:confused:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom